I'm embarassed I have to ask this question but I don't text

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so let's say you have a cellphone and someone sends you a text - a picture.

(don't laugh)

Will you see the subject line first, and then you'd have to click on it to get the picture and message? Or would you see the subject and message and then have to click to get the picture or something?

Can you also CC: other people like you do in email? Like send the picture to several different phones at once?

If that's the case, would you see a list of all the people the person had sent it to, or would you only see your phone-number pop up?

I guess phones are different. I guess I'm referring to more up to date phones (though not necessary iphones lol)

Collectonian

Inclined to eclectic eccentricity
Registered
Reaction score
Text messages don't have subject lines :) If its a picture message, depending on the phone you'll see the picture with the message or have to click a link to see the pictures.

Yes, you can send a picture to multiple people at once, depending on the phone. As I recall, you just see the names of the other folks it was sent too.

JulieHowe

Spent the night with Jack Daniels
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't feel like a dinosaur. I was the first person I knew to own a computer with a modem (way back in 1993) but I was the last one to start using text messaging. I didn't even send my first text message until last year. If I receive a text message with a photo, I have to physically click or tap on the link with my finger to see the picture.

This is what my text message screen (without any picture messages) looks like right now:

Me (2)
Burp (I sent myself a one-word test message so I could try to answer your question)

64*640 (2)
KFI**40: M*** fans report for duty.

66*47 (3)

CBS/2KC**9 Alert: Multiple suspects h

The numbers in parentheses are the number of messages I've received from the sender. If want to read the entire message instead of the snippet, I tap on the screen with my finger. All the messages I've ever received from that sender would appear on the screen, with the most recent one at the bottom, and also, if I'd (CC'ed as you said) a copy of any of those messages to someone else, then I would also see that information on the screen. When there's too many old messages stored, I delete everything. This can be done with one tap or click.

66*47 and 64*640 are the usernames of the two message senders. 64*640 is a radio station I like, and I signed up for text message alerts. 66*47 is a local TV channel, and they send me breaking news text messages. My text-messaging username is my mobile phone number ***-2**-**** (obscured for obvious reasons, LOL). When my friend wants to send me a text message, they send it to that number, and it gets to me. She and my fiancee are the only ones who send me personal text messages.

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I can tell anywhere who else it was sent to. I see the number of the person (or name if I've programmed that in with their number) and "message received" or something, and have to click to see the message, text or no. In my inbox I see the first few words of the message instead of a subject. No pics there.

That said, they reprogrammed mine in the last few days and now I have something called conversations and no inbox. I haven't a clue how to skim chronologically through my inbox anymore! They are trying to make it more social and Facebooky than I like.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea, but I just had to pop in and say "Yay, I'm not the only one!" I had to actually research stuff like this and how to send pictures on phones and stuff for my last WIP. I used to have a cell, but it was just a phone haha. No fancy stuffs!

Just for future reference, you can usually find user manuals for phones online. That's how I did it. :)

JulieHowe

Spent the night with Jack Daniels
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Funny. I remember taking my first cell phone (around 1997) back to the store, because there was no dialtone, and I thought the phone was broken.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Let's rename this the Reluctant Luddite Thread. :D I've had a cellphone for over 15 years now, but the concept of texting eludes me. My issue is, it requires the same amount of effort as dialing the damn phone and calling, and you pay extra for it. So pick the damn phone number out of the menu and have a 30 second conversation. Don't get me started about text ads.
Chat rooms are so 1996 anyway.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After I became totally deaf, I worked for a bee farmer with apiaries in Montana and Oregon. I worked bees from North Dakota to the Pacific coast and south to the bend in California. The beekeepers linked with cell phones, but voice only.

I was very much outside the loop, so I asked for a phone and taught myself to text and send photos at age 63. Next I taught the boss to text and relay messages, but he got tired of that and had me pass along the how-to. Within a year, the entire honey company traded texts and work photos across the Pacific northwest like teens between classes.

Yep, you can send photos to one person, select a few, or everyone on your contact list at once. I keep my phone in a pocket so I can feel it vibrate for incoming messages and photos. The screen gives me the choice to view now or later. My cell keeps all messages and photos sent and received until deleted, a handy tool for remembering who said what.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Chase, just to clarify, if you have a legitimate medical reason for using text and not voice that's different. BTW I hear bees are repelled by cellphones (the microwaves the phone itself puts out)...?

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chase, just to clarify, if you have a legitimate medical reason for using text and not voice that's different. BTW I hear bees are repelled by cell phones (the microwaves the phone itself puts out)...?

Mario, my post merely followed yours; it wasn't in response to it. Many share your philosophy, particularly those my age, many of whom consider the text phone a toy.

It's true much of its use is exactly that. The other side of the coin is so many turn anything into destructive toys . . . vehicles, boom boxes, guns, boats, knives, skateboards, the list is endless.

Another AW thread contained brags of texting while driving. The idiot was banned here, and it's too bad it didn't extend to his driver's license.

I follow colony collapse disorder closely, and bees' aversion to cell phones is just another of dozens of theories under study. My bee boss is sure CCD was a direct result of two Bush administrations.

However, my sister (deaf since birth) and I are very happy the technology has advanced. Saying it's only worthwhile if there's a legitimate medical reason most likely means its use wouldn't be widespread enough to be of use to the deaf.

For example, TTY/DDY was and is a complicated nightmare. Oregon Relay for the Deaf is better for deafies, but the problems are numerous and far too many hearies won't cooperate--many, many hangups and not many call-backs.

Texting allows the deaf and hard-of-hearing much better communication independence, but only if the technology continues to grow in the hearing world.