PDA

View Full Version : Perks steps in it again.

Perks
03-16-2010, 11:57 PM
Well, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. My daughter's teacher had sent a note asking if I would send in some pictures of this past summer's trip to Ireland. She asked especially for photos that showed my daughter, so she could tell the class about the trip.

So I did.

I put together a nice little album from that part of the vacation, complete with maps, captions and little bits of historical information.

I got a phone call before the kids came home, explaining why my album had been dismantled (no harm done to the pictures.) I was scolded for having included photos of a completely family-friendly Guinness brewery tour. No one is drinking in any of the photos, but there were some great shots of the kids reclining in the barley and learning about how Guinness was made.

She is very much hoping that she doesn't receive complaints from parents who hear from their children that they saw pictures of the Guinness brewery in Dublin in class.

I stammered an apology, but far more than sorry, I'm really annoyed.

quickWit
03-17-2010, 12:00 AM
That's a fine piece of parenting, you lush, you.

Jersey Chick
03-17-2010, 12:02 AM
I'd call and complain that there weren't enough Guinness pictures. :D

If that's a parent's biggest concern - that their kid saw a picture of a brewery 6,000 miles away - they should consider themselves lucky...

Medievalist
03-17-2010, 12:04 AM
Geeze. That's lame. I'm sorry Perks.

You should tell her Patrick was a Welshman!

Hey, I can send you a story about the real Irish leprechauns, too (they're known for their sexual prowess, not rainbows and pots of gold).

Perks
03-17-2010, 12:08 AM
Sex with leprechauns? You're gross.

Mr Flibble
03-17-2010, 12:08 AM
That's um odd?

When we came to the states we had to bring the school mascot and take photos of him everywhere for 'his' photo album. I've got a photo somewhere of Lenny the Dragon on top of my head next to Saturn er something or other.

And the teacher thought the picture of Lenny with his nose in a beer was highly amusing.

Chris P
03-17-2010, 12:09 AM
Good grief. Should we not take pictures of our kids with cars in them because they're too young to drive?

BenPanced
03-17-2010, 12:17 AM
I'm complaining that I wasn't invited to go on the tour with you!

Perks
03-17-2010, 12:18 AM
Part of my problem right now is that I'd really like to know if anyone actually has a problem with these photos (or at least showing them in public) or do they think they should say they have a problem with it.

alleycat
03-17-2010, 12:20 AM
When I live, even Baptists take the tour of the Jack Daniel distillery with their children.

lucidzfl
03-17-2010, 12:20 AM
http://tnh1.businessnetonline.com/pics/77211.jpg

Thanks perks. This is what my kids did when they saw your little "album".

Perks
03-17-2010, 12:24 AM
Lol! You win, luc, now I'm in a good mood again.

lucidzfl
03-17-2010, 12:26 AM
http://jgogek.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/little-kid-smoking-cigarette-copy21.jpg

What.
Have.
You.
Done.

Jersey Chick
03-17-2010, 12:27 AM
So glad I'm beverage-free at the moment.

:ROFL:

Julie Worth
03-17-2010, 12:28 AM
She is very much hoping that she doesn't receive complaints from parents who hear from their children that they saw pictures of the Guinness brewery in Dublin in class.

You really ought to get some of the other parents to email her with unrestrained indignation--The nerve, showing pictures of liquor production to children! It occurred to me to call my lawyer, but my husband said we should at least give you the opportunity to resign.

tjwriter
03-17-2010, 12:28 AM
File this under things that irritate me. Also I can't spell or type today.

Anywho. I wouldn't be offended as a parent and I think this total overreaction syndrome this country suffers from is from a lack of parents that, well, parent.

We can't show them that! They might go do X, which is Bad! Nevermind that something like that might open the door to important parent/child discussions and pave the way for a great relationship when the kids get bigger and those relationships really matter.

But I'll step off my soapbox now. Yes, I think all those grownups overreacted. There's some adage out there that the bigger the grownups reaction, the more enticing it is for the child.

Jersey Chick
03-17-2010, 12:33 AM
It wouldn't bother me, either. Over the weekend, I asked my 9 year old if she wanted a glass of wine (small glass, mind you) with dinner, since we were celebrating her dad's birthday.

