Now that you're rich and famous...

Brukaviador

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, you've just got your novel published and it's an international best seller loved by millions. The novel then gets picked up by a major movie studio and goes on to be a blockbuster success. Now everybody knows your name and you've got more cash than you can possibly spend in ten lifetimes.

What do you do with the rest of your life besides continue to write?

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bubblegum for everyone!

and I'd pay off my house.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I'd build a tower tall enough so I can spit on the whole world.

What, I'm evil, dinna tell ya?

Leah J. Utas

Protecting Teddy with all my might.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd fly first class. Doesn't matter where.

Paper & Pencil

I miss the pink elephant...
Registered
Reaction score
Let's see...
Go do stuff I've always wanted to do like learn to snowboard, scuba diving, visit Japan, definitely pay off bills and help my family with the things they've been needing for awhile. Put some aside for an awesome wedding (should that ever be down the line for me), take writing classes like crazy.

I'd probably still write, but it'd have slowed down, and I'd spend more time trying to help out other writers by critiquing or offering what I know.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Once my story is published, I produce the adaptations for an animated series, videogame for all consoles except the Xbox 360, videogame in Lego version for all consoles except the Xbox 360, videogame in Guitar Hero version for all consoles except the Xbox 360, Action Figures, Comics, novelizations of the videogames based on the novel, feature film, and then I post anonymous comments in YouTube flaming the people who complain about it.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
you should also consider a puppy removal surgery, kaiser.
they've really come a long way with that one ~~ it's an inpatient deal now-a-days. ;)

Paper & Pencil

I miss the pink elephant...
Registered
Reaction score
Once my story is published, I produce the adaptations for an animated series, videogame for all consoles except the Xbox 360, videogame in Lego version for all consoles except the Xbox 360, videogame in Guitar Hero version for all consoles except the Xbox 360, Action Figures, Comics, novelizations of the videogames based on the novel, feature film, and then I post anonymous comments in YouTube flaming the people who complain about it.

Ha, ha. I'm sensing a dislike of the Xbox 360.
That all sounds like an awesome plan, I should have thought of that.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd start a charitable foundation, addressing a single problem which concerns me and seems soluble, then I'd throw my money and influence into solving it, not just writing checks but getting my fans to write checks and/or volunteer their efforts.

Seriously, don't you think Stephen King could impact Maine's children who don't get enough to eat? John Grisham the rebuilding of New Orleans? Neal Stephenson the classrooms without computers?

I'd pick an issue small enough to improve dramatically and go for it.

Maryn, thinking teenage pregnancy or low high school graduation rates

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
From my new luxurious Monaco headquarters, I’d begin the largest philanthropic venture ever attempted -with the single goal of returning the world to a matriarchal society!

Can you imagine? Paris fashions that fit! or the “I used to be a sex offender, but now I’m in the all eunuch International choir?” Oh oh! think of the Victor’s Secret catalogs!

Oh yeah, I so know what I’d do :D

Reaction score
I'd carry on writing because I love it. I write when I'm poor. I'll write when I'm rich.

I'd buy a house in Edinburgh, one in Sydney and travel in between whenever I felt the spirit move me. Of course I'd go cause havoc in Japan too. :D

I'd enjoy just being able to buy stuff I wanted without having to penny pinch or sacrifice other things I want.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with the Ferret. I'd make sure I do something wise with my money so that it will build on itself and I won't have to go from not working to flipping burgers or something. Music is my real arty passion, so I'd build a really nice studio and try to put something together that a label would like. And if none of them liked it, I'd start my own. :D

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I'd start a charitable foundation, addressing a single problem which concerns me and seems soluble, then I'd throw my money and influence into solving it, not just writing checks but getting my fans to write checks and/or volunteer their efforts.

This is exactly what I thought, too. My church back in PA is building a place for the youth of a small town to hang out rather than, yanno, do drugs and commit crimes. They're doing great things but living on a nothing budget. I'd love to be able to help fund something like that.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Great post, heyjude. I'd first buy everybody chocolit, then I'd give out bucks to those who teally need it and then I'd buy mehself and meh hubby a house that is in good shape and a car that has air conditioning. :D

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I'd finally get that pony I always wanted.

charlotte49ers

let it snow
Registered
Reaction score
Be debt free, build a nice home on our land, and dedicate the rest of my time to writing, photography, and family.

I'd also volunteer my time in the schools, since teaching is a passion for me, I just would want more time for my fun hobbies and my husband/kids than having to be away from 7 - 5.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would order a drink when I go out to dinner instead of just water.

Oh, and tip really well.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I'm with the Ferret. I'd make sure I do something wise with my money so that it will build on itself and I won't have to go from not working to flipping burgers or something. Music is my real arty passion, so I'd build a really nice studio and try to put something together that a label would like. And if none of them liked it, I'd start my own. :D

Oh, I forgot. I'll build my own home theater room so I can lock myself away and watch movies and music videos.

And drink. Lots of drinking. I'll finally be able to afford to be the alcoholic I've always wanted to be.

rosewood

Registered
Reaction score
From my new luxurious Monaco headquarters, I’d begin the largest philanthropic venture ever attempted -with the single goal of returning the world to a matriarchal society!

Can you imagine? Paris fashions that fit! or the “I used to be a sex offender, but now I’m in the all eunuch International choir?” Oh oh! think of the Victor’s Secret catalogs!

Oh yeah, I so know what I’d do :D

And don't forgot to put painted nails on the little hand that appears when you pass your mouse across a link.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot. I'll build my own home theater room so I can lock myself away and watch movies and music videos.

And drink. Lots of drinking. I'll finally be able to afford to be the alcoholic I've always wanted to be.

I thought that was a given. :D