A chef who listened.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
A week or two ago I had to take my daughter (accompany her because she's technically a minor) to a doctor's appointment in the nearby (90 mins away) city. After the appointment we went to a restaurant for lunch. The seasonal specialy was grilled chicken breast topped with a portabella mushroom cap that had been topped with a swiss, parmesan, panko topping. I got it. It was a new item. It was ok, maybe even good, but could have been better very easily. Surprise surprise the chef came out and asked how the new item was. I've been accused of asbergers and or brutally blunt but answered, "It was good, but could have been great had they added just a dash of worchestershire and a bit of roasted garlic on the chicken, but the mushroom was perfect, and as usual the veggies were perfect.He said, "Worchestershire sauce and roasted garlic?""Yeah, that's probably all it needs."He seemed to wander off absentmindedly.Today we went back to that city to order her a prom dress (nice an tasteful, easily would double as a formal dress for interviewing for a high tech job since she's moving off to college in a few months, but anyway) she ordered the special and after one bite she said, "Dad, didn't you tell them to add worchestershire and garlic to this dish?""Yeah, so, places never actually listen to complaints.""Taste this," she insisted.I swiped a piece of the oat bread in the gravy and laughed."They added it," she laughed too, adding, "and it's awesome. I tried yours just a week ago and this is so much better!"Taste the mushroom," I suggested. "That didn't need any change."A look of rapture crept across her face after eating a bite and she asked, "How do you do that? You taste things and can deduce the recipe and make them better.""That's my superpower," I answered, "But you have to give credit to the chef who actually listened.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
The chefs I know (including my son) are ALWAYS talking shop, swapping ideas and trying new recipes.

They can usually tell if an addition is going to taste good in their dish -like Worcestershire- or if it will clash -like maple syrup.

Sounds like you're a natural, or a self-trained cook. :)

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes I can do that to recipes on paper that I haven't even tried yet. "Oh, if I just add this and this and cut back a little on this, it would really take it to the next level."

I don't think I've left more than ten recipes alone in the past two years unless they were my own. That's awesome that the chef listened!

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
That is cool. It sure shows he is not threatened by outside advice. I wish I could pen point things like that. All I know is if it is good or not. Maybe you missed your calling....;)