I come from a line of degenerates, though. My mom supplied all the alkeehol at my hs graduation party. :D

Perks
03-17-2010, 12:33 AM
Thank god she didn't ask for pictures from Scotland. They would have seen that I let my children hang out (in a pub, no less) with - dun, dun, dunhhhhhhh - ScarletPeaches.

(But I purified them later with a visit to Aruna.)

Sweetleaf
03-17-2010, 12:34 AM
Don't worry, Perks.

I'm waiting for my son to explain to the kids at kindergarten how mummy and daddy make alcohol at home. :)

backslashbaby
I saw a news story about a teacher who was told to resign for having a picture of herself with a Guinness on her Facebook page. It was a trip to Ireland, so it was the requisite pint o' Guinness pic, nothing untoward.

I don't even think she had any students as FB friends.

Perks
When my girls get hiccups that won't subside (my eldest has always been prone to this) I'll give them one gulp of port to try to stop it.

Lol! God, how they hate it.

brokenfingers
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, PERKS!

scarletpeaches
03-17-2010, 12:35 AM
Thank god she didn't ask for pictures from Scotland. They would have seen that I let my children hang out (in a pub, no less) with - dun, dun, dunhhhhhhh - ScarletPeaches.

(But I purified them later with a visit to Aruna.)HEY I SAW THAT!

Also, Leo is feckin' pissed off with this thread.

/shameless promotion of forthcoming novel off.

I'm gonna fly over there and bitchslap that useless, piece of shit teacher and cram a pint of Guinness up her temperance movement hole.

tjwriter
03-17-2010, 12:36 AM
I really wish America would get the stick out of its ass.

Jersey Chick
03-17-2010, 12:37 AM
SP, Let me know when this goes down - I sooooo want to be there. :popcorn:

Sweetleaf
03-17-2010, 12:37 AM
Agreed, tjwriter.

scarletpeaches
03-17-2010, 12:38 AM
SP, Let me know when this goes down - I sooooo want to be there. :popcorn:Around about ten minutes before I get arrested for being drunk in charge of a pint of Guinness, I reckon.

Perks will probably get photos.

Williebee
03-17-2010, 12:39 AM
That's just silly.

Next the teacher will be trying to convince kids that alcohol is some magic thing, that grows from nothing, and so they should avoid it.

Or at least deliver it to the teacher for "safekeeping".

tjwriter
03-17-2010, 12:40 AM
And we need to put the common back in common sense.

Lord, I am ranty today. Must listen to meditation music soon.

quickWit
03-17-2010, 12:41 AM
Next the teacher will be trying to convince kids that alcohol is some magic thing...

Oh, but it is! A wonderfully magic thing that makes everything more magically magical.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, magic alcohol...

scarletpeaches
03-17-2010, 12:41 AM
Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol.

Snowstorm
03-17-2010, 12:50 AM
Jeez, you'd think you had showed photos of your family trip to Amsterdam ... and your tour to the Red Light District.

She over-reacted.

Perks
03-17-2010, 12:50 AM
These are the offending photos, along with the tour brochure.
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s40/Perks_album/Vacation09172.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s40/Perks_album/Vacation09164.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s40/Perks_album/Vacation09163.jpg

scarletpeaches
03-17-2010, 12:51 AM
Everything about this thread confirms my theory that Americans are fruit loops.

Medievalist
03-17-2010, 12:52 AM
Perks, I'm not sure how to say this--

Your child is being educated by a half-wit.

Here's some great compensatory cooking with Guinness recipes:

http://www.chow.com/stories/10971

Jersey Chick
03-17-2010, 12:52 AM
SHOCKING!!! **hides eyes**

ETA: this is in response to Perks pix. I'm effing slow as anything today...

PPS - we aren't ALL fruit loops. Only some of us - they make the news, unfortunately...

Perks
03-17-2010, 12:53 AM
Some people are offended that we went to Riverdance in Dublin. But I frickin' love it and I'll fly that banner proud. (Don't mind me, I had been rained on fourteen times that day. Also, we were traveling with our good friends, so we were a pack of eight.)

