Not open for further replies.

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
Here's a simple one:

Is the phrase "I believe in [insert noun]" always to be seen as religious devotion to [insert noun]. As opposed to saying "I have belief that [insert noun] is true".

I'm having a disagreement. I'm dead certain that belief in [insert noun] only has to do with ones conviction about the truth value of [insert noun], and any possible religious beliefs has to do with the context and can't be automatically assumed.

Am I correct?

Last edited:

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a simple one:

Is the phrase "I believe in [insert noun]" always to be seen as religious devotion to [insert noun]. As opposed to saying "I have belief that [insert noun] is true".

I'm having a disagreement. I'm dead certain that belief in [insert noun] only has to do with ones conviction about the truth value of [insert noun], and any possible religious beliefs has to do with the context and can't be automatically assumed.

Am I correct?

I'm joining you at the Church of Dead Certainty.

Ephrem Rodriguez

Registered
Reaction score
Here's a simple one:

Am I correct?

I believe in chewing your food before swallowing.

I have belief that the rumor is true.

I believe you have to define the word, "religious".

If it's something you have to continue to "do" then, even if it's not religious in the religiony sense, belief and believing could be said to have religious consequences.

I believe you are right. I will maintain with certainty that you are right.

Yeah. Could be that both you and the person you are having the debate with are right on different points.

insert shrug

What happens if you are wrong? Do you have to do his laundry?

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
What happens if you are wrong? Do you have to do his laundry?

I will reign victorious on the Internet!

someone_is_wrong_on_the_internet1.jpg

It's actually for my own sake. So far it's 12-1. I'm the only person who holds this position. I can get a bit insecure with odds like that. But then again, that one isn't a forum for writers :)

zornhau

Swordsman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
This is one of the sources of endless argument. There seem to be two kinds of "belief" knocking around, one passive, based on experience and reasonable expectation, the other - from an atheist POV - a form of active wishful thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.