Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I watched this for the first time the other night. Completely missed it's oscar-worthiness I'm afraid. It was okay ( District 9 was waaaaaaaaay better). But there were a couple of things tripped me up. ( Apart from Main Dude being a tad unsympathetic for quite a chunk of the film and never really catching up except for 'oh look I'm a nice guy really even when I'm an asshole who's trying to get you all killed for kicks' neon signposts )Am I just being picky here?

There will be spoilers. Now it could just be I know little about bomb disposal, but if so, please correct me where I'm wrong ( and yes I know the guy is supposed to be reckless, but there's a difference between reckless - that he might get away with when it comes to the brass- and bloody stupid / endangering other people)

So - spoilers.

At the start, with Guy Pearce ( he was in the film for how long? !!) If Bad Dude is going to blow up IED, why doesn't he do it when the guy is standing right next to it instead of waiting for him to walk away? I mean, he wants to blow people up right? So why does he wait?

When you find and IED do you really a) roughly brush off all the dirt from the top with no though to pressure devices. b) When you find a wire attached do you really yank on it? Really?

If confronted with a car that has bombs in it catching fire, do you really walk towards it with a small fire extinguisher?

When a bomb disposal squad and a bunch of mercs ( most of whom are ex special-forces) are together, is the second Bomb Disposal guy who came there from Intel really going to be the best guy with a sniper rifle?

Etc etc

See the first two of these were right at the start and tbh it did put me off a little -- after that I was looking for stuff. Like I say, if you actually would do that, fine. It does seem f'ing stupid though. Even if he is reckless.

So, what was so great about this film?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I watched this for the first time the other night. Completely missed it's oscar-worthiness I'm afraid. It was okay ( District 9 was waaaaaaaaay better).
I don't know why it got all the Oscars and I agree about 'District 9'.

I actually thought 'The Hurt Locker' was well done (except that I cannot comment on the bomb disabling bit; the screenplay was written by a journalist who claims to know about this stuff) as far as making me feel the balance of the tedium and terror of war. As fine as that may be, it's been done before.

It was definitely 'meh' for me.

Last edited:

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
At the start, with Guy Pearce ( he was in the film for how long? !!) If Bad Dude is going to blow up IED, why doesn't he do it when the guy is standing right next to it instead of waiting for him to walk away? I mean, he wants to blow people up right? So why does he wait?

Maybe more people come to help? Maybe you want to see exactly what they do to disarm the bomb so you will know how to better rig future bombs? Maybe you tried to blow it up right away but the signal on the phone dropped?

But ultimately, as long as they are in the kill zone, then there is no real hurry.

When you find and IED do you really a) roughly brush off all the dirt from the top with no thought to pressure devices.
For most devices, roughly brushing dirt off is fine, or put another way, if the device was 'that' sensitive then anything would set it off to include cars driving by, people walking by, even the wind, etc.

b) When you find a wire attached do you really yank on it? Really?

I don't think i'd say he 'yanked' it. With that type of setup, it is highly doubtful that the pull of the wire would be the trigger mechanism. If the bomb was set up like a trip wire, then yes, but when a bomb is buried like that, then no.

or put another way, how does someone trip across a buried wire? So that would make a very poor triggering mechanism.

If confronted with a car that has bombs in it catching fire, do you really walk towards it with a small fire extinguisher?

IIRC they didn't walk, more like ran. But the bombs looked like mines and artillery shells IIRC. Fire wouldn't set them off instantly, they'd probably have to heat up so you have a few seconds to put the flame out. Abandonning the car will guarantee it blows up.

When a bomb disposal squad and a bunch of mercs ( most of whom are ex special-forces) are together, is the second Bomb Disposal guy who came there from Intel really going to be the best guy with a sniper rifle?

This is a fair point. But most people think that 'anyone' in the Army can shoot a sniper rifle just as they think that a pilot can fly 'any' aircraft. And also, it wasn't as if he was a great sniper, his first few shots missed so it wasn't that inaccurate and I found it to be plausible.