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s40/Perks_album/CIMG9137-1.jpg

Chris P

Be nice or we'll invade.

alleycat
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s40/Perks_album/Vacation09164.jpg
This is like a scene from Soylent Green. "It's people! Guinness is made from people!"

;-)

brokenfingers
03-17-2010, 12:59 AM
Perks, could you change your user title to: Corrupter of Children and Social Degenerate.

Thank you.

Perks
03-17-2010, 01:01 AM
This is like a scene from Soylent Green. "It's people! Guinness is made from people!"

Maybe that's why it tastes of bile, sweat, and shampoo.

(Actually, straight from the vat at the brewery, it's pretty tasty. I've never liked it anywhere else.)

aadams73
03-17-2010, 02:05 AM
What kind of parent would allow their child near Guinness? Ewww. :D

ajkjd01
03-17-2010, 02:19 AM
Seriously, Perks, I'm in shock.

I like the idea of taking the teacher aside and explaining to her that you are exposing your children to culture, and that culture takes on all forms, including libation. You're also exposing them to the idea of business, which takes place on a global stage. You're introducing them to chemistry, by talking about how things are made. It's also a demonstration on cooking, as beer is not only a beverage, but used in food items.

Would she complain if you showed pictures of your kids at a historical battlefield because you're teaching glorified violence? Would she complain if you showed pictures of your kids at a homeless shelter because you're glorifying homelessness? Does she seriously think that an afternoon of "we make beer" will make them swim the Atlantic, break into the Guinness factory, and chug themselves silly?

EFCollins
03-17-2010, 02:25 AM
You know, that comment from a teacher has to be about the stupidest thing I've ever heard... and from a chick living in West Virginia where stupidity is about as common as water and coal... well, that's saying something. Brewing is respectable and damn complicated. Your photos may inspire some young American kid to open a brewery or at least be interested in the farming aspect or something. I mean, come the flap on! They show television shows on network TV that feature wine breweries in Napa Valley and etc. Sorry, but I cry bullshit.

You'd think she'd have been delighted. How many American kids are exposed to other cultures like that? Hell, most American kids can't even get their parents to look at them, much less take them to Ireland. Don't worry about it, Perks. If anyone makes a fuss over it, they're just as ignorant as the teacher.

ETA: And I doubt anyone with half a brain would complain because their kid saw the word "Guinness". Unless their child has been blinded and kept under lock and key since birth, I bet they know what Guinness is.

Alan Yee
03-17-2010, 02:37 AM
Perks, those pictures are so scandalous! Scandalous, I tell you! How dare you corrupt the innocent angel children of America?

Le sigh. Only in America.

Medievalist
03-17-2010, 02:39 AM
Historically, beer was a staple of Irish diet, along with the rest of Western Europe.

During the famine, beer helped keep people alive and free of rickets.

Cella
03-17-2010, 02:48 AM
She should have been more specific, like asking for pics of you guys rolling down a moss-covered hill, or something.

It sounds like she's teaching the kids to overreact.

*drinks Guinness coffee*

Wicked
03-17-2010, 02:54 AM
Good grief. Zero tolerance strikes again.

The way the teacher made it sound, I was half expecting to see a pic of your kids tipsy, clinking glasses together, with foam on their lips, and head to toe in Guinness advertising clothing.
There is nothing objectionable in those pictures.

When we were in Germany the first time we took our kids on a wine tour. It's a huge part of the culture. No one at their school would even think twice about pictures of them in front of huge wine barrels.

Ken
03-17-2010, 03:04 AM
... just read the first paragraph of your OP, Perks. Figured the remainder would contain some sad stuff. Having skipped it, I can focus on the good part. Trip to Ireland. Very nice vacation. Must have been fun :-)

Perks
03-17-2010, 03:09 AM
I'm thinking the teacher may have been burned by something stupid in the past. She's really been a doll and this year has been great otherwise. I dunno.

Susie
03-17-2010, 03:23 AM
Don't worry, Perks, Jamie, she's jelus, one she didn't get to go to Ireland, doesn't have fun w. her kids, if she has any and doesn't know how to put great photo albums together and prolly only drinks non-carbonated boring stuff. :) :Hug2:s Give her h*ll. :D

Jenifer
03-17-2010, 03:23 AM
I'm thinking the teacher may have been burned by something stupid in the past. She's really been a doll and this year has been great otherwise. I dunno.

