03-12-2010, 01:42 AM
This the right link?
http://mansionstreet.com/

iowawriter
03-12-2010, 01:43 AM
yes.

DreamWeaver
03-12-2010, 02:01 AM
I went to the websites of the publishers from the recent deals page, and found books I've definitely seen at the bookstore from all of them. So that part looks good. I also checked Simon & Schuster and confirmed that "Mosh Potatoes" is a forthcoming book from Atria, so that part looks good, too.

No personal experience though.

Epiphany
03-12-2010, 02:30 AM
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this company. It seems to be run by *snip* and seems to be fairly new. They already have some sales. Anyone with any info? http://mansionstreet.com/

Thanks for the agent name. I was seriously looking for agent names everywhere on that website and couldn't find one. I had to address the query as "Dear Mansion Street Literary" and felt totally guilty for it. :(

iowawriter
03-12-2010, 02:49 AM
Thanks for the agent name. I was seriously looking for agent names everywhere on that website and couldn't find one. I had to address the query as "Dear Mansion Street Literary" and felt totally guilty for it. :(

That was how I address my query yesterday. She must not have taken it too personally because I got a partial request out of it.

Epiphany
03-12-2010, 03:30 AM
That was how I address my query yesterday. She must not have taken it too personally because I got a partial request out of it.

Oh snap! Congrats!

skippingstone
03-12-2010, 03:39 AM
I queried them as well today. I, too, searched their site up and down trying to find somebody's name just to avoid the "Dear Mysterious Literary Entity" salutation but to no avail. They seem a bit cloak and dagger. Or paranoid. Or quirkily fun and weird.

shellwitte
03-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Mansion Street is legit. I can confirm it both as an editor with Gibbs Smith who has worked with her and now as a bookstore owner.

It's a new boutique agency that is building its clientele, and I can guarantee that any writers she takes on are in good hands.

As for skippingstone's suggestions, I'd say "quirkily fun and weird" would be accurate.

Epiphany
03-13-2010, 10:33 PM
Does anyone know if they reply to every query? I want to know if I should bother putting them on the spreadsheet as knowing I'll get a response.

CaoPaux
03-17-2010, 04:45 AM
Any particular reason for the deletion of the agent's name?

Erin
03-17-2010, 06:43 AM
The agent who (I believe) runs the agency is <snipped> and I'd address my queries to her. A Google search reveals that she reps the literary estate of Charles Schulz.

skippingstone
03-17-2010, 05:33 PM
Epiphany: I did get a response to my query 2 days after I sent it. A no. But still a response.

DeadlyAccurate
03-17-2010, 06:42 PM
What's the reason for the deleted OP?

CaoPaux
03-17-2010, 08:33 PM
I've been notified that the agent is trying to minimize her name-print because of "stalker issues". A minor Google will find it, but we'll accede for the time being and keep it off this page (and the Index).

Roly
03-17-2010, 09:12 PM
...Woah...

Erin
03-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Oh...thanks for the headsup about the agent name. I ran across her name on another forum just the day before. I won't post it again here!

Lilly Maiden
04-01-2010, 04:52 AM
Has anyone gotten a response to their queries, positive or negative? What was the turnaround time? Or is this a no response is a no agency? Thanks!

Roly
04-01-2010, 07:07 AM
I've gotten nothing yet but I only queried mid March. Sometimes it takes a couple of months. I wouldn't worry yet, though I do hope they're not a 'no response = no' agent.

jennifer williams
04-01-2010, 07:04 PM
They're not. I sent my query 3/15 and got a rejection 3/17. Just said it wasn't for her. Maybe she's still considering yours!

Roly
04-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Do agents do that? Keep queries they're not sure on to consider them? Well, I guess it gives me hope...but then I wonder how long they'll be considering for.

Unless..it didn't go through? But that rarely happens (except with the Irene Goodman agency)

jennifer williams
04-01-2010, 07:29 PM
I don't remember where I read it but I did see an agent's blog somewhere that she often puts aside a query if she's on the fence about it and come back later to see if she still likes it.

It not going through could also be an option. Maybe just wait a little longer and requery then because this agency isn't a no response = no.