See the first two of these were right at the start and tbh it did put me off a little -- after that I was looking for stuff. Like I say, if you actually would do that, fine. It does seem f'ing stupid though. Even if he is reckless.

What was so great about the film for me is that it showed a different aspect of war that most people don't see. Most war films are about infantry vs. infantry, but this one was about a support group, EOD.

Also, it takes a different kind of courage to try to disarm a bomb and thus that is a different kind of drama that most people have never really seen before. And we got to see how that impacted the characters day in and day out.

I agree, I don't think it was Oscar Worthy, but at the same time, I did like it.

Lastly, as someone with both technical and military experience I try my hardest to not let that keep me from enjoying a film. Otherwise, i'd hate about 60% of the films I see. Granted, sometimes its impossible to suspend disbelief when the script is ridiculous. But I thought overall, Hurt Locker was okay in that regard.

Mel...

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Maybe more people come to help? Maybe you want to see exactly what they do to disarm the bomb so you will know how to better rig future bombs? Maybe you tried to blow it up right away but the signal on the phone dropped?

Well as they were evacuating it sems unlikely more people would turn up.

But ultimately, as long as they are in the kill zone, then there is no real hurry.
he waited till the guy was right on the edge of the kill zone, so he almost missed he chance. Stoopid.

For most devices, roughly brushing dirt off is fine, or put another way, if the device was 'that' sensitive then anything would set it off to include cars driving by, people walking by, even the wind, etc.

Fair enough. Makes you wonder just how delicate any are- but that should be shown / explained pressure devices are though, Cos they surely blow people's legs off. Or dogs. Or cats. A rough pressure seems to me ( as I say not an expert) would at least risk it where you don't have to if you can you know, not be rough

I don't think i'd say he 'yanked' it. With that type of setup, it is highly doubtful that the pull of the wire would be the trigger mechanism. If the bomb was set up like a trip wire, then yes, but when a bomb is buried like that, then no.
But until you pull the wire how do you know if it's a trip or not? Surely at this point, discretion is the better part of having a brain ( especially given the deviousness of many IEDs) Just grabbing a wire and pulling 6 IEDs up is normal? It might actually be cool and it just looked daft. Maybe someone could have said, cos his comrades seemed pretty f'ing freaked. And the guy ran off and didn't detonate? Change of heart? Sudden attack of concious? Didn't think that a sodding great blast wouldn't take the heat off of people following him cos they're screwed? Dude, these insurgents just aren't trying

or put another way, how does someone trip across a buried wire? So that would make a very poor triggering mechanism.

But aren't booby traps on these fairly standard? If not, I blame the papers for telling me they are.
IIRC they didn't walk, more like ran. But the bombs looked like mines and artillery shells IIRC. Fire wouldn't set them off instantly, they'd probably have to heat up so you have a few seconds to put the flame out. Abandonning the car will guarantee it blows up.

They didn't know what was in there until after the fire - until then they just were fairly sure it was a suicide bomber. It could have been anything in there ( again IIRC)

What was so great about the film for me is that it showed a different aspect of war that most people don't see. Most war films are about infantry vs. infantry, but this one was about a support group, EOD.
Sorry, seen waay better.

Also, it takes a different kind of courage to try to disarm a bomb and thus that is a different kind of drama that most people have never really seen before. And we got to see how that impacted the characters day in and day out.
Yeds it does. And I'm not sure it did. I was way more interested in the giy who died straight off thatn I was Main Dude. Cos a soldier who risks his comrades lives..not sympathetic

Lastly, as someone with both technical and military experience I try my hardest to not let that keep me from enjoying a film. Otherwise, i'd hate about 60% of the films I see. Granted, sometimes its impossible to suspend disbelief when the script is ridiculous. But I thought overall, Hurt Locker was okay in that regard.

Mel...

fair enough. It just seeme dto me that this guy would have been rounded up by the brass and taken off the job if he was risking his crew like that

Last edited:

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
I think I see where the confusion is. You must not watch much TV. The bomb disposal guy was a) American b) a rebel. In terms of kickass-fu, this combination is even more potent than radioactive spider bites and canned spinach. In one of the outtakes he monkey-stomped Superman.

