• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Lightyear or light-year?

Thomas_Anderson

Registered
Reaction score
My spellchecker keeps telling me it's light-year, but that just looks strange to me. I've always thought it was lightyear. So, I came here to ask for a second opinion for you knwoledgeable folks. How do you usually spell it?

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Webster's shows either "light-year" or "light year" is acceptable. I've always seen it as "light year", never "lightyear".

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen it in all three ways. Usually softer scifi has 'lightyear'. Star Wars expanded universe novels spring immediately to mind.

Use whatever you prefer, as the publisher will correct it to the house style regardless. Myself, I use 'light-year' typically.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I've always typed "light years"

-Derek

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Science has always used the open spelling ('light year'), and more recently MAY accept the hyphenate (but I have not personally seen this form in any journal articles), but NEVER the closed spelling (yet--give Google enough time...).

The open spelling is more true to how the concept is rendered by physicists and astronomers.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Light years have fewer calories, right?

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
And as a reminder of what a distance a light year is, the Voyager 1 probe, more than three decades after launch and moving ten miles a second, is about 15 light hours away. (And still functioning; terrific machine.)