Goal: get out of this slump...

rowriter

Bibliophile
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlcdawriter.blogspot.com
I'm almost 80k words into the first draft of my first novel. My original goal was a 100k first draft, and I'm still aiming for that. But....

Each day I do the writing and usually hit my word count goal, and I'm still feeling muddled, losing confidence and feeling stuck even while I'm moving forward. And as I continue writing, the amount of inconsistencies in the work grows, meaning tons of work in the rewrite.

Is this the mid-book blues or just me losing focus? When will it end???? I'm hoping soon. Though I sometimes get the feeling this is what it's going to be like till I'm done with the first draft completely.

My second novel is definitely going to have a synopsis before I start writing...I mean, one that's longer than three sentences.

I started this project intent on finishing; sometimes I think the work is being compromised because I'm being so dogged about getting out all the words before I start messing around with everything (so many messed up scenes, it's hard to write new ones). But, I'm still sticking with the idea that finishing a first draft is better than screwing with it endlessly and then never completing it (which is the trap I always fell into with previous attempts at a novel).

La Reine

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe you're worrying about too many things at once. I also felt like my novel had to be at least 60,000 words. Now I'm not counting the words and I'm freer to write.

Also, the whole point of writing without an outline is to have the story flow organically from one point to another. Of course there are going to be inconsistensies, but it's not as if you won't correct them in subsequent drafts.

I think by this time you should have a good idea of who the characters are at least. That helps rein in the plot and keeps it from going all over the place. Aside from that all I can say is don't worry about meeting a daily or final word count. It's all about whether how the story comes together, not how long it takes in doing so.

Hope this helps...

rowriter

Bibliophile
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlcdawriter.blogspot.com
I think you're definitely right about worrying about too many things, I'm getting really anxious about the ending and how I will write it (and how it ties in with the beginning which will probably change anyway, etc. etc.), instead of focusing on the scene at hand. I'm going to try to stop worrying! Thanks for the reply. :) Tomorrow I'm going to try to write without thinking of the ending or how many words I'm getting down.