The proper way to write time?

stargurl128

Stargirl128
Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick question I'm a little confused as to when to use the perioeds and dashes when it comes to time. For example;
It read; one o'clock p.m., Sunday.

Brukaviador

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I write it the way I would say it out loud. I would drop the "o'clock" entirely and just write "one pm" or "one in the afternoon". I don't know if that's grammatically correct but I think it makes for an easier read.

Lance_in_Shanghai

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Victor Twilight. To me, the o'clock reference is just to confirm to someone the general time for a meeting or other affair (I wish) that usually doesn't warrant the a.m. or p.m. reference. "Meet me at 7 o'clock for dinner." My students who aren't accustomed to the a.m / p.m. stuff get confused and say "20 o'clock" for 8 p.m. When I tell them there's no 20 on a typical analog clock, they wax pensive...

commasplicer

Banned
Reaction score
I read in the Chicago Manual of Style that the preferred method is to write it out, eliminating any periods to separate the am/pm--am or pm in small caps. I may be wrong, though.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
The AP Stylebook uses lower case and periods. 10:30 a.m.

I've always used this format in US government correspondence and reports.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
This is a style issue that depends on a variety of factors, including region. These is no one right answer. As long as you're clear, if you sell the work, the publisher will change it to their preferred style if they want to.

Lance_in_Shanghai

Registered
Reaction score
I read in the Chicago Manual of Style that the preferred method is to write it out, eliminating any periods to separate the am/pm--am or pm in small caps. I may be wrong, though.

You may be right and the CMofS may be wrong. I will allow the CMofS to be wrong. The biggest and most costly reference isn't necessarily the best. Newspaper folks prefer brevity, so toss the dots in your news story.

LynnKHollander

This space intentionally left blank
Registered
Reaction score
I gave up on colons and o'clocks. I now use 24 hour time, from 0000 to 2359. I haven't heard a reader complain or suggest she was couldn't follow the usage.