PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon

Wavy_Blue
03-21-2010, 10:29 PM
Yeah. So Pokemon deserves its own discussion thread, so here it is.

Anyone else picked up HeartGold/SoulSilver yet? I got my HeartGold last night, and I'm loving it. Gold/Silver were probably my favorite of all Pokemon games, so I'm excited to relive it with new innovations and such. Plus the Pokewalker is super duper.

I picked Totodile for my starter. When I originally played Gold, I picked Cyndaquil, so I wanted to mix things up. I never pick the grass types. Does anyone pick the grass types? They just always seem to be a heck of a lot less cool than the other types.

Anyone else? Thoughts/impressions on the new game? Favorite Pokemon? Favorite games? Let's discuss our favorite monster training game.

Adam
03-21-2010, 11:03 PM
The only Pokemon I've played was Ruby (I think) for the GBA. I didn't think I'd enjoy it, but it was a lot of fun. :)

If I were to buy a DS, I think a Pokemon game would be the first thing I bought. ;)

LOG
03-22-2010, 06:18 AM
Played Blue, Silver and Ruby, then they seemed to lose their appeal somehow.

Wavy_Blue
03-22-2010, 08:11 AM
Yeah, I certainly think Ruby/Sapphire are the weakest in the series. Which is too bad since they came after Gold/Silver, which are pretty much regarded as the best. I liked Diamond/Pearl quite a bit, though. The new Pokemon were a lot better this generation than the one before.

I hope the next new installment brings something completely new to the table. A new battle system would be nice. New movesets for beginning Pokemon (I swear, if I see the attack "leer" one more time...). Or, heck, change the gym challenge format altogether. I'd be awesome if they made it more open ended. They've got such a huge world to work in, I'd love to see some serious self-guided adventure with Pokemon.

Does anyone else find it odd that parents in the Pokeworld let their children leave home on an adventure with dangerous animals all by themselves at age ten? They could learn a thing or two about responsible parenting...Although I don't know if this was ever specifically mentioned in the games. I know it was in the show, though. (P.S., how long has Ash Ketchum been ten??? He's almost as bad as Bart Simpson!)

maxmordon
03-22-2010, 08:17 AM
I played Blue and Silver many moons ago, ah, the fond memories... the waste of AA batteries...

I always found odd that Ash never ever went to school (there were even schools there?), but the oddest bit for me is that there was never some sort of government or infraestructure except Nurse Jennies and Officer Joys, hell, I started a trope in TVTropes based on it. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SkeletonGovernment)

Fran
03-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Anyone else picked up HeartGold/SoulSilver yet? I got my HeartGold last night, and I'm loving it. Gold/Silver were probably my favorite of all Pokemon games, so I'm excited to relive it with new innovations and such. Plus the Pokewalker is super duper.

No, I only have one working DS and I like to get all three starter Pokemon in the one game. It's a tedious hassle transferring them over but it's really worth it.

I picked Totodile for my starter. When I originally played Gold, I picked Cyndaquil, so I wanted to mix things up. I never pick the grass types. Does anyone pick the grass types? They just always seem to be a heck of a lot less cool than the other types.

The grass types are very powerful once you level them up - the problem is they have to go through their last evolution before they're really any use. A grass Pokemon doing leaf-cutter on an ice type is more often than not instant KO, and one of the Elite Four usually has ice Pokemon. :)

C.bronco
03-22-2010, 04:43 PM
My son has Soul Silver, and all of my Pokemon knowledge is secondary via his studies. I will, however, alert him to this thread!

DragonHeart
03-23-2010, 06:36 AM
I was a Pokefreak back in the day. I've played Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, Ruby, LeafGreen and Diamond. I wasted a lot of batteries lol. The GSC generation of games was my favorite, especially Crystal. I've considered picking up SoulSilver but I'm a bit Pokemon'd out right now. XD

sunandshadow
03-23-2010, 07:09 AM
I'm holding out for a tactical game where you can control a team of several pokemon on a chessboard-like field. That would be way better.

LOG
03-23-2010, 07:28 AM
I always kept the sound turned off, used surprisingly few batteries.

Wavy_Blue
03-23-2010, 07:32 AM
I played Blue and Silver many moons ago, ah, the fond memories... the waste of AA batteries...

