Tilda

Registered
Reaction score

Last edited:

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
Tilda said:
I was just talking with someone who is publishing an adult novel this year, and we started talking advances. This person held the view that if I managed to get published with my MG novel, my advance would at the highest be half of hers (she refused to tell me the exact number, but I suspect somewhere around 7000-10000 USD).
So now, I'd like to get straight and honest figures. What kind of advances can a first-time children's writer with a MG novel expect? I'll be submitting in the UK, but US figures would be interesting, too.
Thanks!

I'm getting $3,000 for MG NONFICTION from two different major publishers. Don't know about fiction, however. Most of the sales of my books are to libraries and schools. They stay in print a long time, and the contract gives me first rights to work on future editions for additional $$. Writing children's nonfiction is not the main source of my income, and the books do tend to sell through. One publisher offered a choice between advance and royalties or paying more up front and doing the book as work for hire. I chose the advance and royalties.

Last edited: