PDA

View Full Version : The World's 10 Best Bookshops

Sophia
03-14-2010, 01:02 AM
The Guardian have an article (http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/jan/11/bestukbookshops) discussing ten of possibly the best bookshops in the world. The pictures in the links are gorgeous. Here (http://www.360portugal.com/Distritos.QTVR/Porto.VR/vilas.cidades/Porto/a5_lello.html) is the Livraria Lello in Porto, for example. Has anyone here been to any of them?

BrooklynLee
03-14-2010, 01:12 AM
No, but now I want to go! I've always thought we have some really attractive bookstores here in Boston, but nothing quite like these....

blacbird
03-14-2010, 04:31 AM
Amazing! I've been to the Borders' in Glasgow, still have a lot of books I bought there.

And thank God they didn't name Foyle's, the infamous atrocity on Charing Cross Street, in London, the Bookstore from Hell if ever there was one.

caw

Medievalist
03-14-2010, 05:07 AM
I think they should have included Powell's City of Books in Portland, Oregon.

Claudia Gray
03-14-2010, 07:28 AM
The first thing I thought when i saw this was, "This list is a joke if they don't have El Ateneo." But of course they do. One of the most awesome things I saw in Buenos Aires -- it's like a cathedral of the book.

eyeblink
03-14-2010, 12:21 PM
And thank God they didn't name Foyle's, the infamous atrocity on Charing Cross Street, in London, the Bookstore from Hell if ever there was one.

caw

How recently have you been there? It's been considerably revamped since Christina Foyle passed away - she was the one who blocked any attempts at modernisation and she lived into her 90s.

I'd agree with you before then, though.

Speaking of my own interests, it has one of the biggest selections of YA I've seen, including some imported US books - much more so than the enormous Waterstone's on Piccadilly.

Of the ones on the list, I've been to Borders Glasgow, though since Borders UK went bust since I was last in that city I don't know what the shop's fate has been.

The Grump
03-14-2010, 08:59 PM
I lose myself in small book stores. I'd be feared to go into one of the "cathedrals" mentioned by the Guardian.

CAWriter
03-15-2010, 06:56 AM

That was my first thought. Any list that would ignore Powell's is incomplete, for sure.

maxmordon
03-15-2010, 07:14 AM
Is this a list of possible heavens to go?

Medievalist
03-15-2010, 07:49 AM
Let's put it this way . . . I wanna visit them all.

maxmordon
03-15-2010, 08:46 AM
My aunt actually went to the one in Buenos Aires, got me an anthology of Borges there.

maxmordon
03-15-2010, 09:38 AM

Apparently the book image on top of the forum links to this bookstore, I wonder if is a coincidence...

cletus
03-23-2010, 10:21 PM
I've been to numbers 6 and 10.