I always found odd that Ash never ever went to school (there were even schools there?), but the oddest bit for me is that there was never some sort of government or infraestructure except Nurse Jennies and Officer Joys, hell, I started a trope in TVTropes based on it. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SkeletonGovernment)

I hadn't ever thought about the government thing, but that is very odd, now that I think about it. There was at least one episode where Ash had a run in with some kids at an academy, but I'm pretty sure it was a POKEMON academy. So who knows. Maybe Team Rocket really does control the world...

Fran--you're right about the grass types being good when they're leveled up. But I think that's part of the reason why I never pick them as my starters. It's harder to level them up, and I get easily impatient at the beginning of the game before I really get a team of Pokemon.

Hafta admit, Bulbasaur and Turtwig are pretty cool, though. I never liked Chikorita or the gecko one (Treeko? Or was that one of the evolutions?) very much.

maxmordon
03-23-2010, 07:46 AM
This is the reason why Team Rocket doesn't control the world. (http://www.brawlinthefamily.com/comic159.html)

sunandshadow
03-23-2010, 08:13 AM
Heheh I thought this was the reason team rocket never accomplished anything
http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/5074/080324wr7.jpg

maxmordon
03-23-2010, 08:39 AM
More about Pokemon from VG Cats:

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=284

tarcanus
03-23-2010, 11:23 PM
I actually loved Pokemon back in the day, but then the gameplay started to change and I won't play another one until Nintendo stops milking everyone by releasing 2 versions with varying numbers of pokemon on them every time new games come out.

For me Pokemon:

- Started to get old when nearly every Poke could learn nearly every move through HMs and TMs. They should stick to their own elements + basic normal moves

- Definitely got old when I realized Nintendo was milking the fans

- Certain things like friendly evolutions that had no clear way to track(unless this has changed in recent versions)

- Needs to have an MMO made. There is so much potential and Nintendo could milk the fans through expansions and additions instead of hitting us for multiple cartridges every release. Instanced battles based on terrain chosen. Multiple PCs could set up battles with each other. Legendary and Rare pokemon could be Raid bosses. Players could choose to be breeders instead of fighters. Gym leaders could still be bosses and the number of badges you had in game would dictate to other players how proficient you are, etc. I think the potential would be endless.

What would get me playing again would be if a pokemon game was created that allowed you to get ALL pokemon in a single game utilizing trades with NPCs and difficult solo quests to find the legendaries and uniques(like celebii and jirachi). I'm tired of being blocked from collecting them all by a corporation.

That said, it's my dream to have an all Eevee team, someday. With the addition of Leafeon and Glaceon, I'm one step closer. All they need is a rock/ground type eevee and I'm set.

And in response to the grass type dislike in this thread, I almost always chose the grass type on my initial play in every Poke game I bought - mainly because of the love I have for Bulbasaur and its evolutions.

Wavy_Blue
03-23-2010, 11:58 PM
- Certain things like friendly evolutions that had no clear way to track(unless this has changed in recent versions)

In Diamond/Pearl, there was a program on the Poketch that could tell you how happy your Pokemon was. I used this to track my Riolu when trying to get it to evolve into Lucario.

What would get me playing again would be if a pokemon game was created that allowed you to get ALL pokemon in a single game utilizing trades with NPCs and difficult solo quests to find the legendaries and uniques(like celebii and jirachi). I'm tired of being blocked from collecting them all by a corporation.

I actually disagree with this. The more recent games on the DS have made Pokemon trading possible with anyone in the world with a wi-fi connection, so I really don't see a need to put every single Pokemon into one game. And I kind of like the giveaway events. The thing is, if everyone could get every Pokemon, then the legendaries start not being so legendary anymore, and Celebis will become as common as Rattatas.

sunandshadow
03-24-2010, 12:35 AM
- Needs to have an MMO made. There is so much potential and Nintendo could milk the fans through expansions and additions instead of hitting us for multiple cartridges every release. Instanced battles based on terrain chosen. Multiple PCs could set up battles with each other. Legendary and Rare pokemon could be Raid bosses. Players could choose to be breeders instead of fighters. Gym leaders could still be bosses and the number of badges you had in game would dictate to other players how proficient you are, etc. I think the potential would be endless.
I also think that would be great (provided it had tactical combat). Unfortunately, they've specifically said they aren't going to make a Pokemon MMO. But then again maybe that's fortunate, it leaves room for others to try to make a monster-breeding MMO without being stuck trying to be consistent with Pokemon's history and huge number of monsters.