Roly
04-05-2010, 02:13 AM
Got the rejection today, like two seconds after I submitted a logline query to Jennifer Laughran's twitter contest. Probably not connected, but still. Weird.

frandavea
04-05-2010, 04:24 AM
Got a brief rejection two days after subbing a query.

iowawriter
04-05-2010, 05:40 PM
got a very nice rejection to the partial I sent her. About a 3 week turnaround on that.

JulianaHaygert
05-02-2012, 01:33 AM
bumping this to see if anyone has news about this agency ...

Krista G.
05-02-2012, 02:11 AM
bumping this to see if anyone has news about this agency ...

I noticed on Publishers Lunch this morning that they just added a new agent, Michelle Witte (shellwitte here at AW?). She was an editor at Gibbs Smith and is now looking for YA and MG fiction.

Hope that helps!

kellion92
05-02-2012, 02:39 AM
Interesting! Michelle Witte is also a writer with a fun nonfiction coming out from Running Press -- The Craptastic Guide to Pseudo-Swearing (http://www.amazon.com/Crap-tastic-Guide-Pseudo-Swearing-Michelle-Witte/dp/0762444169).

Chumplet
05-02-2012, 04:08 AM
This is good news. I absolutely adore the owner and I've always wanted to submit to this agency. Now... do they take sample pages, I wonder? Says nothing in the guidelines. Off to Agentquery I go!

ETA: No record on Agent Query. But I found more detailed guidelines on her site (http://michellewittebooks.com/agent/).

shellwitte
05-02-2012, 05:06 AM
I noticed on Publishers Lunch this morning that they just added a new agent, Michelle Witte (shellwitte here at AW?). She was an editor at Gibbs Smith and is now looking for YA and MG fiction.

Yep! That's me. :hi:

I won't snoop around too much, so feel free to say whatever you like, but I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

Mustafa
05-02-2012, 05:21 AM

I won't snoop around too much, so feel free to say whatever you like, but I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

I always feel sorry for new agents. Not because of the agent grind you're stepping into, but because your email is going to crash under the weight of the million queries you're about to get. Didn't Denise Little get something like 1600 queries A DAY when she announced? And I think that number lasted months.

Good luck, Shellwrite. Good luck.

AnyaHarker
05-02-2012, 05:53 AM

Welcome, welcome! Nice to see an agent stop by even to say hi and offer to answer questions. Wish you all the best.

Chumplet
05-02-2012, 06:06 AM

Hi, Michelle! Now that I've had a peek at your preferences, I'm not sure if you would like my contemporary YA. It might be a BIT angsty but hopefully the setting will balance it out.

I'll take the risk. :)

shellwitte
05-02-2012, 06:54 AM
I always feel sorry for new agents. Not because of the agent grind you're stepping into, but because your email is going to crash under the weight of the million queries you're about to get. Didn't Denise Little get something like 1600 queries A DAY when she announced? And I think that number lasted months.

O.O I'll count myself lucky that I only got around 50. I probably shouldn't say that. The karma gods might be watching.

AnyaHarker
05-02-2012, 07:06 AM
O.O I'll count myself lucky that I only got around 50. I probably shouldn't say that. The karma gods might be watching.

I think it's because you haven't gotten added to QueryTracker yet. With the number of people that watch it, especially for the new agent alerts, I'm sure your numbers will go up!

And here's hoping they're all amazing and wonderful pitches in those emails!! :^)

Chumplet
05-02-2012, 08:21 AM
Okay, sent. Except I sent it from my regular account instead of my writer account. Hopefully, it gets there... somehow. I haven't had much luck lately with emails getting to their destinations.

shellwitte
05-02-2012, 10:02 AM
Chumplet: I did get it, so your email cooperated at least once. ;)

FoamyRules
05-02-2012, 11:30 AM
@Shellwitte

Are there any particular genres within YA and MG that you're specifically looking for?

FalconMage
05-02-2012, 01:57 PM
@Shellwrite

Are there any particular genres within YA and MG that you're specifically looking for?

Since you're the second one I've seen do it, I'll bring it up.

Her username is "Shellwitte," using her last name. It's not "Shellwrite."

FoamyRules
05-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Since you're the second one I've seen do it, I'll bring it up.

Her username is "Shellwitte," using her last name. It's not "Shellwrite."
Yes, I am aware of that. It was late and I just got off work and was tired but couldn't go to sleep. So thank you :)

ETA: I intended on fixing that but fell asleep, so now I just did :D

AlishaS
05-03-2012, 02:27 AM
Welcome Shellwitte!

