How much jail time and/or prison time for attempted murder of a child?

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
I have a 14 yr. old MC who's alcoholic father has verbally and physically (but not sexually) abused her her entire life. Toward the end of my novel, her dad beats the crap out of her and then tries to strangle her to death before being pulled off of her. He gets arrested and she goes in the hospital for a week with a severely broken arm and two broken ribs.

Does anyone know how much jail time her father can get for attempted murder of a child? And can he go to prison for that? If so, for how long? Would there have to be a trial, and would the MC have to testify? Or can he get sent to prison without a trial?

Any info, advice, input will be greatly appreciated. . . .

icon7.gif

ajkjd01

I just have to be faster.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.addiejking.wordpress.com
Depends on the state...you'll want to figure out which one you're in, and then you might contact your local prosecutor's office or judge's office. If they have the time, they may well sit down with you to explain...

Yes, he could go to prison for that. The question would depend on how bad the injuries, his prior record, any mandatory time attached to the charge someone might file, whether there are any specifications under that state's law that would enhance the time, etc.

You're in my state. This is my field. PM me if you want to go further, and I'll happily go through some of this with you based on your fact situation.

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the input!

In this novel, I never say what state the story takes place in, just because where it takes place isn't important to the story at all.

I guess I don't really need to know a specific amount of time he'd be in prison. It's enough for the resolution that I just say he'll be in prison for a long time . . . but I wanted to check to make sure that was even feasible before I wrote that. . . .

Whether it would have to go to trial or not and the MC would have to testify or not were things I was just curious about too, but don't necessarily need to put that in the story....

Hopefully that makes some kind of sense. lol!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Is the MC prepared to testify against him?

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In this novel, I never say what state the story takes place in, just because where it takes place isn't important to the story at all.

I guess I don't really need to know a specific amount of time he'd be in prison. It's enough for the resolution that I just say he'll be in prison for a long time . . . but I wanted to check to make sure that was even feasible before I wrote that. . . .

Whether it would have to go to trial or not and the MC would have to testify or not were things I was just curious about too, but don't necessarily need to put that in the story....

Hopefully that makes some kind of sense. lol!

He'd be charged criminally, and there would be at least some hearings in court. Whether the vicitm would need to appear or testify varies, depending on the circumstances.

If they came to a plea agreement with him, where he agreed to plead guilty or no contest to the charges for a reduced sentence, then the vicitim wouldn't have to testify. But if he fought the charges, the it is likely she would have to testify.

If he agreed to a plea agreement, depending on location, it could be agreed on and entered by the court in a matter of months (I'd guess 6 minimum, but perhaps someone else with more recent/specific info can advise).

But if he fought it, he likely wouldn't go to trial for more than 6 months later, sometimes the trial doesn't start for more than a yer.

You really need to do some specific research on the specific plot you decide on to make sure it works.

And for ease of computing all this, it might help you to pick a place where it is set, just for in your head. And remember than could be a large impact on timing and outcome depending on whether this happened in a large city or a small town or somewhere in between.

So, either post more specifics or start doing some state specific research.

~suki

ajkjd01

Registered
Reaction score
Website
six months is a good estimate for resolution.

With the kind of injuries you're talking about, you're probably talking aout felonies. If the guy has priors for child endangerment, penalties go up; the same for domestic violence. And that's leaving aside the potential attempted murder charge. And it would also be different if it was just physical abuse as opposed to sexual abuse.

Seriously, though, this is exactly my field, Dana-Lynn, and I live about a half hour drive from you. If you wanted to talk specifics let me know...can give you Ohio specific advice on some of this.

And suki's right...big city might take longer than small town...or be quicker because they've found a streamlined way to do it....I've worked both a mid-sized city and a small town in this field in Ohio. And I'm happy to talk about such things...

And I can also tell you how I go about prepping child witnesses for such things.

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
But if he fought it, he likely wouldn't go to trial for more than 6 months later, sometimes the trial doesn't start for more than a year.

Would he be in jail the entire time until the trial? They wouldn't let him out until then, would they?

ajkjd01

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Depends on various issues...including his financial situation.

Generally there would be a bond set. I'd assume it would be fairly high, given your fact pattern, but if he went to a bail bondsman, he'd only have to post ten percent, or whatever their terms are.

For example, if the judge set a $100,000 cash or surety bond, and he called a bail bondsman, he might have to post $10,000 with the bail bondsman. If he's got those kinds of resources, he might well be released.