It would be fun to design a monster breeding MMO, I'd work up a design if I thought anyone would actually make it. But no one would, so it would be pointless. :(

tarcanus
03-24-2010, 12:53 AM
In Diamond/Pearl, there was a program on the Poketch that could tell you how happy your Pokemon was. I used this to track my Riolu when trying to get it to evolve into Lucario.

I actually disagree with this. The more recent games on the DS have made Pokemon trading possible with anyone in the world with a wi-fi connection, so I really don't see a need to put every single Pokemon into one game. And I kind of like the giveaway events. The thing is, if everyone could get every Pokemon, then the legendaries start not being so legendary anymore, and Celebis will become as common as Rattatas.

Well that's good that they finally included something that told you how happy a poke was. I remember trying to breed espeons and umbreons in gold/silver but never knowing how happy the pokes were.

I always overlook the DS' wi-fi capability as I'm not very thrilled with the DS in general. I guess my problem also stems from the fact I'm a solo player at heart and am not very social. Therefore, the social nature of needing to know lots of people to be able to make all the necessary trades makes me angry. Why can't a solo player have fun, too? :(

Anyway, why not expand this topic into: What is your ideal party of Pokes?

Wavy_Blue
03-24-2010, 07:43 AM
Anyway, why not expand this topic into: What is your ideal party of Pokes?

Hmm, this question requires much thought. But generally speaking, I like to have a water, fighting, grass, dark, electric and psychic type in my group. Sometimes I switch electric and fire, but the others are musts.

*goes to pick particular pokes*

Wavy_Blue
03-26-2010, 01:47 AM
Anyone want to submit a nomination for worst Pokemon name? 'Cause there are some really bad ones out there.

I think Geodude is particularly bad.

maxmordon
03-26-2010, 02:18 AM
Anyone want to submit a nomination for worst Pokemon name? 'Cause there are some really bad ones out there.

I think Geodude is particularly bad.

Mr. Mime; especially creepy when you consider he's essentially a humanoid creature depraved from liberty and forced to fight with animal just for the amusement of its masters.

Anybody remembers the Lavender Town music? Anybody was creeped out by it... along with Pokemon Tower... "shrugs".

sunandshadow
03-26-2010, 02:36 AM
I always overlook the DS' wi-fi capability as I'm not very thrilled with the DS in general. I guess my problem also stems from the fact I'm a solo player at heart and am not very social. Therefore, the social nature of needing to know lots of people to be able to make all the necessary trades makes me angry. Why can't a solo player have fun, too? :(

I often feel that way about MMOs because I'm mainly a solo player too and the required group play irritates the heck out of me.

Technically you can do everything in the pokemon series by yourself if you have either 2 handhelds and a link, or are playing on an emulator. But it is really annoying to have to play essentially the same game twice to get a few different pokemon.

LOG
03-26-2010, 08:00 AM
I often feel that way about MMOs because I'm mainly a solo player too and the required group play irritates the heck out of me.

Technically you can do everything in the pokemon series by yourself if you have either 2 handhelds and a link, or are playing on an emulator. But it is really annoying to have to play essentially the same game twice to get a few different pokemon.

Most MMO's no longer require group-play.

Wavy_Blue
03-26-2010, 08:29 AM
Mr. Mime; especially creepy when you consider he's essentially a humanoid creature depraved from liberty and forced to fight with animal just for the amusement of its masters.

Anybody remembers the Lavender Town music? Anybody was creeped out by it... along with Pokemon Tower... "shrugs".

