proposing a series

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
How presumptuous is it to assume that once you have had an article accepted, your editor may be open to the idea of a short series of books?

Once an editor has literally told you "We love it!", about an article, is it too naive to think you have at least a toe in the door for future projects? Of course I believe my idea is completely unique, and fun to boot, but I imagine that is how a writer generally feels about their work anyway.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Carole said:
How presumptuous is it to assume that once you have had an article accepted, your editor may be open to the idea of a short series of books?

Once an editor has literally told you "We love it!", about an article, is it too naive to think you have at least a toe in the door for future projects? Of course I believe my idea is completely unique, and fun to boot, but I imagine that is how a writer generally feels about their work anyway.

Well, having an article accepted implies you're writing for a magazine or newspaper, so unless they have a book publishing arm that has editorial staff doing both papers and books, it means nothing. On the other hand, if you have a great idea and someone in the organization knows and loves your writing, you can always use that person as a reference. Regardless, it's a big, big step from one article to a book series.
Good luck!

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Nomad said:
Well, having an article accepted implies you're writing for a magazine or newspaper, so unless they have a book publishing arm that has editorial staff doing both papers and books, it means nothing. On the other hand, if you have a great idea and someone in the organization knows and loves your writing, you can always use that person as a reference. Regardless, it's a big, big step from one article to a book series.
Good luck!

Actually it implied that my article is going to be in an almanac. They publish several annuals under their name. Nebbe-mind. I'll figure it out.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Carole said:
Actually it implied that my article is going to be in an almanac. They publish several annuals under their name. Nebbe-mind. I'll figure it out.

Well, if they publish lots of other stuff and your idea would fit in well, then why not pitch it and see what happens? The worse they'll say is no, and then you'll know right away. What might happen, though, is that they'll think you have a terrific idea and ask you to contribute. You certainly don't have anything to lose, so go for it!

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I did just that today! WOW what a response. I'm definitely not counting my chickens before they are hatched, so let's just say that the idea was very well received.