The World's 10 Best Bookshops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The Guardian have an article discussing ten of possibly the best bookshops in the world. The pictures in the links are gorgeous. Here is the Livraria Lello in Porto, for example. Has anyone here been to any of them?

BrooklynLee

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
No, but now I want to go! I've always thought we have some really attractive bookstores here in Boston, but nothing quite like these....

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Amazing! I've been to the Borders' in Glasgow, still have a lot of books I bought there.

And thank God they didn't name Foyle's, the infamous atrocity on Charing Cross Street, in London, the Bookstore from Hell if ever there was one.

caw

Deleted member 42

I think they should have included Powell's City of Books in Portland, Oregon.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
The first thing I thought when i saw this was, "This list is a joke if they don't have El Ateneo." But of course they do. One of the most awesome things I saw in Buenos Aires -- it's like a cathedral of the book.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
And thank God they didn't name Foyle's, the infamous atrocity on Charing Cross Street, in London, the Bookstore from Hell if ever there was one.

caw

How recently have you been there? It's been considerably revamped since Christina Foyle passed away - she was the one who blocked any attempts at modernisation and she lived into her 90s.

I'd agree with you before then, though.

Speaking of my own interests, it has one of the biggest selections of YA I've seen, including some imported US books - much more so than the enormous Waterstone's on Piccadilly.

Of the ones on the list, I've been to Borders Glasgow, though since Borders UK went bust since I was last in that city I don't know what the shop's fate has been.

Last edited:

The Grump

Hates Marketing. Loves Writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mktheodoratus.com
I lose myself in small book stores. I'd be feared to go into one of the "cathedrals" mentioned by the Guardian.

Status
Not open for further replies.