That music was very haunting. As was the Mt. Moon music and even the Viridian Forest music. Man, Red and Blue definitely had the best music. They made good use out of those scratchy gameboy sounds. Or maybe that is exactly why they were so creepy...

sunandshadow
03-26-2010, 09:05 AM
Most MMO's no longer require group-play.
Must not be the same ones I'm playing. o.O Dofus, Perfect World, and A Tale In the Desert all require group play; WoW doesn't require it but if you only solo you miss at least 30% of the game's content. Heck even zOMG requires group play. The only one I can think of where group play is a minimal part of the game is Maplestory.

maxmordon
03-26-2010, 09:57 AM
That music was very haunting. As was the Mt. Moon music and even the Viridian Forest music. Man, Red and Blue definitely had the best music. They made good use out of those scratchy gameboy sounds. Or maybe that is exactly why they were so creepy...

Horror in 8-bits! You can't top that nowadays. That's why Nosferatu is haunting in silent grainy film...

tarcanus
03-26-2010, 11:30 PM
Must not be the same ones I'm playing. o.O Dofus, Perfect World, and A Tale In the Desert all require group play; WoW doesn't require it but if you only solo you miss at least 30% of the game's content. Heck even zOMG requires group play. The only one I can think of where group play is a minimal part of the game is Maplestory.

Hell, even in Maplestory, if you're not grouped up, it's going to take you 30 minutes and 300 arrows just to clear a 'room' once you start seeing some tougher enemies. MMOs just aren't made with solo players in mind. Even if you can solo you miss out on 30%+ of the game's content, as sunandshadow already pointed out.

When it comes to bad poke names, I think about half of the 4th generation's pokes have awful names. I can't think of any off the top of my head as it's been quite a while since I've memorized all of the pokes, but I definitely recall the 3rd tier evolutions of Magmar and Electabuzz to be pretty bad. Not only that, but the 3rd tier Magmar looks like a transformer - why couldn't they have kept with the 'fire duck' thing they had going on with Magmar.

To answer my own question from earlier, my favorite team would be one made entirely of various Eevees, but the team I usually ended up using consisted of:

- Grass type - Venasaur all the way(Though Meganium was rather fun, too)
- Fire type - I enjoyed Slugma and Magcargo, strangely enough
- Rock or Ground type - I was always fond of Golem
- Water type - Often Vaporeon when the water starter wasn't available
- Psychic type - Almost always Alakazam
- Electricity type - R/B/Y = Raichu and G/S/C = Ampharos

I never really got into using the dual-types too much as I felt it opened me up to too many vulnerabilities. That and many dual-types learn crappy moves for both type to compensate for be 2 types. Maybe they've changed that since I've played.

tarcanus
03-30-2010, 11:56 PM
New news: There is going to be a 5th generation of Pokemon. They've revealed two of the new pokes, which look like evil, dark foxes. They are Zorua(i think) and Zoroark. Supposedly the 5th generation games will be revealed sometime soon, too.

LOG
03-31-2010, 12:42 AM
Must not be the same ones I'm playing. o.O Dofus, Perfect World, and A Tale In the Desert all require group play; WoW doesn't require it but if you only solo you miss at least 30% of the game's content. Heck even zOMG requires group play. only one I can think of where group play is a minimal part of the game is Maplestory.

Those are not what I would call the height of MMO gaming...
Except for WoW, and trust me when I say that there new grouping system makes the difficulties of grouping almost disappear, save for actually coordinating said group.

sunandshadow
03-31-2010, 08:14 AM
Those are not what I would call the height of MMO gaming...
Except for WoW, and trust me when I say that there new grouping system makes the difficulties of grouping almost disappear, save for actually coordinating said group.
What would you call the height of MMO gaming? *curious* I've tried several other MMOs than those (Flyff, MixMaster, Rhyzom, Earth Eternal, Second Life), but the first list I gave are the ones I played for a fairly long time and found complicated enough to be interesting.

Zefiris
04-08-2010, 10:08 PM
Red and Blue were my favs.

I did hate though that each game had unique Pokemon that you couldn't catch in the other game and to get ones like Golem and Machamp you had to trade.

Was just a blatant money making scam by Nintendo there. Plus when Pokemon was all the rage I was like a 13/14 year old kid. We couldn't afford the 9.99 link cable so trading was made pretty much impossible :(

Never got all the Pokemon and I'm still bitter about that now :)

Wavy_Blue
04-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Hey, fellow Pokefreaks! Breaking news!

http://ds.ign.com/articles/108/1082670p1.html

Black and white. What d'you think? I like it. Sounds classy. I wonder what the typical third game will be, though. Can't do Silver. Brown, maybe? Yech. That sounds bad. Pokemon Brown.