He was trying to decide whether Guy Pearce was REALLY an american rebel type (in which case he didn't want to waste the explosives) or not. As soon as he figured out Guy was faking the accent he blew him the fuck up.

When you find and IED do you really a) roughly brush off all the dirt from the top with no though to pressure devices. b) When you find a wire attached do you really yank on it? Really?

It's optional. Yanking does take more time than just glaring the bomb into submission, but he knew if it went off he could just outrun the explosion.

Honestly, that part was sort of weak. I wish he'd just peed on the fire to put it out the way John Wayne did to that burning oil rig in Hellfighters.

Again, one of the mercs was Ralph Fiennes, a brit. As part of his years of special forces training he learned that the most effective way to handle situations like that is to die promptly so the American Rebel can get down to business.

Yes, yes. I know what you're going to say: James Bond. Highlight for spoiler: Secretly, he's The Fonz.

It had Maggie from Lost.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It had Maggie from Lost.

You mean Kate (Evangeline Lily).

It's an AMERICAN movie about an unpopular war. It's very good. Is it Best Picture? I am not sure. But I think part of it is just backslash against James Cameron and Avatar.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Well as they were evacuating it sems unlikely more people would turn up....he waited till the guy was right on the edge of the kill zone, so he almost missed he chance. Stoopid.....But until you pull the wire how do you know if it's a trip or not? Surely at this point, discretion is the better part of having a brain

I think the general problem you had with this film is that you would have done some things differently.

Different doesn't necessarily mean 'better'.

In any situation there are multiple reasonable actions. It is very possible that yanking on those wires (in that one scene) could have set the bombs off. It is also possible that it would not. It is possible that the bombs in that UN scene were hooked to a timer and were NOT hooked up to a remote detonator (we did use jamming equipment in certain locations)

I remember a recon Marine debriefing a company commander about the types of mines that were being used during Desert Storm 1991. The particular mine in question was available in two types. Type I was the expensive kind with a mercury switch, Type II was the cheaper kind that just had a pressure gauge. The Type II mines were easy to disarm in the field (or something like that)

The Marine told the Commander he was fairly sure that the mines were all Type II. The Commander asked him how did he know. The Marine responded that he picked up several mines and wobbled them (shifted them around) and that they didn't blow up.

Everyone looked at this Marine like he was crazy, then someone said, "Damn Recon" and everyone laughed.

It takes a certain type of crazy to do that stuff.

Basically, could the scenarios in the movie have gone differently? Absolutely. But that doesn't necessarily mean it was incorrect.

So you should suspend some disbelief and try to enjoy the movie. Otherwise, you can drive yourself crazy getting hung up on what you would have done.

Mel...

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on the positive side with this one, though I can see why it wouldn't appeal to everyone. It's a character study of why (some) men go to war rather than an action movie. (District 9 was one of the four Best Picture nominees I haven't managed to see yet so can't comment. I'd have spat blood if Avatar had won anything other than the technical awards it did win.)

For me it's a film made by its direction, but I've been aware of Kathryn Bigelow's abilities since I saw The Loveless and Near Dark in the 1980s. Thankfully justice prevailed and she did win.

I also liked the cameos from Guy Pearce and Ralph Fiennes, and it was a nice touch that the biggest names in the cast got killed off quickly. I'm not qualified to comment on technical accuracy re bomb disposal.

Snapz

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
The Hurt Locker wasn't bad, but neither was it 6 Oscar's good. Both Inglourious Basterds and District 9 were heaps better. I also would have spat blood if Avatar won anything else, and I thought it was total robbery that District 9 didn't take home a single Oscar.

The Oscar's have lost all credibility in my books... just like Roger Ebert. I rarely agree with him either.

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Different doesn't necessarily mean 'better'.
I appreciate that
In any situation there are multiple reasonable actions. It is very possible that yanking on those wires (in that one scene) could have set the bombs off. It is also possible that it would not.

