PDA

View Full Version : Anyone who knows a lot about Buddhism?

Michael Wolfe
03-21-2010, 02:59 AM
Hello,

I don't have a particular question, but rather, I'm looking for someone who might be willing to take a look at a whole story. The reason I posted this here instead of in SYW is that I'm looking for someone who has a decent knowledge of Buddhism, particularly Buddhist monasticism, rather than a general critique. The only thing I need is feedback on the religious aspects of the story, and nothing else unless the reader wants to, just to be nice.

Also, I know that some people are weary of newbies asking for critiques, so I would be willing to trade a critique, where I do the critique FIRST, if that sweetens the deal for anyone. I'm also a published writer, if that makes me more attractive as a reviewer.

Lastly, the story I have is very short (only 2,400 words), so it would not be very time consuming, in all likelihood.

Thanks so much,

Michael

Tsu Dho Nimh
03-22-2010, 04:15 AM
What is the specific aspect of monasticism you wonder about?

Unlike Catholic priests, Buddhist monks can decide to fold up their robes and hand them to the abbot with no hard feelings. A common pattern is for young men to be monks for a few years, getting educated, and for older men to return after a career is over and a spouse has died.

Michael Wolfe
03-22-2010, 07:13 AM
Thanks for your reply. You actually seemed to guess one of the things I was wondering about. I have two characters who become monks at a young age. One character later decides to leave the monastery because he wants to get married and have children. The other character is skeptical of his friend's decision and ends up living his entire life in the monastery. If it's normal for a monk to give up his ordination, then perhaps the one character could just be sad to see his friend leave?

Also, just how uncommon would it be for a monk to stay in the monastery his whole life? As long as it's a viable option for my character, that's what I want him to do.

Thanks so much for your help.