This is what I was thinking. Dealing with neurotic parents (especially the ones who would HAVE YER JOB!!!11!1 over something like this) can make teachers incredibly gun-shy. It's a damn shame, and ideally teachers would give 'em the old, "Well, bless your little HEART!" and forge on, but... a person's got to have a job, too.

aadams73
03-17-2010, 03:27 AM

Perhaps she just knows that some of the other parents are drama queens who throw their arms up in the air over the tiniest things so they can feel important and gain attention. So she was nipping a potential problem in the bud.

brokenfingers
03-17-2010, 03:28 AM
Or maybe she just, you know, prefers Miller Lite.

scarletpeaches
03-17-2010, 03:31 AM
Historically, beer was a staple of Irish diet, along with the rest of Western Europe.

During the famine, beer helped keep people alive and free of rickets.Scots work really hard at eradicating rickets.

aadams73
03-17-2010, 03:39 AM
Scots work really hard at eradicating rickets.

So do Aussies. Which is really weird because we spend so much time on all fours crawling around looking for our car keys.

Rowan
03-17-2010, 03:43 AM
I was expecting this thread to be about dog poop! ;)
Seriously, don't worry about it, Perks. Those people are out of their minds! :)

poetinahat
03-17-2010, 03:50 AM
Good thing you didn't include the photos from the crack lab and the Nike factory.

kayleamay
03-17-2010, 03:55 AM
My eyes! My eyes! They're burning!

Ummm, that teacher is either completely nutters or is being controlled by an administration that is completely nutters. Is this school private or pub-lick?

sheadakota
03-17-2010, 03:58 AM
so let me get this straight- we can teach our children about the dangers of drug and alchohol abuse, we even have programs to do this- We can teach them about strangers that do terrible things to them, we teach them to be aware in a world we teach them they should be cautious of-

We have teachers fired for being drunk in class (in my child's school), teachers that have affairs with their students, we even have an entire school of teachers fired for not teaching their students well enough to meet national standards.

There are metal detectors in schools and armed security guards to keep our children 'safe' from each other- teachers send six-year-old cub scouts home with the threat of expeltion for bringing a boyscout camping tool to eat with in class-

But showing a classful of young impressionable minds pictures of children laying in a vat of barley might be fodder for complaint? or worse a lawsuit!

Someone explain this to me, because I am either freaking clueless or someone sent me to the twilght zone-

They are all freaking insane!

Perks
03-17-2010, 04:15 AM
But showing a classful of young impressionable minds pictures of children laying in a vat of barley might be fodder for complaint? or worse a lawsuit!

Someone explain this to me, because I am either freaking clueless or someone sent me to the twilght zone-

I think that even the contemplation of alcohol, or not viewing alcohol as something that should ever be represented or spoken of in a positive way is considered a contributory factor in a all those other problems you listed.

It's a public school, but the more I think about it, I really think this is a case of hyper-vigilance and some odd border of zero tolerance.

sheadakota
03-17-2010, 04:23 AM
Right - so we just pretend we don't see the 800 pound gorilla- geesh-

Perks
03-17-2010, 04:26 AM
I know. It's incredibly stupid. I actually feel bad for this teacher, because she's a great girl, but she's gone all slobbery Pavlov's dog after being conditioned to high alert for absolutely anything that anyone could possibly ever find objectionable. I wonder (and hope) if she's ever able to relax once she leaves the campus.

Devil Ledbetter
03-17-2010, 04:54 AM
Beer? Beer? Beer!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3011/2640789668_48a2a84ddf.jpg

bettielee
03-17-2010, 05:28 AM
This is what's wrong with America.

