Sending Revised Partial?

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Question

I got a partial request on Feb 10. But since then, I've gotten some agent feedback and decided to revise the first three chapters. The work is stronger now, so I was wondering if it would be okay to email the agent, tell her I've updated my first three chapters and ask if she'd like it.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? I mean, I'd hate it if she were to reject the partial even though it's the old version. Then again I don't want to seem unprofessional since technically your supposed to send your best work out in the first place. At the same time, sometimes you think you're sending out your best work but after you start querying actual agents and get some feedback you realize there's more you could have done.

Anyway, what should I do?

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Question

I got a partial request on Feb 10. But since then, I've gotten some agent feedback and decided to revise the first three chapters. The work is stronger now, so I was wondering if it would be okay to email the agent, tell her I've updated my first three chapters and ask if she'd like it.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? I mean, I'd hate it if she were to reject the partial even though it's the old version. Then again I don't want to seem unprofessional since technically your supposed to send your best work out in the first place. At the same time, sometimes you think you're sending out your best work but after you start querying actual agents and get some feedback you realize there's more you could have done.

Anyway, what should I do?

This is one of those issues that comes up every now and again.

Most agents I've seen answer the question say do not bug them with revised partials. If they ask for more, you can send the revision or if they take more time than expected and contact you to apologize, then it would open the door to offer up the revised partial. So, that's what I always assumed was the norm.

But I've seen a few say, sure, send it, what's the worst that could happen? I've already started the first one and don't care? But that seems to be the minority opinion.

So, it's a risk. Especially given you haven't sent the first so long ago.

So...ask yourself how much the partial *really* has changed. Is it drastically different - ie, different characters, POV, plot or arc? If yes, then maybe it's worth the risk. Then again, what if the agent liked the first partial more, since those were the pages she requested from?

But if it's not drastically different, I'd say trust the agent to see the potential if they are at all interested and not bother with only minor changes (ie, tightened writing or minor plot changes but essentially the smae chapters).

Ultimately, you need to trust your instinct. But if it is still essentially the same three chapters, with no major plot or character changes, I wouldn't send a revision.

~suki

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah it is essentially the same chapters just with tighter writing, minor plot changes etc. I guess I should just keep faith and hope she likes what I've given her.

This agent said she'll respond in 2 months, but since she's at Bologna right now I wonder it'll take longer :\

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, now it is really different. Really different and stronger. I know it's bad form to send a revised partial but I don't want to lose out on an agent just because of protocol.

What should I do (this is a different agent who I sent the ms to on Feb 25).