Think I Made a Mistake

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
I just brought home a puppy yesterday....and I think I'm regretting it.

I did all my research, thought long and hard about getting a dog (over a year) but I think I thought too long. Kind of like 'the moment has passed' long. I kind of started feeling the regret a couple weeks ago but I thought it was just because I was nervous. I've never owned a dog before. But now that she's here...I don't want her. She's sweet, I'm starting to get her to go outside but I'm hating this constant up and down (I live on the 6th floor of an apartment building and taking the elevator makes my anxiety shoot through the roof, so it's stairs both ways). My mom loves her, and she is just the perfect temperment, but she's not the one taking her out. She's not the one feeding her. She's not the one who was up at 6am to let the pup out of the kennel. And she works all week, and unless she's gonna want to take the dog out before work, well I don't know what. I know dogs are work, and I fully understood that a dog was going to be more dependant on me than a cat but I don't know if I can wait out the next few months. And I feel so horrible and stressed.

Any advice, anyone?

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
a puppy is a huge commitment...and dogs stay puppies for a while...if you know that you cant' do the frequent pottying or deal with the whining and whimpering of puppies when you leave them or put them in a crate to sleep, etc...or the constant chewing of your things because yes, all puppies chew your stuff...then do something now...don't feel bad about doiing it...a puppy won't go unclaimed elsewhere...who doesn't love the idea of a puppy?

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmm... you haven't had her long enough to get all the wonderful stuff that makes the work worth it. Puppies can be annoying to the best dog lover, too.

I don't know. I'd give it a while longer to see if she warms your heart that special way. 6 flights are awesome exercise, and fun with a dog. But if you don't think so before too long, then maybe it's not a good fit. That's certainly possible.

Good luck :)

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you really feel you've made a mistake, take him back. A dog is a huge commitment and regretting owning a dog is a guilt grenade you don't need. The dog will be happier with someone who is delighted to have him, and you will be relieved.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I kind of think they're right, as much as I hate to say it. I mean, I've always tended to think of puppy stage as they're so cute and lovable you can put up with the annoying things, but if that's not working for you, it's probably not going to be working for you all that much when she's older, either. She's still going to have to go out and be fed and walked and taken to the vet, etc. It's much easier for a puppy to be adopted than an older dog, and if she's already housebroken you'll have an easier time finding a home. It sucks, but I just have a hard time thinking if you hate it now you'll hate it any less in the future.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
The thing is she's really great with the housebreaking. Her first night in the kennel and no accidents, she only whined for about 15 minutes last night which wasn't unbearable and slept through the night. So she's adapting well to a new home. I just don't know if this is just adjustment pains and that I'll adapt to it (I know taking her out every hour isn't going to last forever) or if maybe I'm not much of a dog person after all.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All I can add is that I'm not much of a dog person, but when an adult Anatolian cross was abandoned in my neighborhood a week before xmas, I took her in. It worked out fairly well while I lived on a farm, though the poor dog obviously had to adjust to life outside instead of being a house dog. A few months later my housing situation changed, my life changed, and I kept her long enough to ensure a good home for her. I miss her sometimes but she's got a great place now and I was really lucky in placing her. (The first place didn't work out at all, and they almost didn't give her back to boot.)

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Puppies are a lot work. They are a lot like babies when they are little. You might have been better off adopting an adult dog. I think you should talk to your mom just so she has a head's up, but you probably should find that puppy a home with people that won't resent the commitment she represents.

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
I agree with the others, and also that you should make up your mind soon. A puppy stands a much greater chance of finding a home than an adult dog. That said, I also agree with tjwriter - consider adopting an adult dog. But keep in mind that a dog is work, regardless of age. You're still going to have to take it outside at least twice a day, and should be taking it for walks, not just a quick potty break and right back in. If you're bothered by the potty breaks now, maybe you're right - a dog might not be for you.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
Well I have talked to my mom, and between her and I, I think we've managed to work out something. I think what was bugging me the most was that this was a decision we both came to re: getting a dog (I live with her, so when it comes to pets it has to be something we both agree on) but I felt like I was the one doing all the work and I resented that. And I was projecting that on the puppy, because really she's doing really great. Housebreaking and whining issues are pretty much gone. So I think I'm going to try and stick it out. Thanks everyone for weighing in though, I do appreciate it. I love that you're never really waiting long for advice around here :)

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Puppies are a lot of work but they do grow out of that stage! Faster than you'd think--time passes so quickly. I've raised a number of the little suckers (starting from 8-12 weeks). If you put in the effort now and get her trained properly you'll be rewarded in the end with a balanced, loyal, fun companion who'll be with you through thick and thin. :)
I usually adopt senior pups because puppies do test my patience! ;)

If you do decide that it's just too much, don't feel guilty. Dogs/cats/horses/etc. aren't for everyone. I'm sure you could easily rehome her if it came to that!

Cheers and good luck. Sit. Stay. Come. Good girl. (to the pup, not you!). :)