Avisek
04-15-2010, 10:33 PM
I never really liked grass types. They're weak against fire, which is ok, but they are weak against ice, and most trainers with water types have at least one good ice move. Plus I'm a big fan of charizard, and his favourite food was grass types.

I'm playing Soul Silver now. The music is pretty good for a pokemon game. Ive been playing pokemon since gold came out, and this is probably the first time I'm playing the game with the sound turned on.

I liked ruby/sapphire a lot. I think Emerald is my favourite of all poke games.

My Ideal team would be -
-> Charizard/Blaziken - Ruthlessly strong fire types who can't stand for long, but as long as they're out there they can do some serious damage
-> Tyranitar - Awesome. Period.
-> Mew - This thing is too good. Totally worth getting from an event
-> Gardevoir - Very low defense. Very high special attack and special defense
-> Salamence/Dragonite - I dont like dragonite anymore though...
-> Milotic - Awesome. Period.

tarcanus
05-13-2010, 07:48 PM
For anyone who deems in interesting, the 5th generation starters have been revealed as well as some screens from the new games.

Check out serebii.net or pokebeach for the details!

dclary
05-14-2010, 04:27 AM
I always pick Pikachu and Squirtle. And I don't let them evolve.

fezfrascati
05-15-2010, 01:13 AM
I'm still holding out for a Pokemon MMORPG. It would work so perfectly.

fezfrascati
05-15-2010, 01:14 AM
I wonder what the typical third game will be, though. Can't do Silver. Brown, maybe? Yech. That sounds bad. Pokemon Brown.

I'm thinking Marble. Pokemon Marble has a nice ring to it.

Fulk
05-19-2010, 02:16 AM
I'm still holding out for a Pokemon MMORPG. It would work so perfectly.

You're not the only one who thinks this would be a good idea. There's an established world (all of the various regions), some 400-500+ Pokemon, and all in all a good deal of content. The biggest issue, I think, would be figuring out group dynamics--Pokemon, as far as games go, has always been a solo adventure, minus some team battles. So the only real multiplayer aspect would be social interaction, trading, and random battles.

I'm also not sure how combat/battles would work. The battle system as it is now (limited movesets and turn-based combat) would be pretty boring when translated to an MMO. Sure, MMOs tend to be turn-based, but they at least do a decent job of hiding that fact.

On the other topic, I picked up Pokemon SoulSilver and have been enjoying it a lot. It looks much better than previous Pokemon games, even Diamond/Pearl, I think. I'm not very far, but it's nice to encounter a lot of 1st and 2nd gen Pokemon again. I hated most of the ones from Ruby and Sapphire, and 4th generation was a pretty mixed bag.

Wavy_Blue
05-19-2010, 07:25 AM
You're not the only one who thinks this would be a good idea. There's an established world (all of the various regions), some 400-500+ Pokemon, and all in all a good deal of content. The biggest issue, I think, would be figuring out group dynamics--Pokemon, as far as games go, has always been a solo adventure, minus some team battles. So the only real multiplayer aspect would be social interaction, trading, and random battles.

I'm also not sure how combat/battles would work. The battle system as it is now (limited movesets and turn-based combat) would be pretty boring when translated to an MMO. Sure, MMOs tend to be turn-based, but they at least do a decent job of hiding that fact.

On the other topic, I picked up Pokemon SoulSilver and have been enjoying it a lot. It looks much better than previous Pokemon games, even Diamond/Pearl, I think. I'm not very far, but it's nice to encounter a lot of 1st and 2nd gen Pokemon again. I hated most of the ones from Ruby and Sapphire, and 4th generation was a pretty mixed bag.

Agreed, the newbies from Ruby/Sapphire were awful. The only decent ones I can think of are Mudkip and Duskull.

Since you brought it up, I would love to see a real-time battle system in Pokemon. Even though I love Pokemon, I've always preferred real-time battle systems, and I think implementing one would be a fresh--and in my opinion, welcome--change to the series.