US Park Rangers

debirlfan

Registered
Reaction score
Would it be within the realm of reality for a Park Ranger to show up at an isolated mountain home/cabin and warn the residents of an approaching forest fire? In this case, the house abuts a wilderness area. Thanks!

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
From what I've learned about Park Rangers--if the wilderness area were a Park, quite possible. Not outside the realm of possibility if it were not a Park.

debirlfan

Registered
Reaction score
From what I've learned about Park Rangers--if the wilderness area were a Park, quite possible. Not outside the realm of possibility if it were not a Park.

Thanks for the quick answer - I just need it to be something believable, doesn't need to be totally accurate. (In this case, the "ranger" is actually a perp who has killed the real ranger and taken his uniform - trying to lure the good guys into the open.)

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
My wife used to be a park ranger technically employed by the Army Corps of Engineers, and it wouldn't seem unusual for them to do spot checks on properties abutting the park to make sure they weren't logging. Warning them of a fire seems perfectly believable. Only certain rangers were allowed to carry firearms but that may have been a park by park thing.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I used to work for the Park Service and that's totally within the scope of the Park Ranger's duties (if said cabin were on park property). :)
And GeorgeK is 100% correct; we had the typical "historian" park rangers (no LE duties) and the natural resourses/law enforcement division (they did carry weapons and had to qualify, etc. etc.)

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I used to work for the Park Service and that's totally within the scope of the Park Ranger's duties (if said cabin were on park property). :)
And GeorgeK is 100% correct; we had the typical "historian" park rangers (no LE duties) and the natural resourses/law enforcement division (they did carry weapons and had to qualify, etc. etc.)

Forest Service here. This is all true.

debirlfan

Registered
Reaction score
A follow-up question, if I might? I'm looking for a type/model of handgun that a *real* forest ranger definitely wouldn't be carrying. I'm thinking perhaps a Glock? This is set circa 1995, if that matters. Thanks! (My hero is going to realize that this "ranger" is an impostor based partly on his stolen uniform not fitting correctly, and partly on the fact the "ranger" is carrying the wrong weapon.)