I just thought up the best story idea I've ever had.

alaskamatt17

Registered
Reaction score
I realize coming up with an idea isn't that much of an accomplishment in itself, but I just came up with the best story idea I've had in my life! I'm scared of myself, it's like a thought bubbled into my mind from the outside, and it's so good that I'm not worthy to write the story. It's going to take months of research, probably two dozen rewrites, but ... it'll be worth it. I'm actually feeling tingly all over.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I hate it when that happens--but only when I'm deep smack in the middle of a huge sci-fi epic. I had such a vivid dream about a children's fantasy story along the lines of James and the Giant Peach, or Wonka. And I swear it is so astoundingly original it's messing my mind up on my current work. A kid's fantasy, for god's sakes! The whole thing is written in my head and trying to burst out.

Now that's a first for me since I KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about this genre, let alone knowing how to write down to an audience.

Congrats, Matt, I think you might be on the dino gig again. I sure miss my ice age animals.

Tri

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
Hey, I LOVE it when that happens! It's like the story almost writes itself without any effort whatsoever from my part. And great ideas are so hard to come by that when I actually hit upon something unique, I jump up and down with joy! (Can you tell I just found a fantastic idea, too?) :Jump::Jump::Jump:

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Something. Is. Happening. We all must have the Klingon mind-meld thing goin' on, or some such. Rowling better watch out, cause' our fantasy factories are steaming and puffin' smoke to beat the band. I better talk to some childrens book authors to at least verify that I'm not going batty. Either that, or it must have been that Jane Yolen thread that started something.

Tri

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
alaskamatt17 said:
I realize coming up with an idea isn't that much of an accomplishment in itself, but I just came up with the best story idea I've had in my life! I'm scared of myself, it's like a thought bubbled into my mind from the outside, and it's so good that I'm not worthy to write the story. It's going to take months of research, probably two dozen rewrites, but ... it'll be worth it. I'm actually feeling tingly all over.

That's the best post I've seen in a while. I'll have whatever he's having.

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
I have the same problem. My current WIP is a horror, and I am devoting a great deal of time to it (revision, revision, revision), but there are two more books to go before it is finished. The thing is, in addition to this horror story (BTW, I don't agree with the tag, but since it's about vampires it's automatically lumped into horror, apparently), I have another story percolating inside the empty coffe pot that is my mind. The grounds for this second story, which I suppose falls into the "sci-fi/fantasy" genre, are set. The filter is in place, the pot is where it needs to be, I just have to pour the water and turn the pot on.

I have actually written the entire prologue in my head. It's killing me to wait to begin it, but I want to finish this first story before I start on something that is going to be altogether different.

Last edited:

alaskamatt17

Registered
Reaction score
triceretops said:
Congrats, Matt, I think you might be on the dino gig again. I sure miss my ice age animals.

Tri

You're right. I can't divulge too much, but it involves the Alaskan North Slope in the late Maastrichtian. And it's going to be killer.

But I am currently nearing the end of the second book in my own SF epic (174,000 words already, how much longer can it get?), so I have to focus on that. It'll take enough research to do this other story that I won't be able to get to it for another month anyway.