PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Beta Reader for 50k Young Adult novel

Becky
03-21-2010, 10:29 PM
OH, BROTHER is a 50,000 word novel that I wrote during NaNoWriMo 2009. I've finished my initial round of editing and could really do with some feedback on it. I don't necessarily need line-by-line, although I'm happy if that's what you want to do, but an overall opinion and thoughts for improvement are just fine too. Here is a short summary:

Lily Afton argues with her brother daily: about how he always drinks the last of the milk, how he's always using the computer, how he raids her secret chocolate stash and how he embarrasses her in front of his fit mates.

Then Sam's shot. He dies instantly - but for some reason, Lily can still see him. As the only one he can communicate with, he's got to make an effort to get on with her - and with him constantly around, she's got no choice but to start making an effort too.

They are surprised to find they do have quite a lot in common - but Sam can't stay around forever, and Lily is torn between wanting to spend time with her brother and needing to get on with her life. She's got all the ordinary issues that teens have to deal with, along with grieving parents and a severe lack of privacy. As she pretends to be grieving and tries to take care of those who actually are, she finds it harder and harder to keep a firm grip on her life.

Can the friendship that's blossomed between them end happily considering that one of the siblings is no longer living?

Please PM or reply here if you're interested! Thanks =]