Could use a little help here...

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I figured you agent-savy and published-savy people could help me.

I've been feeling quite down about my current manuscript. I'm working really hard on polishing it and have been for a while, and my betas are pointing out all my little errors (I wouldn't know where I would be without them) Now, my question is, what happens after I catch an agent?

If I get an agent with this book, I'm worried that when I write another book, it'll be terrible in comparison because it hasn't gone through the cycle of betas. Should I be giving my book to betas despite the fact that it'll go to my agent afterwards? Should I not worry so much? Do agents expect the second book handed to them to be not as polished? Am I going to get my butt booted out the agency's door for not seeing the continuity errors my betas have no problem pointing out?

I know eventually it'll be my writing that gets me an agent. Betas are only pointing out little flaws, yada, yada. Maybe I'm overreacting. But any help to calm my nerves would be very appreiciated. Thanks so much!

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
If it helps, my second book still went through my betas before my agent saw it.

You always want to turn in your very best, polished work, no matter if it's your second, third or eighteenth book. You may not always need your betas in the future, but if you still need them now, use them.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I figured you agent-savy and published-savy people could help me.

I've been feeling quite down about my current manuscript. I'm working really hard on polishing it and have been for a while, and my betas are pointing out all my little errors (I wouldn't know where I would be without them) Now, my question is, what happens after I catch an agent?

If I get an agent with this book, I'm worried that when I write another book, it'll be terrible in comparison because it hasn't gone through the cycle of betas. Should I be giving my book to betas despite the fact that it'll go to my agent afterwards? Should I not worry so much? Do agents expect the second book handed to them to be not as polished? Am I going to get my butt booted out the agency's door for not seeing the continuity errors my betas have no problem pointing out?

I know eventually it'll be my writing that gets me an agent. Betas are only pointing out little flaws, yada, yada. Maybe I'm overreacting. But any help to calm my nerves would be very appreiciated. Thanks so much!

These are concerns you can talk about with your eventual agent, and get his or her preferences and tolerances (some agents want it raw and some will say they don't want to see drafts, meaning it should be polished up first).

But, from my personal experiences, many authors continue to use critique partners and writing groups to work on their writing, even after they sign with agents, because they don't want to send rough first drafts to their agents.

So, you'll talk about it with your agent when the time comes, but it's logical that since you've polished this first book to land an agent, future books might be rougher when they are given to the agent. the question you will need to hash out with the agent will be how rough - ie, does the agent want to see really rough first drafts, or does the agent want to see the first good draft (post your crit group/crit partners) etc.

But these aren't things to worry about now. Get an agent and then discuss future work.

~suki

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First, stay in your day. Don't worry about the next book until it's time to worry about the next book. And as ChaosTitan said, the next book will go through the same cycle of revisions, betas, etc. I'm not sure how common it is for, once selling the first novel, the agent says "now I need a second one in six weeks or you're in a stew of trouble!" (maybe if you get a multi-book deal).

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
There's usually no way of telling whether beta readers help or hurt. I've found they mostly hurt.

But you only need one or two, and if you want time for those one or two to read your next book, write fast enough to beat the deadline.

Or learn to write all on your own.

Danthia

Betas read all my stuff before it goes to my agent or editor. If you feel they're helping your work, keep using them after you publish. No need to change something that works.

And for what it's worth it's not uncommon to fall on your face for your second book (especially if it's in a series), because there's a lot of pressure and you usually do have a deadline looming. Agents and editors know this and will be very encouraging (they were to me) and help you through it. So no need to stress. Just keep doing what ever helps you write the best book you can.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's usually no way of telling whether beta readers help or hurt. I've found they mostly hurt.

But you only need one or two, and if you want time for those one or two to read your next book, write fast enough to beat the deadline.

Or learn to write all on your own.

I was actually in partial agreement until that last line....<sigh> ... So, I'll ignore the last line, BUT:

I will agree that you need to decide if crit partners/beta readers are a help to you. Only you can make that decision. I find they are. But that is my experience.

And if they are, you need to agree to deadlines that realistically allow you to use them.

ETA: And Danthia gives good advice from a place of experience. :)

~suki

Last edited:

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much you guys. :) I know I shouldn't be worrying about it until after I get an agent, but it's been bothering me for a few weeks. I needed to get it off my mind. You guys are so wonderful. :) :)