PDA

View Full Version : Now that you're rich and famous...

Brukaviador
03-13-2010, 06:02 PM
Okay, you've just got your novel published and it's an international best seller loved by millions. The novel then gets picked up by a major movie studio and goes on to be a blockbuster success. Now everybody knows your name and you've got more cash than you can possibly spend in ten lifetimes.

What do you do with the rest of your life besides continue to write?

kayleamay
03-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Bubblegum for everyone!

and I'd pay off my house.

Wayne K
03-13-2010, 06:21 PM
I'd build a tower tall enough so I can spit on the whole world.

What, I'm evil, dinna tell ya?

Leah J. Utas
03-13-2010, 06:26 PM
I'd fly first class. Doesn't matter where.

Shadow_Ferret
03-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Why continue to write? I can't top that.

I'll go into seclusion and live off my millions.

Paper & Pencil
03-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Let's see...
Go do stuff I've always wanted to do like learn to snowboard, scuba diving, visit Japan, definitely pay off bills and help my family with the things they've been needing for awhile. Put some aside for an awesome wedding (should that ever be down the line for me), take writing classes like crazy.

I'd probably still write, but it'd have slowed down, and I'd spend more time trying to help out other writers by critiquing or offering what I know.

Kaiser-Kun
03-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Once my story is published, I produce the adaptations for an animated series, videogame for all consoles except the Xbox 360, videogame in Lego version for all consoles except the Xbox 360, videogame in Guitar Hero version for all consoles except the Xbox 360, Action Figures, Comics, novelizations of the videogames based on the novel, feature film, and then I post anonymous comments in YouTube flaming the people who complain about it.

cray
03-13-2010, 06:50 PM
you should also consider a puppy removal surgery, kaiser.
they've really come a long way with that one ~~ it's an inpatient deal now-a-days. ;)

Paper & Pencil
03-13-2010, 06:50 PM
Once my story is published, I produce the adaptations for an animated series, videogame for all consoles except the Xbox 360, videogame in Lego version for all consoles except the Xbox 360, videogame in Guitar Hero version for all consoles except the Xbox 360, Action Figures, Comics, novelizations of the videogames based on the novel, feature film, and then I post anonymous comments in YouTube flaming the people who complain about it.

Ha, ha. I'm sensing a dislike of the Xbox 360.
That all sounds like an awesome plan, I should have thought of that.

Maryn
03-13-2010, 06:53 PM
I'd start a charitable foundation, addressing a single problem which concerns me and seems soluble, then I'd throw my money and influence into solving it, not just writing checks but getting my fans to write checks and/or volunteer their efforts.

Seriously, don't you think Stephen King could impact Maine's children who don't get enough to eat? John Grisham the rebuilding of New Orleans? Neal Stephenson the classrooms without computers?

I'd pick an issue small enough to improve dramatically and go for it.

Maryn, thinking teenage pregnancy or low high school graduation rates

JoeEkaitis
03-13-2010, 07:33 PM
I'll never know. Small press books are summarily from thousands of public libraries because ALA Booklist and School Library Journal won't review them.

KellyAssauer
03-13-2010, 07:37 PM
From my new luxurious Monaco headquarters, I’d begin the largest philanthropic venture ever attempted -with the single goal of returning the world to a matriarchal society!

Can you imagine? Paris fashions that fit! or the “I used to be a sex offender, but now I’m in the all eunuch International choir?” Oh oh! think of the Victor’s Secret catalogs!

Oh yeah, I so know what I’d do :D

scarletpeaches
03-13-2010, 07:39 PM
I'd carry on writing because I love it. I write when I'm poor. I'll write when I'm rich.

I'd buy a house in Edinburgh, one in Sydney and travel in between whenever I felt the spirit move me. Of course I'd go cause havoc in Japan too. :D

I'd enjoy just being able to buy stuff I wanted without having to penny pinch or sacrifice other things I want.

semilargeintestine
03-13-2010, 07:52 PM
I'm with the Ferret. I'd make sure I do something wise with my money so that it will build on itself and I won't have to go from not working to flipping burgers or something. Music is my real arty passion, so I'd build a really nice studio and try to put something together that a label would like. And if none of them liked it, I'd start my own. :D

heyjude
03-13-2010, 08:03 PM
I'd start a charitable foundation, addressing a single problem which concerns me and seems soluble, then I'd throw my money and influence into solving it, not just writing checks but getting my fans to write checks and/or volunteer their efforts.

