PDA

View Full Version : Abrams Artists Agency (Maura Teitelbaum)

Brukaviador
03-21-2010, 07:22 AM
Anyone have any info on Maura Teitelbaum of Abrams Artists Agency?

Found her on Ageny Query:
http://www.agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=600

She has a $ on P&E but I was wondering if anyone here has had any specific dealings with her.

CaoPaux
03-21-2010, 07:53 AM
Adding link: http://www.abramsartists.com/

Roly
03-21-2010, 08:59 AM
Doesn't look like they accepted unsolicited queries.

waylander
03-21-2010, 05:03 PM
According to Ms Teitelbaum's AQ page she takes snail mail queries. I would trust the accuracy of that over what it says on the agency website as Ms T will have written that for herself. The agency website submissions policy seems generic for everything they handle and not specific for novel length fiction.

Brukaviador
03-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Anyone have any specific dealings with the agency?

F.F.
04-28-2010, 10:24 PM
That website is pretty non-specific. Sales listed on AQ are from 2004. I'm trying to dig up some info on her as well, check this link -

http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/mauraekt/

Still not exactly incredibly helpful in making a decision as whether or not to send a query her way.

*shrug*

F.F.

CaoPaux
01-25-2011, 08:03 AM
Oh, dear. http://www.observer.com/2010/daily-transom/steve-ross-run-books-division-abrams-artists-agency

Ross will serve in a "dual capacity," according to the Abrams release. He will both oversee literary representation, and run Abrams Author Services, a consultation service for self-published authors.No mention of such services on their website, though.

cassandra
02-07-2012, 05:37 AM
Anyone have any specific dealings with the agency?

I got a reply the day after I sent a cold query to Mr. Ross.

It's a very prestigious agency. I'd also be interested to hear others' experiences with them.

It's the fastest response I ever received from a query. He wrote it. Said he was very intrigued and looked forward to reading the 50 pages I sent (which were unsolicited!)

What about Emma Sweeney? Know anything about her?

Ken
02-07-2012, 08:17 AM
Ross will serve in a "dual capacity," according to the Abrams release. He will both oversee literary representation, and run Abrams Author Services, a consultation service for self-published authors.

... :rant:

Schedlinski
02-17-2012, 10:47 PM
Abrams is a top agency for theatre and film, representing David Mamet and others. Books have not traditionally been their thing.

Sunburn
02-25-2012, 11:49 PM
Anybody know anything about them? Reputable or no?

Stijn Hommes
02-25-2012, 11:58 PM
Are you talking about http://www.abramsartists.com/literary.html ?

If you did, it appears the only untowards piece of info I could find was that a sex offender was able to work in its youth casting division for some time, apparently without any ill effects to the auditioning kids.

What bothers me about the website I linked to is that it doesn't give pertinent information on who is running the place, that it has a wide variety of businesses it is involved in, and there is very limited submission guidelines or any idea about what they accept. I'm deferring to more experienced people for a final judgement, but right now, I'm not feeling overly confident about the place.

Sunburn
02-26-2012, 12:26 AM
Are you talking about http://www.abramsartists.com/literary.html ?

If you did, it appears the only untowards piece of info I could find was that a sex offender was able to work in its youth casting division for some time, apparently without any ill effects to the auditioning kids.

What bothers me about the website I linked to is that it doesn't give pertinent information on who is running the place, that it has a wide variety of businesses it is involved in, and there is very limited submission guidelines or any idea about what they accept. I'm deferring to more experienced people for a final judgement, but right now, I'm not feeling overly confident about the place.

Yeah that is the place.

Hm, thanks for the info.:)

Stijn Hommes
02-27-2012, 03:22 AM
Abrams is a top agency for theatre and film, representing David Mamet and others. Books have not traditionally been their thing. Thought as much. Wouldn't approach them with a novel, their expertise lies elsewhere.

LaneHeymont
03-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Thought as much. Wouldn't approach them with a novel, their expertise lies elsewhere.

I found an Amy Wagner that supposedly works in this agency repping fantasy. She's a member of the AAR, any thoughts?

Here's the link (http://www.aaronline.org/Content/Members/MemberPublicProfile.aspx?pageId=417813&memberId=6621385) to her AAR member page.

popgun62
03-17-2012, 08:27 AM
I sent a query to Ms. Wagner (for a supernatural thriller) via the e-mail address on her AAR page and received a full request within minutes. She has some pretty decent clients: Ian Holt, Edward Lazellari, Pearl Cleage, etc. I'll let you know how it goes.

LaneHeymont
03-17-2012, 06:56 PM
I sent a query to Ms. Wagner (for a supernatural thriller) via the e-mail address on her AAR page and received a full request within minutes. She has some pretty decent clients: Ian Holt, Edward Lazellari, Pearl Cleage, etc. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks. I was going to query her just based on her AAR page, but checked out the website and found this:

All queries should be submitted in writing through an Industry Professional such as a Producer, Artistic Director, Literary Manager, Director, Choreographer, etc.

So, I was like :Wha:

popgun62
03-17-2012, 07:10 PM
I saw that, too, but figured that if her AAR page says she's open to e-mail queries and has an e-mail address, I'm going for it!

LaneHeymont
03-17-2012, 08:06 PM
I saw that, too, but figured that if her AAR page says she's open to e-mail queries and has an e-mail address, I'm going for it!

Seriously. You have nothing to lose! Besides, I've noticed that agents will sometimes ignore what their website "says" and responds to queries sent to them directly.

waylander
03-17-2012, 10:15 PM
It is often the case that the website has been written for the organisation as a whole (ICM is a good example) but the agent personally fills in information like their AAR page or their AQ entry.

WTF is a 'literary manager' anyway?

LaneHeymont
03-17-2012, 10:18 PM

Honestly, I was going to pose that myself as a...red flag? But Amy belongs to the AAR, so I assumed that was just a company thing.

popgun62
03-24-2012, 07:40 PM
Received an e-mail from Ms. Wagner on the 21st acknowledging receipt of my manuscript and saying that she would be reading shortly. They haven't been in the literary field long (except for screenplays and stage plays) but Ms. Wagner already has some impressive clients and sales. Anyone else have any experiences with Abrams Literary, good or bad?

Dryad
07-19-2012, 04:32 AM
I haven't been able to find info on Amy Wagner either, other than her AAR listing. Definitely interested to hear how your experience goes, Popgun. I don't like that the agency appears not to specialize in books.

CaoPaux
12-09-2012, 01:34 AM
For better or worse, I'm not finding further mention of Abrams' "Author Services". Mr. Ross has racked up some sales, though, to Ballentine, Random House, et al.

D. S. Eerie
05-03-2017, 07:18 AM
I'm querying agents and was just wondering if there were any recent updates on this agency?

flowerburgers
10-17-2018, 09:31 AM
It is often the case that the website has been written for the organisation as a whole (ICM is a good example) but the agent personally fills in information like their AAR page or their AQ entry.

A literary manager works at a theater, selecting scripts for production.

I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on Abrams too. An agent from there contacted me and I'm surprised because my book--as far as I can tell--doesn't resemble what they publish.