New Yawkers. Love history? I need help!

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
I've been away for awhile, just going to town on a new WIP (over 37,000 words already. Yay me!)

What I need is some historical knowledge. I have never been to New York City (I know, shame on me). I've been surviving with several wonderful websites pointing out historical sites, etc.

What I need to know is....
If I have a couple who are living around Broadway or thereabouts in 1916, and decide to go to NJ to elope (I'm thinking Fort Lee because of the strong movie presence there at the time), how will they do it?

The George Washington Bridge wasn't completed until later, the Holland Tunel wasn't completed yet either. Would they have taken a train overland and around? Or a car? Or was there a ferry working at the time that I haven't found yet?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? :D

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Check the trains. Ferry service would be the other option. You might start with a google search of Grand Central Station (it might have been called a bit differently back then); then try New York Central Railway and see what you can find. Puma

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
There surely would have been any number of ferries running between Manhattan and New Jersey. Just say they took "The Ferry."

mtrenteseau

Mild-mannered accountant by day...
Registered
Reaction score
You might start with a google search of Grand Central Station (it might have been called a bit differently back then);

It probably would have been a ferry.

I'm curious about why they go to New Jersey - for many years Elkton, Maryland was the northeast's big quickie marriage city.

And the big building at 42nd and Park is Grand Central Terminal. Grand Central Station is the subway stop located in the same building.

Grand Central Terminal opened on February 2, 1913.

(There's an architectural drawing of Grand Central Terminal hanging in my office.)

Last edited:

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, mtrent-etc - I knew it had a different name but couldn't come up with it. Puma

mtrenteseau

Mild-mannered accountant by day...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, mtrent-etc - I knew it had a different name but couldn't come up with it. Puma

Everyone makes that mistake - even Beyonce in her new song. :)