This is exactly what I thought, too. My church back in PA is building a place for the youth of a small town to hang out rather than, yanno, do drugs and commit crimes. They're doing great things but living on a nothing budget. I'd love to be able to help fund something like that.

Susie
03-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Great post, heyjude. I'd first buy everybody chocolit, then I'd give out bucks to those who teally need it and then I'd buy mehself and meh hubby a house that is in good shape and a car that has air conditioning. :D

aadams73
03-13-2010, 08:18 PM
I'd finally get that pony I always wanted.

Kaiser-Kun
03-13-2010, 08:22 PM
I write when I'm poor. I'll write when I'm rich.

I thought you were scarletpeaches.

charlotte49ers
03-13-2010, 08:26 PM
Be debt free, build a nice home on our land, and dedicate the rest of my time to writing, photography, and family.

I'd also volunteer my time in the schools, since teaching is a passion for me, I just would want more time for my fun hobbies and my husband/kids than having to be away from 7 - 5.

Cella
03-13-2010, 08:40 PM
I would order a drink when I go out to dinner instead of just water.

Oh, and tip really well.

scarletpeaches
03-13-2010, 08:44 PM
I'd finally get that pony I always wanted.The dirty one?
I thought you were scarletpeaches.Orshole.

Shadow_Ferret
03-13-2010, 08:56 PM
I'm with the Ferret. I'd make sure I do something wise with my money so that it will build on itself and I won't have to go from not working to flipping burgers or something. Music is my real arty passion, so I'd build a really nice studio and try to put something together that a label would like. And if none of them liked it, I'd start my own. :D

Oh, I forgot. I'll build my own home theater room so I can lock myself away and watch movies and music videos.

And drink. Lots of drinking. I'll finally be able to afford to be the alcoholic I've always wanted to be.

Sneaky Devil
03-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Move somewhere that makes it possible for me to have an elephant on my property to take care of. Seriously.

And continue to write.

rosewood
03-13-2010, 09:17 PM
From my new luxurious Monaco headquarters, Id begin the largest philanthropic venture ever attempted -with the single goal of returning the world to a matriarchal society!

Can you imagine? Paris fashions that fit! or the I used to be a sex offender, but now Im in the all eunuch International choir? Oh oh! think of the Victors Secret catalogs!

Oh yeah, I so know what Id do :D

And don't forgot to put painted nails on the little hand that appears when you pass your mouse across a link.

semilargeintestine
03-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Oh, I forgot. I'll build my own home theater room so I can lock myself away and watch movies and music videos.

And drink. Lots of drinking. I'll finally be able to afford to be the alcoholic I've always wanted to be.

I thought that was a given. :D

jennontheisland
03-13-2010, 09:23 PM
I'd build a trebuchet and convince people to let me launch them. (some people will do anything for money)

semilargeintestine
03-13-2010, 09:30 PM
If you lived in the Dark Ages and you were a catapult operator, I bet the most common question people would ask is, "Can't you make it shoot farther?" "No, I'm sorry. That's as far as it shoots."

EFCollins
03-13-2010, 09:54 PM
Okay, you've just got your novel published and it's an international best seller loved by millions. The novel then gets picked up by a major movie studio and goes on to be a blockbuster success. Now everybody knows your name and you've got more cash than you can possibly spend in ten lifetimes.

What do you do with the rest of your life besides continue to write?

I'd buy another house (nothing huge or flashy, just a nice little house with an extra bedroom or two for visitors) and set up trusts for my three children. I'd situate my mother so she could live comfortably alone (with assistance. Right now, I'm the assistance.). I'd give a large chunk to charity, invest some. After that, I'd continue to live life as I always have. Quiet, simple, frugal. No point in turning into something I'm not. I might eventually buy a car, but I did just buy a car so it'd be a few years.

Kaiser-Kun
03-13-2010, 09:58 PM
I'd build a trebuchet and convince people to let me launch them. (some people will do anything for money)

For added psychological effect:

http://www.recipeapart.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/funny-baby-costume.jpg

writerterri
03-14-2010, 08:16 AM
First I'd hit my knees and thank the good Lord above and then...

write a sequel, duh!

