Converting Urban Fantasy to Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forestqueen808

What can I say? I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm living in a shack with my characters.....
I once had a thumbdrive, and then my brother borrowed it and lost it, and on that thumbdrive, there lived my urban fantasy story.....so its gone now. I have six chapters out of 23, but now I am thinking of rewriting it over again, even though that was what I was in the middle of doing. But lately, I've been wondering if I should change it from Urban Fantasy to just plain Fantasy. When it was just a short story (I was 8) it was pure fantasy, when I was 13 and it was a novel it was urban fantasy. But there are some flaws with urban fantasy, well with mine. Like, okay they had a big battle...how do the humans not know about it and blah blah blah...what should I do? Urban fantasy or fantasy?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
The big question is: where is it SET? Is it modern in the here-and-now or in a distant time/place? Fantasy is reliant on worldbuilding. Urban fantasy can cross the boundary between contemporary "things we already know" with tweaks to real world. It still requires worldbuilding, but not as much. True fantasy has to develop all separately from current world. Which do you have?

Forestqueen808

Registered
Reaction score
In the original it is in a normal world, though there is a lot of fantasy creatures in like the forest and stuff....but I can't decide, Lord of the Rings is making me really want to do pure fantasy, but I suck at world creating. :p

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
As someone who likewise sucks at worldbuilding, I recommend urban fantasy to start. It can later develop into its own world. But worlds need all the things THIS world does: religion, monetary system, history, culture, and language. J.K. Rowling managed a fantasy within an urban fantasy wrap. Hogwarts was, in fact, a fantasy as well-developed as Narnia--with all the trappings. And, like Narnia, she pulled someone from this world inside to explore. If you like LoTR, then you'll have to build a true fantasy reality. I think you CAN do it, but development isn't Butt-in-chair writing so to start, I'd go with UF to get words on page. You'll find the ability to create the background and history will develop. It's like a muscle that needs to be trained. :)

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Worldbuilding is, IMO, vastly overrated. Only build what you need as the story develops. A tiny fraction of the readership, at best, will notice the shallowness. Over time, you'll acquire the skills you need.

Kitti

procrastinatrix
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katotis.com
Worldbuilding is, IMO, vastly overrated. Only build what you need as the story develops. A tiny fraction of the readership, at best, will notice the shallowness. Over time, you'll acquire the skills you need.

But you only get a readership if you get published first and agents/editors notice things like world-building. Not saying every story needs to have a fully developed world, but the necessary degree of world-building depends on the kind of story you want to tell.

Back to the original question... what is the main conflict of your story? How will that be affected by putting your characters in a modern/urban situation as opposed to a secondary world (rural or urban)? Which version excites you more?

Forestqueen808

Registered
Reaction score
I just figured something out. It HAS to be urban fantasy. It absolutly has to, I'll just have to fix some things and explain why they won't use guns and where the creatures had been hiding for all those years and blah blah blah. thanks for the advice though guys!

Stormhawk

Angry Bunny Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.requirecookie.com
For UF, it really depends on the size of the battle that you're talking about, and the willingness of the participants to keep it a secret - like, no matter how much they want to fight each other, they know making it overly public won't do anyone any favours.

Like, in my 'verse, you've got the...basically the equivalent of the MiB that does a lot of ass-covering for stuff like this. Fine, they may be involved in a lot of it, but they always have a cover story involved, and several decent PR departments working on a variety of explanation scenarios at all times, so that it doesn't always come down to "gas leak" or "military training accident".

They even basically have an OSHI- backup plan when they know a few press releases/talking to the right reporters won't work, and that's a TV show called "Surprise Fiction" which is basically a reality show/candid-camera hybrid, portraying really weird/random things (which people may perceive to be fantastical events), then explaining the mechanics behind them (sort-of Mythbusters style). They do a big, like 2-hour special when something goes really, really wrong, but do enough regular episodes (generally stuff they've just made up themselves) so that it doesn't feel like a cover-up mechanic.

This all works because all parties involved - the Agency themselves, the Faerie courts and assorted smaller factions, despite their allegiances or general opinion about each other, know that getting this stuff out there, and into the public eye would do no good for anyone, and only make all of their lives harder.

So, basically, if you can get the people involved in your battle to acknowledge this - and have it so no-one is stupid enough to live-stream the carnage to the internet, call the press, or throw a goblin (or whatever you're dealing with) corpses into the town square, there would be ways that you could get around needing to make it full fantasy.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
I assume that you want the best story possible.

In the best stories, a character is inseparable from its setting. Hobbits work because they live in Middle Earth. Conan works because he lives in Hyperboria. Dracula works because he stalks around Victorian Europe. Marlowe works because he lives in 1930s L.A. Freddy Krueger works because he torments late 20th century teens.

You can transplant any of these characters into 21st century urban life, but it changes their impacts, requires new conflicts and new lines of dialogue which in turn require new values and attitudes. This often dilutes them and can even make them cheesy.

So, my suggestion: the setting and the characters must fit like a jigsaw. Only write urban fantasy if your main characters are naturally urban in their concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.