• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for a Beta-Reader for YA Historical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
I am looking for someone who has beta-read before, is familiar with the YA Market, and of course loves history (like the North during the Civil War :D)

I need someone whol will be throughly committed to this and see it all the way to the end. If you are interested just send me a private message or post on here. Here is a link to the first few pages of chapter one that I posted on here, you need to look at post number #17 and 19 as those are my latest revisions, which I will also post on this thread (check the post beneath me) and the word count is 63,900 (but I am editing it so it could change)

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172222

Here is the synopsis of A Constant Companion

Alice Morgan is not exactly thrilled when she learns she must become the companion for the crabby town spinster, Miss Montague. She hadn't exactly envision her days being preoccupied by reading Walden and discussing the War with the elderly woman, who clearly doesn't want her around either. But things take a turn when a mysterious young man shows up in their town, bringing with him dangerous and scandelous secrets of the Massachusetts elite. Soon, the small whaling community will be turned on its head as the season progresses

Last edited:

Belle_91

Registered
Reaction score
“I have heard that you are to become a companion, Miss Morgan?”
Alice Morgan glanced up at the sound of her name, a little repulsed when she saw the gray eyes of Charles Hampton gawking at her from above his champagne glass. The two were standing in the Townsend’s large ball room, watching as the dancers moved across the floor to the tune of a waltz. The smell of heavy perfume and champagne tingled Alice’s senses as she waved a fan across her face, already feeling a little light-headed from her constricting corset. Still, she managed to pin on a smile as she tried not to note how Mr. Hampton’s breath reeked of alcohol.

“Yes I am to become a companion of Miss Montague,” Alice replied pleasantly.
“How terrible,” Charles said. He took another long gulp of his drink before setting the empty glass on the tray of a nearby waiter. “I would hate to work for such an old hag. Is she here tonight?”

“No, she decided she needed some rest.” Alice adjusted the bodice of her dress which came just off the shoulder to reveal perfectly pale flesh. The gown was a shade of deep blue trimmed with black lace around the shoulders and hem, a matching cameo choker wrapped around her slender throat. At the time she had put it on Alice had felt decent enough, but standing next to Charles Hampton suddenly made her feel rather exposed.

“You must feel fortunate that Miss Montague isn’t here,” Charles continued. “That way you don’t feel that you have to attend on her during the ball.”

Alice fought back the urge to roll her eyes. She wanted to tell him that she would much rather enjoy a conversation with the stuffy spinster than with him. She would also absolutely love to know how his wife felt about him flirting with other ladies. But of course this would be unseemly conduct. Alice just glued her eyes to the dancing couples, pretending that she didn’t hear him. She only wished that she had someone to share the evening with. Charles did not exactly make much of a romantic partner as he was obviously a little intoxicated, and of course married.

Alice glanced down at her dance card, her spirits falling even more when she saw that the next dance was the patty-cake polka and Charles himself had signed on as her partner. When she looked back up at him he was smiling at her like a smug cat that had just caught a mouse. In fact he almost did look like a cat with his dark blond hair sleeked back, his narrow gray eyes, his pointed nose, and the slightest hint of a mustache starting to curl around his lips. She tried not to grimace as the next dance was called, knowing full-well that she had to accept his offer.

She took Mr. Hampton’s arm, allowing him to lead her to the center of the room where the rest of the couples were pairing up. Among them Alice spied Charles’s younger sister and one of her own good friends, Margaret Hampton, on the arm of Fredrick Townsend. Beside them the recently engaged Lucy Millington and Richard Townsend appeared bright and joyful as well-wishers flocked around them to congratulate the couple on the coming nuptials and, of course, take a look at the ring that Miss Millington was now sporting.