Gretad08
03-14-2010, 08:29 AM
I'd buy 50 or 60 acres of the prettiest land I could find and build a house for each of my family members.

I'd quit working my day job so I could write full time and travel travel travel.

writerterri
03-14-2010, 09:43 AM
For added psychological effect:

http://www.recipeapart.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/funny-baby-costume.jpg

Is that the most sweetest thang you've ever seen?

somebody hand me a spoon?

benbradley
03-14-2010, 10:32 AM
I might be afraid to continue to write in that my later stuff might not measure up. I could live with being a one-hit wonder, like Margaret Mitchell.

Hmm, I do have a few chips on my shoulder, um, agendas, er, causes I think I'd trumpet. And yes, there are a couple of 501-C3 organizations I'd donate to.

I might train for the Ironman. Perhaps I should do that anyway.

Mr Flibble
03-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Buy a nice house with an outbuilding I can use as a writing office. Install that baby oil jacuzzi, and the handcuffs. Populate said jacuzzi with various men from my daydreams. Make sure Old Man doesn't find out :D

Oh and a pony. I'd buy a pony too and dye it blue. Not pink dammit, I want a blue pony!

kct webber
03-14-2010, 07:25 PM
I'd buy Publish America--and then blow it up with a huge lobster-baby-bucket-bomb thrown from a trebuchet.

jennontheisland
03-14-2010, 07:32 PM
kct wins.

kayleamay
03-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Can I be thrown from a trebuchet in one of those giant hamster balls?

I would build a writers colony somewhere in the forest half-way up Mt. Hood. I would institute creative writing workshops for children through the Boys and Girl Clubs of America. I would still work in the ER, but probably only one shift a month, just to keep my skills up. I would build and live in an earthship. (If you don't know what that is, google it. They're awesome.) I would go by an alias so I'd still be treated like a schmo. I would let my kids design a woodland wonderland, then help them build it. I would have open house Sunday dinners for all of my family and friends. I'd sleep more. I would start a small press and hire my genius nieces to run it. I'd buy of the old section of my hometown and refurbish it, then offer subsidized rent to small business so that the place could flourish again.

I just realized that the best time to day dream is when you're really tired.

bettielee
03-15-2010, 04:34 AM
I'd finally get that pony I always wanted.

Oh hell yes, I'd get my pony and continue to write, but it damn sure won't be in a single room. I will buy the Victorian I always wanted and live in some lushly green, pretentious place where I am the strange reclusive writer.

And I'd help out the SPCA and the battered womens.

Alpha Echo
03-15-2010, 03:43 PM
Easy. Pay off all debt (including the house). Put some into a college fund for the Little One. Give some to charity. Put some in the bank to live off the interest....and travel around the world to fish in the world's best (warm) spots.

Well, SO would be doing most of the fishing, though I do enjoy it. I'd need to keep writing. :D

jilly61
03-15-2010, 04:03 PM
I'd buy a house with a pool and lots of land. I'd have an office in the garden and help with the boring housework stuff.I'd have someone to drive me around as I can't drive also I'd have a private plane complete with pilot and I'd travel a lot.

Alpha Echo
03-15-2010, 04:14 PM
Oh, we'd have to buy a boat. After we found the best beach on which to live, with the best ocean, and the best fish to catch.

Then we'd hire a local to run all our errands.

That's actually what we plan on doing when we retire, but we're thinking somewhere in Mexico b/c it's cheap (and gives us Gulf fishing of course!)

Chumplet
03-15-2010, 04:32 PM
First, I'd pay off my kids' college loans, then I'd sell this wreck of a house and kick those people out of my 250 year old dream house on Herald Road. We lived in that house for a brief time when my sister-in-law owned it, and I still love it in spite of its electric heat and the well water that smells like sulphur. That stuff can be fixed.

I'd fix up the 4-stall barn out back and get two horses, and also renovate the treehouse that's in the apple tree just in case I have grandchildren.

I'd convert the nursery area into a writing room. It has a window facing the cornfield across the road. I'd finally have a place to display my book covers and my old Underwood typewriter.

And after I muck out the stalls and ride the horses around the paddock for a while, I'd come inside to the huge kitchen, make a cup of tea, climb up the second winding staircase to my den and I'd write, write, write.

shyne
03-15-2010, 04:35 PM
Open a gentlemen's club with all midget dancers