My problem is not necessarily that he did it ( he might just be damn stupid and say hey, let's try, after all) but that, as you say, they possibly could have gone off and he didn't get a dressing down for endangering the people in the vicinity, some of whom were troops on his side. Taking that risk ( that there weren't movement / pressure stuff on the bombs) doesn't seem all that much of a reasonable action. Frankly I'd assume a bomb disposal expert that reckless wouldn't live too long and / or would fairly quickly show up as a risk and get shunted somewhere else.

Basically, could the scenarios in the movie have gone differently? Absolutely. But that doesn't necessarily mean it was incorrect.

So you should suspend some disbelief and try to enjoy the movie. Otherwise, you can drive yourself crazy getting hung up on what you would have done.

Fair enough. And normally I'm pretty good at suspending my disbelief -- but it can only go so far. Those scenarios near the start just dragged me totally out of the story ( which led to me looking for more) The fact that the rest of it was quite 'meh' for me ( partly cos I didn't like the Main Dude) meant I had time to look too :D If I'd have enjoyed it more, I probably wouldn't have cared so much.

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
The Hurt Locker wasn't anything amazing. I think it won more on politics surrounding it than anything else.

District 9 was a way better move...but so was Avatar, Inglorious Bastards, and Precious.

I've been hearing buzz about this movie since it came out last year but I wouldn't have ever considered it a Best Pic winner. The nomination is cool but nothing more than that.

I almost feel that the Hurt Locker won more because the Academy DIDN'T want James Cameron to win instead of on merit alone. But in retrospect, Avatar probably shouldn't have won either (that was my pick originally).

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
I remember a recon Marine debriefing a company commander about the types of mines that were being used during Desert Storm 1991. The particular mine in question was available in two types. Type I was the expensive kind with a mercury switch, Type II was the cheaper kind that just had a pressure gauge. The Type II mines were easy to disarm in the field (or something like that)

The Marine told the Commander he was fairly sure that the mines were all Type II. The Commander asked him how did he know. The Marine responded that he picked up several mines and wobbled them (shifted them around) and that they didn't blow up.

Everyone looked at this Marine like he was crazy, then someone said, "Damn Recon" and everyone laughed.

It takes a certain type of crazy to do that stuff.

You realize he was bullshitting, right? (And is ordnance disposal a Force Recon job?)

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
You realize he was bullshitting, right? (And is ordnance disposal a Force Recon job?)

I don't think he was bullshiting.

I don't remember all the particulars (especially since this isn't my area of military expertise), but there was some sort of troop movement that was supposed to happen and that if the mines were Type II, then the movement could more or less happen, but if the mines were Type I, then it couldn't and they'd have to do some alternate route which would somehow up their exposure and cost lives.

He was not disposing of the mines, he was recon and was scouting a particular route.

FWIW, If he was bullshiting, it was well done. But he was briefing an entire auditorium full of military members about the particulars of his role in Desert Storm, so I'd think he was telling the truth.

but back to Idi, I too have been pulled out of movies. One in particular that completely pissed me off was Harrison Ford in Firewall. I just try my damnedest not to let that happen because once it does, it is almost impossible to enjoy the rest of the movie.

Mel...

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think he was bullshiting.

I don't remember all the particulars (especially since this isn't my area of military expertise), but there was some sort of troop movement that was supposed to happen and that if the mines were Type II, then the movement could more or less happen, but if the mines were Type I, then it couldn't and they'd have to do some alternate route which would somehow up their exposure and cost lives.

He was not disposing of the mines, he was recon and was scouting a particular route.

FWIW, If he was bullshiting, it was well done. But he was briefing an entire auditorium full of military members about the particulars of his role in Desert Storm, so I'd think he was telling the truth.

Dunno, was actually in the field and not getting briefings other than the quick INTSUM from the S2's spook shack, but you'd have to be a real special kind of stupid to pick up a munition of unknown origin and give it a shake to determine what its trigger might be. I don't think even any of the bubbas with the 5th Legion who gave us small arms tactical training and SERE would do something like that, but then and again, we needn't agree on everything. :)