Expertise required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yellowscribe

Registered
Reaction score
I hope those of you who have written books (or are in the process) can help me out with this one.

I have an idea for a book on sex/sexual health for teens, but am unsure about pursuing it. Mainly because I don't have the formal education or work-related experience in that field. Well, actually I've written on sexual health topics quite extensively for some big name publications. The thing is I'm afraid I'll be shot down if I go after this, simply because I don't have the Ph.D. or whatever behind my name.

So, in your opinions, do you think this is really required for a book of this nature? Of course I plan to do extensive research and interviews if I decide to go forward with it, but I'm just curious (and scared) about whether this is doable. Thoughts?

christa

talk to the dog
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christakolster.com
Yes it is doable and I'd certainly go for it! The fact that you'd already written "extensively for some big name publications" in related topics gives you credibility. A Ph.D would be nice but not necessarily necessary. You could try and have a foreward written by a Ph.D. You could also use ample quotes and references from experts (and Ph.D's) in the field.
I'd pull together a proposal package and send it out!

TashaGoddard

Away with the fairies
Registered
Reaction score
As Christa says, the fact that you've already written on related topics extensively will be a big selling point. This means you have some expertise in the field (even if you don't have a PhD!) and publishers will like this. They will also like the fact that you already know how to string a sentence together.

It sounds as though you should definitely get that proposal worked up (and maybe a sample chapter or three) and start querying.

Good luck!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Oh, boy. This one is tough. Mighty tough. On the one hand you have articles published, and this might be your saving grace. However, if you are not credentialed in the core sciences to ANY degree, nor do you have a past vocational history in this subject, it is going to be a very tough pull. It is called your platform and I got called on it big time by 21 agents, who all said the same thing--no platform, or first-hand knowledge. I should not have written the book, although I was a self-taught student (20 years), had been on field trips, and worked for the USGS. I wasted eight months of research and writing the book.

Tell you what, our resident Andy Zack will not pull any punches and give you the straight dope on your qualifications. Ask him first, he is extremely knowledgebale about who really does have the platform and credits to script a book such as yours.

Don't do what I did. If you have to, query several publishing houses and explain your qualifications up front and a brief synop. Ask them if they honestly think you will be considered a bona fide credentialed source.

I think you might be okay. But you're riding a fence here.

Tri

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
yellowscribe said:
I hope those of you who have written books (or are in the process) can help me out with this one.

I have an idea for a book on sex/sexual health for teens, but am unsure about pursuing it. Mainly because I don't have the formal education or work-related experience in that field. Well, actually I've written on sexual health topics quite extensively for some big name publications. The thing is I'm afraid I'll be shot down if I go after this, simply because I don't have the Ph.D. or whatever behind my name.

So, in your opinions, do you think this is really required for a book of this nature? Of course I plan to do extensive research and interviews if I decide to go forward with it, but I'm just curious (and scared) about whether this is doable. Thoughts?

I think what Tri says about not having the platform for your book is very valid, but there are definitely ways you can get around it. Do you have teens of your own? Are you involved in any kind of programs/avocational interest activities that would enable you to be considered an "expert" in teen sexuality? You could also do what I did--find a PhD to be your co-author and collaborate on the book. It will make it stronger, anyway, to have two experts working together.
Good luck!

yellowscribe

Registered
Reaction score
No, I don't have teens. I'm only 23 myself, which would be one of my selling points. From what I see books on teenage sexuality are normally written by "older" folks, so my thing would be someone writing it who recently experienced it, rather than someone who was a teen decades ago.

Epicman

I said What!?!?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cometogetherbooks.com
My 2 cents...

I believe that the work has to speak to the audience in a way that someone far removed has a hard time doing. In your case it is teens and a 30 or 40 or 50 something PhD will have a difficult time with this.

I have a suggestion for you. Get a person with a PhD in health, public health, etc. or even an MS and get them to either 'consult' with you as in "Jane Smith author in consultation with Mary Mane PhD" or get them to edit it as in "Edited By Mary Mane PhD" or get them to co-author. I would think that many would jump at the chance. All acadameans strive to be published and if they could ensure your accuracy while you make the delivery it is sure to be a winner. I myself am a research scientist - a Biologist to be specific. But I have always been able to speak and write in a manner that is understandable to any type of audience.

Hope this helps

Epicman

Status
Not open for further replies.