Anti-health care bill spit on, call Congressmen the "n" word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Grump

Hates Marketing. Loves Writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mktheodoratus.com
I don't think fanatics really care. If you're not with them, you are automatically sub-par by their definitions.

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
Methinks it is possible to make too much of this, namely suggesting that opposing the Obama administration is racist.

On the other hand, recent history shows it is even easier to pretend many people are making that claim--and even easier to ignore the amount of racism aimed at Obama, or perhaps more accurately the amount of racism his election has stirred to the surface.

Romantic Heretic

uncoerced
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.romantic-heretic.com
The Tea Party consists, as near as I can tell, entirely of ideologues. Ideologies of all stripes are not about being good. They're about being right.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
And, of course, all the Tea Party members are equally responsible for the actions of a few, so let's just lump them all together under the heading of *racist fanatic ideologues.*

Yep. That makes sense.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
As with everything else that involves the choices in this nation there are folks that throw out very bad slurs/words at those that support something they are against. This really does not surprise me. I do not approve of this name calling in any situation. If you dislike the stand someone has then state the real reasons, otherwise, it just shows you have no class. Just like what I have stated here....it is only an opinion and we all have them. It's too bad the rest of the world sees and hears us do this.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
And, of course, all the Tea Party members are equally responsible for the actions of a few, so let's just lump them all together under the heading of *racist fanatic ideologues.*

Yep. That makes sense.
And who has done that?
The Tea Party consists, as near as I can tell, entirely of ideologues. Ideologies of all stripes are not about being good. They're about being right.
I don't think fanatics really care. If you're not with them, you are automatically sub-par by their definitions.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
for all of those justifiably outraged by this:

please use this thread to post links to video and audio of protesters yelling racial and homophobic slurs at members of congress this weekend.

with the eyes of the world on DC for the health care vote, with the proliferation (indeed, over saturation) of cable news crews with their vans and their cameras and their satellite antennae, of bloggers with the camcorders and youtube accounts, of thousands of protesters on both sides with cell phone video cams, there simply must be copious amounts of footage, and we owe it to future generations to document this mass outpouring of racism in our nation's capital.

Last edited:

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
Not so fast, Don.

This statement . . .
Romantic Heretic said:
. . . does not call them '"rascist fascist idologues." Just ideologues. That's a very different thing. No rascist or fascist.

And this statement . . .
The Grump said:
. . . calls them fanatics, also a different thing. I'm a bit of a fanatic myself, as are you.

My point is that Rep. Nunes did not distance the GOP from (or even condemn) the behavior, which everyone agrees is from a small subset of Tea Party folks. Rather, he excused it, essentially by saying : "what can you expect, with the Democrats behaving in this evil way."

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com

please use this thread to post links to video and audio of protesters yelling racial and homophobic slurs at members of congress this weekend.

with the eyes of the world on DC for the health care vote, with the proliferation (indeed, over saturation) of cable news crews with their vans and their cameras and their satellite antennae, of bloggers with the camcorders and youtube accounts, of thousands of protesters on both sides with cell phone video cams, there simply must be copious amounts of footage, and we owe it to future generations to document this mass outpouring of racism in our nation's capital.
Capital Police led the spitter away, and the spittee declined to press charges. I'll try and find the link. It happened.

Here it is.

Last edited:

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Capital Police led the spitter away, and the spittee declined to press charges. I'll try and find the link. It happened.

Here it is.
I believe William, in his usually subtle way, is underlining that this was an isolated incident involving a few of the thousands of otherwise peaceful and respectful tea partiers, and is being blown out of proportion to demonize that movement.

Just like when you see links of numerous racist signs at their rallies, the hundreds of non racist signs are ignored.

Nobody has do demonize this movement. They do a fine job all by themselves.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i'll re-iterate what i said in the other thread: racism is repugnant whether practiced by one or a thousand.

but it's looking as if it was for closer to the former than the latter; though the latter seems to be being peddled as the case for political purposes.

Last edited:

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Yep. That makes sense.

Works for me.

You can only hang around people who shout "nigger" and "faggot" and spit on Congressmen they disagree with and ridicule people suffering from Parkinson's Disease before it becomes safe to presume you don't find the association uncomfortable.

Is this one of those "if a tree falls in a forest and nobody is there to hear it does it make a sound?" scenarios?

Simply because a incident isn't recorded so it can be yanked off of You Tube doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Works for me.

You can only hang around people who shout "nigger" and "faggot" and spit on Congressmen they disagree with and ridicule people suffering from Parkinson's Disease before it becomes safe to presume you don't find the association uncomfortable.

Agreed, but blaming every one of the folks in the crowd still doesn't get us to blaming ALL of the organization.

Would any of us take the blame for everything said here in the 'Cooler? And yet, we continue to hang around.

Last edited:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
here's one view of the procession. lots of dissent; no slurs that i hear.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-SCs6pSE8_I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-SCs6pSE8_I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

here's one from archpundit, claiming that at 12 seconds in the word "nigger" is clear. do you hear it? i don't.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TPoJGNhWB-s&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TPoJGNhWB-s&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

AncientEagle

Old kid, no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed, but blaming every one of the folks in the crowd still doesn't get us to blaming ALL of the organization.

Would any of us take the blame for everything said here in the 'Cooler? And yet, we continue to hang around.

Yeah, but I don't let my friends know it.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

If you want to separate the fleas from the dog, Williebee, you can do so. I don't feel quite as charitable.

Williebee said:

The difference being that in this forum there is a semblance of balance and no decent person here would have any tolerance for vicious racist and homophobic slurs.

here's one view of the procession. lots of dissent; no slurs that i hear.

here's one from archpundit, claiming that at 12 seconds in the word "nigger" is clear. do you hear it? i don't.

So what?

Given a choice between what you say you don't hear and what John Lewis said he did hear, John Lewis gets the benefit of the doubt.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Given a choice between what you say you don't hear and what John Lewis said he did hear, John Lewis gets the benefit of the doubt.

fair enough. and if lewis was exposed to such a vile slur, it should be condemned. my problem is not with lewis.

it's with those who, out of cynicism and political greed, will try to play it up as the consensus, indeed the banner, of an entire movement.

because they are more interested in victory than they are in the consequences of exploiting racial division through the faulty math of "a handful of racists in a group of thousands = everyone who opposes obama is a racist" which, for many, is the ultimate goal, in my opinion.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I did hear something at around that mark, and it did begin with an 'n' sound. It was like "kill the bill, n-, kill the bill, n-". But it was not clear to me what was said. That microphone doesn't pick up everything, and I'm guessing John Lewis had a better vantage point.

Status
Not open for further replies.