PDA

View Full Version : ATM Machines 1970s Los Angeles Anyone Remember?

JulieHowe
03-16-2010, 09:05 AM
I don't remember seeing an ATM in Los Angeles until 1982, but I just found an ad in a magazine from 1977. Santa Monica Bank called their ATM card the Anytime Teller. According to the ad, this was 'the first 24-hour banking service in Santa Monica.'

I was curious to know if anyone has recollections of using ATMs in Los Angeles before 1982. The bank name isn't even important, just recollections, if you have any. Also, offhand if anyone remembers the first time they saw an ATM machine in a supermarket or convenience store in the Los Angeles area, these recollections would be helpful as well.

Thanks!

poetinahat
03-16-2010, 09:18 AM
I entered college in Boston in September 1982 - which is relevant because I had to open a bank account. The bank already had a network of ATMs - not as interlinked as today, certainly, but they were there. IIRC, they weren't in supermarkets or convenience stores yet; they would generally be found only outside bank branches themselves.

As I remember, the networks were discrete: a bank's ATM system might have been hooked into, say, the Cirrus network, but you could definitely not use one bank's ATM to get at your account in another bank. So you might have to walk blocks past several ATM's - or even take a train (translate to "drive" for LA) - to get to one you could use.

Hey, not the answer you were looking for, but consider it a seed - like the coins a busker puts in her guitar case to encourage others to chip in...

underthecity
03-16-2010, 04:31 PM
I'm not from Santa Monica, but I do remember seeing commercials for Jeannie ATMs in the very early 80s as well as Tellerific. IIRC, both were inside grocery stores. Altough we lived in the Cincinnati tristate, both commercials were national.

mtrenteseau
03-16-2010, 11:02 PM
Not very useful, I know, but it might inspire some memories from others...

When I worked in the ATM department of a bank here in Atlanta we found a poster advertising the convenience of using your ATM card at the 1984 Olympics.

In Philadelphia we had MAC, which was a network - but the ATMs at bank branches carried full MAC signage, rather than identifying the bank.

Here in Atlanta, First Atlanta had Tillie the Teller, and Trust Company had T24. I don't think C&S Bank gave their ATMs a name, but they were at the forefront of letting use a non-Visa/Mastercard ATM card for shopping.

DeleyanLee
03-16-2010, 11:15 PM
There were ATMs in Detroit in 1977, when I was a senior in high school. I'd gotten the account and card that summer. It became or was a member of the STAR network.

I just remember calling them money machines. Don't remember a special name for them, but it wasn't MAC. I'd never heard of MAC ATMs until I came to Pittsburgh.

JulieHowe
03-17-2010, 02:41 AM
Thank you all for the helpful responses. :)

Edited to add: keywords that helped in researching this topic within the United States included:

ATM (adding the word machine seemed to negatively skew the results) I was surprised at how early in history ATM worked as a useful search term, way back to the 1970s.

bank-card (with the hyphen included) This brought up search results before 1986.

(Searches conducted outside North America were less helpful because apparently ATMs were in wide use in the Middle East by January of 1970, especially in Brunei.)

Medievalist
03-17-2010, 02:46 AM
Gogle the major ATM networks. Look at the back of your atm card to find them.

Email the contact address at the Web site and ask?

Also, try the University of California Credit Union; they served St. Johns Hospital in Santa Monica.

alleycat
03-17-2010, 02:56 AM
I can't remember the exact year, but there were ATM machines where I live by the mid to late seventies.

When they first came out, banks gave them cutesy names; one I remember was Tammy the Timeless Teller.

alleycat
03-17-2010, 03:02 AM
Adding . . .

I Googled to see if I could find when a local bank (Third National) had the "Tammy the Timeless Teller" machines. I found a website that said it was 1975; which is about what I remembered.

This was Nashville, but LA should have had them about the same time, if not earlier.

StephanieFox
03-17-2010, 03:27 AM
I worked for an Iowa congressman 1974 to 1978 and one of the things we had to deal with was a test market experiment in some Iowa banks. They had automatic money machines which you could get money from if you had a special bank card. Our office had to deal with this because it had to do with banks and my boss was on the banking committee.

Iowa (specifically Des Moines) was one of the first places that had them. I forget with year this was, but I think it was '75 or '76. The next year, they began to show up nation wide. It could have been that LA was a test market, too, but usually they go to smaller areas to do test markets. It's more likely that ATMs didn't get to LA until the next year. I'm not exactly sure, tho'.

PGK
03-17-2010, 04:39 AM
I don't mean to be that guy, but my wife would kill me if I let this one go without mentioning that ATM=Automated Teller Machine. So to say ATM Machine is equal to Automated Teller Machine Machine.

Sorry, I know this adds nothing to the thread, but I've been hearing my wife nag about this for years and this is the first time I get to correct someone else on it . . . though I still say it all the time myself.

JulieHowe
03-17-2010, 07:41 AM
I don't mean to be that guy, but my wife would kill me if I let this one go without mentioning that ATM=Automated Teller Machine. So to say ATM Machine is equal to Automated Teller Machine Machine.

Sorry, I know this adds nothing to the thread, but I've been hearing my wife nag about this for years and this is the first time I get to correct someone else on it . . . though I still say it all the time myself.

I'm completely lost. :) Your comment will probably make perfect sense once I'm sober. Right now, I'm downing a homemade smoothie spiked with Mike's Hard Lemonade.

Somewhat off-topic: If any writer is looking for research information about the history of Los Angeles (1950-1990), I've got a ton of source material, and I'll answer any question I can if you post here on the AW forums. When I'm sober, of course.

PGK
03-17-2010, 06:58 PM
I was simply stating that ATM is an acronym for Automated Teller Machine. When people say ATM Machine they are repeating the word "machine." You wouldn't say "I'm looking for an Automated Teller Machine Machine," but that's what people say when they say ATM Machine.

No big deal, just clarifying.

JulieHowe
03-17-2010, 11:36 PM
I was simply stating that ATM is an acronym for Automated Teller Machine. When people say ATM Machine they are repeating the word "machine." You wouldn't say "I'm looking for an Automated Teller Machine Machine," but that's what people say when they say ATM Machine.

No big deal, just clarifying.

Ok I get it now. :) Duh (me). The second use of the word 'machine' is redundant. The correct phrase should be I'm looking for an ATM, not I'm looking for an Automated Teller Machine Machine.

underthecity
03-18-2010, 02:30 AM
I've always said, simply, ATM. In fact, see my above post (#3).