Query now or wait til after Bologna?

trocadero

Registered
Reaction score
Website
carolynwoulfe.livejournal.com
I'm ready to query on my YA novel, but can't decide whether to send out my first batch now, or wait til after the Bologna book fair... What are other people doing?

I wish I was going to Bologna!

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Are you sure it would get tossed to the side? I just queried an agent and got an automated response saying she was at bologna (damn I forgot) and that she'd get to her desk in april. Do you really think my query would be disregarded? Should I resend in mid-april or hope for the best?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you sure it would get tossed to the side? I just queried an agent and got an automated response saying she was at bologna (damn I forgot) and that she'd get to her desk in april. Do you really think my query would be disregarded? Should I resend in mid-april or hope for the best?

Conventional wisdom is NOT to requery. It looks unprofessional.

Take your best shot, of course, and if you think that's going to be in April then do it then. However, you can always find SOME reason that it's not a good time. Don't over analyze this. I'm really surprised that many of our query gurus (of which I am not one) have not weighed in on this.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
If you're ready now, and you're not going to be any more ready in April, I'd send it now (unless you read the agent's blog and you know for sure he or she will be unavailable). Otherwise there are a zillion reasons not to query--it's the holidays, the weather is getting nice, etc. etc.

If you think you can take the extra couple weeks to work on your manuscript some more, then do that.

ILove2Write

Jaws has nightmares too
Registered
Reaction score
I would wait until after Bologna. What can another week hurt?

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
Well but why on earth should you wait a week? Most people don't read queries THAT DAY, they read them in the order they are received. So why not get in line now, what difference does it make?

Also, plenty of agents aren't at Bologna. *ahem*

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If you wait, about a hundred other writers are going to be read ahead of your query. If the agent fills her available slot(s) before getting to your query, you're out of luck.

The only thing waiting ever does is put you at the end of the line.

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with James.

Queries go through my agent's assistant first, who is not in Bologna.

Yeah...just like inquries from my client's go through my assistant first whether I am in the office or not...I say send away!

And no, my legal assistant is not in Bologna either...she may be in Corned Beef though, sometimes I wonder what she is doing out there...

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Query now to get in line. Many already there.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Send it now. Really, what difference is it going to make? Chances are, even if the agent was here, it might not get looked at for weeks or months anyway.