We don't have enough real problems to get all in a huff about.

benbradley
03-17-2010, 05:29 AM
Perhaps she just knows that some of the other parents are drama queens who throw their arms up in the air over the tiniest things and sometimes hire attorneys and sue school systems so they can feel important and gain attention. So she was nipping a potential problem in the bud.
Yeah, what you said. :)

Would she be different from any other teacher? Even hearing of other teachers "being burned" over different things likely makes teachers overreactive. They read the news like all the rest of us and are surely aware of the "zero tolerance" policies- with the logic (sic) and reasoning (sic) school administrators use, pics of how an alcoholic beverage is made could be interpreted as going against the no-alcohol-in-school policy. Here's the latest bizarre-school-reaction-hits-the-news story - the headline tells you all you need to know:

Ionia kindergartner suspended for making gun with hand
http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/03/ionia_kindergartener_suspended.html

I know. It's incredibly stupid. I actually feel bad for this teacher, because she's a great girl, but she's gone all slobbery Pavlov's dog after being conditioned to high alert for absolutely anything that anyone could possibly ever find objectionable. I wonder (and hope) if she's ever able to relax once she leaves the campus.
Again, is there any reason to believe any other public school teachers feel differently? Looks to me like they spend their whole careers walking on eggshells.

Silver King
03-17-2010, 06:11 AM
I'm wondering if the teacher's dismay, however ill conceived, might spill over to put a strain on her otherwise good relationship with Perks, and by extension, Perks' daughter.

writerterri
03-17-2010, 06:23 AM
Don't worry, Darlin'. The Mayor of Las Vegas went to a school to visit with the kids there and during one of the assembles a child asked him if he was going to an island by himself what would he take.

He told an auditorium full of children, "A book and a bottle of his favorite rum."

I didn't quote it exactly but you get the gist.

Perks
03-17-2010, 06:27 AM
I'm wondering if the teacher's dismay, however ill conceived, might spill over to put a strain on her otherwise good relationship with Perks, and by extension, Perks' daughter.Look at you, all sunshine and light.

God I hope not! She loves my daughter. (And as far as I know, she thinks I'm alright.)

Silver King
03-17-2010, 06:43 AM
I was thinking along those lines because, well, she took the time to call you to express her displeasure with the album's contents. In some way, however subtle or obvious, her feelings for you and your daughter may have changed by now.

Perks
03-17-2010, 06:47 AM
Eh well. What're you going to do? Can't undo it now.

Medievalist
03-17-2010, 08:39 AM
There's an award-winning picture book version of Little Red Riding Hood by Trina Schart Hyman from the late 1980s.

It's lovely detailed art (http://www.carlemuseum.or).

The artist/author got hate mail because in on small detail of a larger image you can see that in the basket that little Red Riding Hood backs for her grandmother, she includes a bottle of wine.

BenPanced
03-17-2010, 09:33 AM
That's just silly.

Next the teacher will be trying to convince kids that alcohol is some magic thing, that grows from nothing, and so they should avoid it.

Or at least deliver it to the teacher for "safekeeping".
I've heard that under the right conditions, alcohol turns into children.

BenPanced
03-17-2010, 09:34 AM
I prefer Rice Krispies or Chocoloate-Frosted Sugar Bombs, m'self.

BenPanced
03-17-2010, 09:34 AM
Don't mind me. I'm on a roll.

Whole wheat, if you must know.

BenPanced
03-17-2010, 09:37 AM
And educating crickets.

CAN YOU TELL I'M #$%^ING BORED AND I DON'T WANT TO GO TO BED?!

NeuroFizz
03-17-2010, 09:46 AM
Go to bed, Ben. The crickets will appreciate it.

NeuroFizz
03-17-2010, 10:01 AM
Jamie, take your next trip to Florence and get a photo of the kids standing next to Michelangelo's David. I'm sure the porn police will be called. In the US, the museum would likely be required to put boxers on the sculpture because, you know, girls might be aroused into pregnancy.

Medievalist
03-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Jamie, take your next trip to Florence and get a photo of the kids standing next to Michelangelo's David. I'm sure the porn police will be called. In the US, the museum would likely be required to put boxers on the sculpture because, you know, girls might be aroused into pregnancy.

Oh, please, it's not like we spent $8,000.00 dollars on velvet drapes to cover the statue of Justice because she had an exposed breast (http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/a/ashcroft-breast.htm).

Wait a minute . . .

Medievalist
03-17-2010, 10:09 AM

Right, then. I'm for Scotland!

BenPanced
03-17-2010, 10:24 AM
Have the kids pointing and laughing at his hoo-hoo-dilly.

