What is a good book to read next?

nickadocker

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I’m looking for a good book to read and was hoping someone here might have a few suggestions. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I Googled “how to find good books to read” with little success, so let’s see if I can clarify to you what I’m looking for. I really enjoyed “Tuesdays with Morrie”, and I just finished reading “A Million Miles in a Thousand Years” by Donald Miller and loved it. I think what these books have in common is that they challenge the reader to consider what they strive for in life, and what would truly make them happy. I love that in a book. That’s what I’m looking for, a book that makes you stop mid-page to reflect on your life and think about what’s really important. If anyone can recommend anything to read that might even slightly have that quality please let me know, I’d greatly appreciate it.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Thanks!<o:p></o:p>

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Why don't you browse the section in the library that houses the books you mentioned and see if you can find something you like by reading the book covers. I usually stay in a particular section of the library until I exhaust it...if I find a book I like in that section. It sounds like you may be going for self-help...on a personal experience level. Find the books that surround those books you mentioned at your library...that's a good place to start. I'm guessing you joined here to ask about books to read...but if you're a writer planning on staying---welcome to AW. Welcome even if you're just stopping by. (-;

nickadocker

Registered
Reaction score
hey KTC, I really appreciate the suggestion. Probably becuase I spend most of my time on a computer, a library didn't even cross my mind, great idea though, I'll give it a shot and see what comes up. And thanks for being so helpful to a newbie. :)

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Here's an easy way out - search the title of the book you finished and enjoyed on Amazon.com, then scroll down to the bottom of the page and see "what others who bought this book also bought" ... I do that A LOT when I fall in love with a title. Odds are good you'll find a similar read that you'll enjoy.

Jennifer = Lazy.

nickadocker

Registered
Reaction score
Another great idea -- thanks Jennifer (btw, I like your avatar, made me laugh).

Not sure if anyone here has read "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years" by Donald Miller, but I really recommend it. Esp. to writers because the book teaches a bit about story and character development, which is a cool bonus. Also, if you want to read more about story-structure in a non-fiction work, I heard that a lot of Donald Miller's book was based on the much thicker, and harder to go through "Story" by Robert McKee. I haven't read that yet, but am thinking about it... Any thoughts on that book?

stefanie_gaither

has on cool socks today.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey there fellow newbie! :hi: Tuesdays With Morrie is one of my all-time favorite books. Have you read any of Mitch Albom's other stuff? The Five People You Meet In Heaven and For One More Day are both great; I have his newest book too, called Have a Little Faith...haven't finished it yet but so far I'm really enjoying it as well. I'm going to have to check out A Million Miles in a Thousand Years myself--it sounds like something I'd enjoy reading.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
From what I hear "The Serpent Moon"
by C.T. Adams & Cathy Clamp is worth a look...

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
I'll mention it here...I swear, I say this on every thread because I loved the book that much...Richard Yates' "Revolutionary Road"

really makes you look at your life

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
A Thousand Splendid Suns. If I've ever read a book that made me thankful for my life, that was it.

nickadocker

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for all the great ideas guys! I've got some research on Amazon to do now... :)

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey there fellow newbie! :hi: Tuesdays With Morrie is one of my all-time favorite books. Have you read any of Mitch Albom's other stuff? The Five People You Meet In Heaven and For One More Day are both great; I have his newest book too, called Have a Little Faith...haven't finished it yet but so far I'm really enjoying it as well. I'm going to have to check out A Million Miles in a Thousand Years myself--it sounds like something I'd enjoy reading.

I'm going to start The Five People You Meet In Heaven real soon. It's on the shelf with the others, waiting.

I'll mention it here...I swear, I say this on every thread because I loved the book that much...Richard Yates' "Revolutionary Road"

really makes you look at your life
I keep mistaking this one for The Road my McCormick. Sigh...

A Thousand Splendid Suns. If I've ever read a book that made me thankful for my life, that was it.
Ooh I've got this on my shelf, waiting for the right moment...

Wow, thanks for all the great ideas guys! I've got some research on Amazon to do now... :)

I love Amazon. And once you've found your titles that you want to read - look for them on Bookmooch.com

(I swear, they don't pay me ;)

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
"The Dying Animal" by Philip Roth...a quick read with excellent writing and, um, memorable moments ;)

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
I went back and re-read books from high school and college novel/literature classes. I got a lot more out of them than when I was a teenager.

All Quiet on the Western Front
To Kill a Mockingbird
Tom Sawyer
Of Mice and Men
The Old Man and the Sea
The Great Gatsby
Lord of the Flies

Or, I can recommend nearly anything by E.L. Doctorow or John Irving.