I'm sad, my last book, A Stiff Kiss would have been a perfect, fairytale re-telling, that's "obscure"

And now I see that you are weary of Paranormal Romance... I might just have to take my chances :)

AnyaHarker
05-03-2012, 02:44 AM
Sent my query off yesterday as I'm in the retelling camp. Though, my internet has been spotty lately so am now worried it didn't go through. ><

Justin_AC
05-03-2012, 02:16 PM
I just fired a query off your way. You said you would love to find West/Southwest flavored Steampunk, so I'm hoping that includes fantasy versions of Central American/Mexican culture.

Good luck with the new gig. :]

Undercover
05-03-2012, 03:20 PM
I just sent a query too. It's good to see you hear Michelle, active and responsive. Those are wonderful qualites to have. You sound lovely. Good Luck on your agenting and take care!

LMT
05-03-2012, 08:02 PM
EQ - 5/1 (MG Fantasy)
ER - 5/3
Good luck to everyone.

Mustafa
05-03-2012, 08:12 PM
I think it says anywhere from a few days to six weeks, so I'll be curious about the turn-around on the queries sent out shortly after she announced. Good luck everyone.

shellwitte
05-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Eek! Sorry I missed this earlier. I'v been at a conference all weekend. You can find specifics of what I'd like to find on my personal website under submission guidelines: http://michellewittebooks.com/agent/submission-guidelines

MorganS
05-07-2012, 01:14 AM
Sent a query along with ten pages yesterday. Ms. Witte seems fantastic. (As a fellow Utahan, she must be!)

shellwitte
05-07-2012, 05:20 AM
Ms. Witte seems fantastic. (As a fellow Utahan, she must be!)

Well of course! Utahn (writers) are the best. ;) But thank you for the compliment.

AlishaS
05-08-2012, 01:26 AM
E-query May 2, 2012
E-reject May 7, 2012

quick reply, form rejection.

She's said she was weary of paranormal, but I took a shot anyways. Not surprised at all. She's seems very nice :) And if I have something more up her alley, I'll try again later.

Chumplet
05-08-2012, 05:43 AM
I received my form rejection today, too.

Justin_AC
05-08-2012, 06:13 AM
Form reject within a few days. Disappointing, but great response time!

Undercover
05-08-2012, 05:33 PM
I queried on the 3rd and got a form rejection on the 7th (yesterday). I'd say it was somewhat disappointing about the form, but I agree, it was a very quick response.

ohthatmomagain
05-09-2012, 01:39 AM
EQ= 5/6/12
Form Rejection= 5/8/12

Very fast response time.

SheilaJG
05-09-2012, 06:37 PM
I'm so glad I found this thread, or I wouldn't have known about Michelle becoming an agent. I just wish I'd seen her book before I wrote mine, because I spent a lot of time thinking up pseudo-swear words safe for the MG set. I even started a thread in the MG section about whether or not it was okay to use "shih-tzu."

So, I queried on the 3rd, and got a full request last night. Thanks, AW!

MttStrn
05-18-2012, 01:36 AM
I queried Michelle on 5/9 with my YA Mystery. Crickets so far. I noticed a bunch who queried after have received responses. Now wondering if mine made it there at all.

Kmarshall
09-05-2012, 09:32 PM
I sent my full in early July. On Twitter, she said her slush has been very good to her, but she isn't ready to announce anything. Has anyone heard?

Wizera
06-25-2014, 04:40 AM
Queried Michelle Witte today (6/24) with an urban fantasy MG novel. Heard back in two hours with a full request. A little stunned.

I don't suppose anyone's had any recent experience they could share?

Epimetheus
07-06-2014, 09:09 PM
Queried Michelle Witte today (6/24) with an urban fantasy MG novel. Heard back in two hours with a full request. A little stunned.

The pull down bar at the top of Michelle Witte's site currently says:

"I've responded to queries through June 30 and requested manuscripts up to March 30"

So there's a 3 month backlog on requested manuscripts. It'll be a while before you hear back, but good luck! :)

Vivairi
01-18-2018, 10:10 AM
Has anyone had any recent experiences with Michelle Witte lately? Thinking about adding her to my query list.

vsrenard
05-14-2019, 09:55 PM
She liked a tweet I posted in a pitch contest. I sent her my first ten pages and a bio. Two weeks later she has asked for a full.