Okay, okay, I'm goin', I'm goin'...

backslashbaby
03-17-2010, 11:23 AM
If it helps anything, my old high school has life-sized sculptures of nude men wrestling, and I won a science fair with my project on wine making, complete with bottles of said homebrew.

I'd better stop by and make sure the nude dudes are still there...

sheadakota
03-17-2010, 02:18 PM
Ben said Hoo Hoo Dilly *snicker*

NeuroFizz
03-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Ben said Hoo Hoo Dilly *snicker*
Careful saying that...you may be aroused into pregnancy.

poetinahat
03-17-2010, 04:24 PM
I was thinking along those lines because, well, she took the time to call you to express her displeasure with the album's contents. In some way, however subtle or obvious, her feelings for you and your daughter may have changed by now.
Nothing a few cocktails won't correct.

Susie
03-18-2010, 03:25 AM
Choco cocktails, right poet? :D

benbradley
03-18-2010, 05:15 AM
Nothing a few cocktails won't correct.

Choco cocktails, right poet? :D
And a six-pack of Guinness...

Pat~
03-20-2010, 04:39 AM
Don't worry, Perks.

I'm waiting for my son to explain to the kids at kindergarten how mummy and daddy make alcohol at home. :)

LOL!

We've done this for years, and it never occurred to me that we should've been worried about our daughter talking it up at school. *sigh* Too late now; she'll graduate next year. I'm sure by now they know all about the 5-gallon glass container of beer fermenting in the guest bath tub, and the 3' high metal cannister of aging lemon cello decorating our laundry room...

Perks, that teacher had no business dismantling your photo album. Good grief.

Paul
03-20-2010, 05:08 AM
Sex with leprechauns? You're gross.

Don't knock it till you've tried it....

The terms 'over the rainbow' and pot o' gold' dont come from nowhere...

maxmordon
03-20-2010, 05:14 AM
I wonder what these parents tell to their kids about beer. "It's just daddy and mommy's grown-up juice, it makes everything go better!"

maxmordon
03-20-2010, 05:16 AM
If it helps anything, my old high school has life-sized sculptures of nude men wrestling, and I won a science fair with my project on wine making, complete with bottles of said homebrew.

I'd better stop by and make sure the nude dudes are still there...

My middle school chemistry teacher told us a story about how he and his brother back then used to brew moonshine until their backyard shed exploded. Just to show us how science can be cool mixing both: alcohol and explosions.

maxmordon
03-20-2010, 05:19 AM
Hey, I can send you a story about the real Irish leprechauns, too (they're known for their sexual prowess, not rainbows and pots of gold).

Now you have my attention.

milly
03-20-2010, 05:21 AM
My middle school chemistry teacher told us a story about how he and his brother back then used to brew moonshine until their backyard shed exploded. Just to show us how science can be cool mixing both: alcohol and explosions.

moonshine rocks...if you don't drink so much that you go blind

maxmordon
03-20-2010, 05:27 AM
moonshine rocks...if you don't drink so much that you go blind

Once I tried to drink Cocuy, which is pretty much Venezuelan tequila (both come from Agave, but different types of Agave). I only had one sip and it was one sip too many.

milly
03-20-2010, 05:32 AM
yeah...I grew up around a lot of moonshine stills...a pretty dangerous buisiness but amazing stuff...pint jars of volatility...scary sips for sure

Bartholomew
03-20-2010, 05:52 AM
Well, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. My daughter's teacher had sent a note asking if I would send in some pictures of this past summer's trip to Ireland. She asked especially for photos that showed my daughter, so she could tell the class about the trip.

So I did.

I put together a nice little album from that part of the vacation, complete with maps, captions and little bits of historical information.

I got a phone call before the kids came home, explaining why my album had been dismantled (no harm done to the pictures.) I was scolded for having included photos of a completely family-friendly Guinness brewery tour. No one is drinking in any of the photos, but there were some great shots of the kids reclining in the barley and learning about how Guinness was made.

I stammered an apology, but far more than sorry, I'm really annoyed.

The public school system is a shambling mess. If you have the resources, I'd opt for a private school.

This annoying anecdote shows you less than a billionth of the inane nonsense that teachers waste their time with.