“Who is that gentlemen over there?” Charles asked as they lined up.
Alice glanced around the crowd of taffeta and silk-clad women and men in their black tails. She could spy all of the usual players that came out during the Devonshire season; the families from Boston escaping the city before the heat set in, the whaling heirs and the middle class families trying to make a name for themselves. But there was a new face tonight, a face that Alice did not recognize, and she thought she knew everyone in Devonshire. The man in question was tall with broad shoulders and a perfectly cut face. His hair was blond and scraped the edges of his white collar, the bangs sweeping over his crystal blue eyes. Alice quickly noted how handsome he was as she watched him line up for the polka as well.

“I don’t know who that is,” she said, finding herself almost unable to take her eyes off of him.
Before Charles had time to respond the music struck up for the dance. Alice sank into a curtsy in front of Charles who was smiling at her in a way that made her want to grimace. He said something to her but his words were inaudible over the music, something which Alice was eternally gratefully for. She clapped hands and circled around him before skipping over to the left to join her next partner, something that she was even more grateful for.

As she looked up to clap hands with the new dancer, she was surprised to see the man she and Charles had been talking about smiling down at her. He looked even handsomer up close with his blue eyes glittering in the dim candle light like pale sapphires. With an easy smile he bowed as Alice sank into another curtsy. She could feel her cheeks turn red beneath his stare, somehow managing a small smile on her lips as his eyes continued to linger over her. For a second, Alice thought that he was admiring her, star-struck by her beauty. It was only when Lucy Millington and her partner rammed into her that Alice realized she had been standing there like a dolt while the other couples danced around them.

“Forgive me,” she whispered hoarsely as she finally clapped hands with him. “I seemed to have, um, I seemed to have-” She couldn’t think of an excuse for her impertinent behavior and cursed herself silently for being so foolish. “I guess I just got carried away with the music.” She winced as the words came out of her mouth, instantly regretting them, knowing full well how ridiculous they sounded.

The stranger didn’t seem to mind and just laughed as they switched sides, Alice having to fight her way through the giant hoopskirts of the other ladies as they all circled around their gentlemen partners. She snuck a look back at the gentleman, glad to see that he was still smiling at her, and she prayed that he didn’t think her to be some sort of fool. She had wanted to come up with something witty and clever about her rather awkward behavior, but her mind kept running blank. She was relieved when the dance ended, the stranger bowing over Alice as she sank into a deep curtsy, her blue skirts pooling around her like a puddle.

“Who will you be dancing with next, madam?” the man asked as he offered her his arm.
Alice hastily snatched up her dance card which was tied around her wrist. “It seems that the band will be taking an intermission now.”

“Oh thank God,” the young man breathed as they moved over to where the other guests were crowded. “I don’t know anyone at this ball and wouldn’t have been able to locate your next partner.”

“You’re new in town?” Alice asked like she didn’t know.
“Yes, my family just arrived a few days ago from New Hampshire. We are currently staying with the Townsends who insisted that we come to their party this evening. Oh, forgive me; I don’t believe I have introduced myself. I am William Burbage.”

“Alice Morgan and it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. How long have you been staying with the Townsends? I have known Richard and Fredrick forever it seems.”

“My mother and I just arrived a few days ago,” William confessed. “I am afraid we haven’t really gotten settled in yet, but Mr. Townsend insisted that we come tonight for the ball. I think I already mentioned that though.” He smiled down apologetically at Alice who couldn’t help but find it amusing. Giggling she asked, “And are you enjoying yourself, Mr. Burbage?”
His smile suddenly grew more confident and there was a sharp glint of light in his eyes. “I think I am now.”

Alice blushed. She had never been flirted with like that before, and she had to admit that she did like it. “Have you ever been to Devonshire before? Forgive me but I have never seen you here nor heard the Townsends mention you.” She winced at her poor choice of words and prayed that he didn’t notice.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
How many words is your manuscript?

I'll say this, you write really well. I'm not available right now, but if you're still looking in a couple weeks, send me a PM and I'll see if I can. Though I suspect you'll get offers soon. That first bit was really good. Nicely done.

Cheers

Belle_91

Registered
Reaction score
The ms is about 63,900 (but I am editing so its subject to change)

thanks and if no one comes I'll definatly keep you in mind :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.