On the other hand, it would be a high bond, so absent decent resources or family members with solid financial resources, he would probably stay in jail the entire time until trial.

There is however, a caveat, that might be worth exploiting in your book....if the judge also puts on orders requiring no contact with your victim, and he violates it, the judge could declare his bond revoked and place him in custody for the rest of the time remaining on the case until trial or resolution with no bond.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seriously, though, this is exactly my field, Dana-Lynn, and I live about a half hour drive from you. If you wanted to talk specifics let me know...can give you Ohio specific advice on some of this.

And suki's right...big city might take longer than small town...or be quicker because they've found a streamlined way to do it....I've worked both a mid-sized city and a small town in this field in Ohio. And I'm happy to talk about such things...

And I can also tell you how I go about prepping child witnesses for such things.

Would he be in jail the entire time until the trial? They wouldn't let him out until then, would they?

Dana-Lynn,

You have a local expert here offering to answer your specific questions. So...I'm going to encourage you to contact ajkjd01 - PM would probably be the best - and have a dialogue.

Experts willing to answer specific questions are a gift.

Go PM ajkjd01 :)

~suki

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to supplement Suki's answers a bit.

You need to decide on his criminal history. That's going to be a big factor in all of this. Also a big question is going to be whether there is any publicity.

He'd be charged criminally, and there would be at least some hearings in court. Whether the vicitm would need to appear or testify varies, depending on the circumstances.

Initially he's going to be arrested and held until at least the next morning. Any possibility she might die and he's not going to get bail. I can't imagine bail of less than $50k and probably in excess of $100k. For some of the court hearings, depending upon the jurisdiction, he would do the hearing by video while in jail. Although the victim could testify at any hearing, the only one where she'd really be needed is the trial.

If they came to a plea agreement with him, where he agreed to plead guilty or no contest to the charges for a reduced sentence, then the vicitim wouldn't have to testify. But if he fought the charges, the it is likely she would have to testify.

This has some serious variety. If she refused to testify, in some jurisdictions they'd drop the case. In others, they'd compel her. And in others, it is no longer necessary (although better for the prosecutor). A plea bargain would not require her testimony, and can be a reason for the plea.

If he agreed to a plea agreement, depending on location, it could be agreed on and entered by the court in a matter of months (I'd guess 6 minimum, but perhaps someone else with more recent/specific info can advise).

Record matters here, but I'd be celebrating if I could get someone 6 months on this these days. Hell, I'd be happy with a year. Drunks are hard to find people to say nice things about them, usually not even their mother.

But if he fought it, he likely wouldn't go to trial for more than 6 months later, sometimes the trial doesn't start for more than a yer.

This is the type of case where if you can stall it, you do. Most defense attorneys believe in the old wine defense. No case should be tried before its time. My record was over five years.

Prosecutor, on the other hand, wants this in court as soon as possible if there is any press coverage.

One advantage of waiting is that the longer it goes on, the more likely the defendant is going to plea.

You really need to do some specific research on the specific plot you decide on to make sure it works.

And for ease of computing all this, it might help you to pick a place where it is set, just for in your head. And remember than could be a large impact on timing and outcome depending on whether this happened in a large city or a small town or somewhere in between.

So, either post more specifics or start doing some state specific research.

~suki

Regarding bail, from my prospective it won't be a big issue. He's going to do some time, so he might as well get credit for pre-trial confinement. But local can matter. Some jails suck worse than prison, other jails are much better.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Last edited:

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on various issues...including his financial situation.

Generally there would be a bond set. I'd assume it would be fairly high, given your fact pattern, but if he went to a bail bondsman, he'd only have to post ten percent, or whatever their terms are.

For example, if the judge set a $100,000 cash or surety bond, and he called a bail bondsman, he might have to post $10,000 with the bail bondsman. If he's got those kinds of resources, he might well be released.

On the other hand, it would be a high bond, so absent decent resources or family members with solid financial resources, he would probably stay in jail the entire time until trial.

There is however, a caveat, that might be worth exploiting in your book....if the judge also puts on orders requiring no contact with your victim, and he violates it, the judge could declare his bond revoked and place him in custody for the rest of the time remaining on the case until trial or resolution with no bond.

Thank you so much! That's exactly what I needed to know.

:e2flowers

Regarding his finances, he lost his job and he's pretty much broke, and no family members would lend him any money.

I'll PM you.
icon7.gif