PDA

View Full Version : Per California Vehicle Code Section 28400:

JoeEkaitis
03-16-2010, 07:45 PM
24800. No vehicle shall be driven at any time with the parking lamps lighted except when the lamps are being used as turn signal lamps or when the headlamps are also lighted.

So, why do I see so many of you driving with only your parking lights on, especially in the fog or at dusk or early dawn and, yes, even in the darkest dark of night?

Didn't your Mama raise you any better? Or, more likely, is that who you learned it from?

Devil Ledbetter
03-16-2010, 08:38 PM
That law should end with "unless you are driving a bad ass 1971 Monte Carlo at dusk."

Don Allen
03-16-2010, 08:42 PM
Does this mean California has 24799 more vehicle codes? Shit! no wonder you peopl want to legalize Mary jane.

Gugland
03-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Does this mean California has 24799 more vehicle codes?

At least! Seriously, you wouldn't believe the BS laws we have out here. They put 'em on the books so cops have an endless list of reasons to get away with pulling over anyone they want.

Cella
03-16-2010, 09:44 PM
:roll:

tjwriter
03-16-2010, 09:48 PM
So this is like the silver cars that drive against a cloudy backdrop (it's country here, no building, sky meets road kind of viewpoint) with no lights on at all? And you can't see them coming toward or coming up behind you.

Or like the people who seem to think it's chic and the cool new thing to drive their itty bitty car in the minivan's blind spot and just sit there forever? Or at least until I hit the gas or the brake and change the situation.

tjwriter
03-16-2010, 09:51 PM
Oh, and people with no lights on in dense fog should be shot. Period.

WildScribe
03-16-2010, 09:58 PM
My husband's truck turns the parking lights on for him automatically when he starts the vehicle - there's no way to turn them off.

And, the vehicle code for ANY state is going to be ridiculously long. It's not just California. Get over it. :tongue

BenPanced
03-17-2010, 12:18 AM
Don't flash your headlights on and off to signal another driver theirs aren't on. Bill Gates will send a kitten to Disneyworld or something.

Mac H.
03-17-2010, 07:55 AM
What is the point of that rule?

Having the edge 'parking' lamps lit is just going to make the car more visible.

So in California driving during daytime:
1. NO lamps lit - OK
2. Headlights AND edge lights on - OK
3. Just edge lights on - Illegal ?

Why ? What would be the benefit of that law?

I'm guessing it's an archaic rule from the old days when turning indicators and parking lamps were the same.

Thankfully it is probably a rule that affects only a few ... everybody else can be safer by doing the RIGHT thing, rather than the LEGAL thing.

Mac