PDA

View Full Version : Scary

sheadakota
03-22-2010, 02:34 AM
Soo ... My daughter is 11 and we have recently let her start to ride our very reliable gelding outside the roundpen along a few trails with us.
My husband took her out today as I didn't feel like riding, I saw them off and went to clean outside stuff.
About 15 minutes later- her horse comes galloping back to the barn- without her!
I tell myself not to panic my husband- an experienced horse man and a Nurse is with her- I get her horse put him in the barn and thank God- I see them- BOTH walking back to the house leading the other horse-

Long story short- the horse took advantage of her inexperience and when she accidently dropped the riens- he took off at a gallop back home and she got dumped.

A bloody nose, some bruises and a severly damaged confidence level- it could have been so much worse-

She never wants to ride again ( I hope she changes her mind once she calms down)
I just held her while she cried, then cleaned her up- of course my husband blames himself-it was in no way his fault- but you know-

I think I was more scared than her-

(Oh she did have a helmet on BTW)

brainstorm77
03-22-2010, 02:36 AM
Geez. My two young nieces ride and I worry about them. They look so small when on the horses but they love every minute of it.
I'm glad she's ok and yay for the helmet.

sheadakota
03-22-2010, 02:44 AM
She was so proud of herself and this gelding is usually so good with her! He is 35 years old but he's still a horse- My husband says he didn't spook, just decided he had enough and went home-
I remember getting dumped and I understand how she feels- but I hope she doesn't give up something she loves!

Susie
03-22-2010, 02:45 AM
Gee, I'm sorry that happened, but so glad she wasn't hurt badly. Kids are resilient and bet she'll be back in no time. Hope so anyway. :Hug2:s 'n :Cake:s!

sheadakota
03-22-2010, 02:56 AM
Thanks Susie! i think she'll be back riding again too- Now I just need to find her a little suit of armor to wear!

Gretad08
03-22-2010, 03:00 AM
Poor kid...and poor mom! When I was about that age my Dad took me riding at a stable with trails. My horse took off and I had to be 'rescued' b/c I panicked and it was only about the 3rd time I'd been on a horse. No worries though, I rode again and still love horses. She'll be okay! :)

Medievalist
03-22-2010, 03:11 AM
Speaking as someone who managed to slide off a horses' rump because he decided he wanted to go much much faster, the sooner she can get back on the better, even if one of you is leading the horse. I was so nervous when I got back on that I was worried I was going to throw up, but managed.

sheadakota
03-22-2010, 03:14 AM
My thoughts exactly- I didn't want to push her- but I took her to the barn to at least see the horse- so she could tell him she was made at him- but her nose was bleeding and she was sobbing, didn't want to traumatize anymore than she already was-
I think she will start back in the round pen when she does get back up on him-and work from there

Medievalist
03-22-2010, 03:26 AM
My thoughts exactly- I didn't want to push her- but I took her to the barn to at least see the horse- so she could tell him she was made at him- but her nose was bleeding and she was sobbing, didn't want to traumatize anymore than she already was-
I think she will start back in the round pen when she does get back up on him-and work from there

I'm so sorry--she has my sympathies.

sheadakota
03-22-2010, 03:29 AM
Aww don't worry she is resilant- she just told me- Mom, I'm not mad at Panther (the horse) anymore-the healing begins

heyjude
03-22-2010, 03:31 AM
Poor kid! :Hug2: That must have been scary for her. I hope she and the horse make up.

Oops, cross post. Glad she's feeling better. :)

Angie
03-22-2010, 03:45 AM
When I was a kid, I had a Pinto pony. We lived on a hog farm. He was terrified of hogs. And dogs. And shadows. And any other freakin thing that moved. Plus he was very, very green.

My mom was leading him one day with me on his back, and one of our dogs ran across the trail behind him - at least 50 yards behind him. He freaked anyway, took off, threw me off behind him and yanked the rope through my mom's hands. I wound up with a scrape that covered my entire back.

Moral of the story? I still love riding to this day. I'm sure your daughter will regain her confidence, especially as she learns more about riding. Glad she wasn't hurt too seriously - I know it had to be scary as hell seeing that horse come home riderless.

sheadakota
03-22-2010, 03:56 AM
Thanks Angie- and you're right that was the worst- seeing the horse- knowing something had happened and knowing I had to wait until my husband came home to find out what!

milly
03-22-2010, 04:06 AM
She was so proud of herself and this gelding is usually so good with her! He is 35 years old but he's still a horse- My husband says he didn't spook, just decided he had enough and went home-
I remember getting dumped and I understand how she feels- but I hope she doesn't give up something she loves!

I don't usually get terribly personal with my posts but...this time, it warrants it...just like drinking alcohol or doing drugs or riding a motorcycle...pick your poison, anything you do comes with dangers so, this is my two cents worth on this very random issue of riding horses...

I lost a sister when I was seven and she was 13 after she was thrown from a horse...she died from a severed brainstem but without scratches or bruises of any kind...so surreal even after 26 years

Be careful with your babies! :(

sheadakota
03-22-2010, 04:16 AM
Oh- Millworth- How tragic for you and your family! I am so sorry for your loss and trust me I will take that advice- As a trauma nurse I have seen my fair share of freak accidents take young lives- it is such a scary fine line between keeping your kids safe and keeping them in a bubble- my hear goes out to you-