Agency request two week exclusive etiquettes

Debeucci

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wesleychu.com
Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before. I've been a long time reader but this is my first post.

I recently began submitting my manuscript to prospective agents. My very first submission to Ethan Ellenberg was very positive and he asked for a two week exclusive.

I gladly gave it to him since I consider him an outstanding agent.

My question is, the two weeks is about up and I'd like to know the proper etiquette with what I should do next. I know agents hate to be pestered. Do I send a follow up email after the two weeks or give a call to his agency? Should I just be a good little hopeful writer and just wait it out? When it comes to an exclusive request, how do I approach this?

Thanks!

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
With my agent, I approached it by saying something like, "Per our agreement, the exclusive read expired on [date.] I am going to begin querying other agents again, but I am very much looking forward to hearing from you, and hope to work with you!" I don't remember the exact words, but I let her know I was going to keep querying, but also that I was enthusiastic about the possibility of working with her specifically. :)

You really can't go wrong with being professional and polite. Ever. Remember that authors who grant exclusive reads are doing the agents a favor -- the ball is in your court. You want to be polite and act like a pro, but you don't have to feel intimidated about letting them know you're ready to resume querying, either.

Debeucci

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wesleychu.com
Thanks for the reply! Should this message be written in an email or can I call them directly? Most agent's submission emails are loaded with hundreds of queries daily. I'd like to talk to a human being if possible but don't want to be pestersome. Mr. Ellenberg is on my A list of agents and I would like to give him more time if he requires.

ether

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kelley-york.com
Thanks for the reply! Should this message be written in an email or can I call them directly? Most agent's submission emails are loaded with hundreds of queries daily. I'd like to talk to a human being if possible but don't want to be pestersome. Mr. Ellenberg is on my A list of agents and I would like to give him more time if he requires.

Eeeeemail. Email, email. Not only would I think (I could be wrong!) that it'd be difficult to get someone on the phone - much less someone you wanted to speak to - but I haven't heard of agents preferring calls over email. I'd just drop him a note stating something similar to what was suggested above.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Don't call!

Libbie's message sounds perfect. When an agent wants to read your book, they aren't doing you a favor. But when you give them an exclusive, you are doing them one.

Trust in your work enough to know if one agent is interested, another probably will be, too, and keep querying once the exclusive is up. The simple fact is, while Mr. Ellenberg may be your A-list #1 choice, he may not feel the same. If you get an offer before he gets back to you, contact him and let him know before you make a decision.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I suggest you follow the form given you by Libbie, and --- email only (I would do so the day after the two weeks are up).

lee lee

Registered
Reaction score
Waiting it out

And then what---

I'm in this situation. No response to my nudge on an exclusive---and it has been awhile.

I think this is probably a good thing. They still want it, they just don't know when they are going to get to it---and it's an excellent agency.

After reading the Lori Perkins debacle (You can read it on that thread around the date of this post and, believe me, it's worth reading), I've come to the conclusion to just be a good little writer and wait it out. If someone else comes along and wants to read it, I'll send it out.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
With respect I totally disagree with lee lee. When a writer gives an agent the exclusive requested, it comes with a deadline (or should), as was done by Debeucci and lee lee. Agents deal with this every day and know just how much time they have. If they need more they will request it from the writer. If the writer doesn't hear from the agent by deadline day or receive a request by the agent to extend the deadline or receives no answer to "nudges" sent, I don't see how anyone can take it as "....probably a good thing. They still want it, they just don't know when they are going to get to it---and it's an excellent agency." Don't you think if the agent was interested s/he would have contacted you and explained the delay? Even if the manuscript was misplaced don't you think the agent would have responded to your nudges re the exclusive you gave? Excellent agency or not.

Look, I certainly wish you well, but if it were me I'd send an email and say that by weeks they should consider the exclusive void (not manuscript withdrawn). But each of you should do what you believe you have to do.

lee lee

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Scope, honestly I don't know what to do. I've just nudged once. I have been given advice all over the board from an agent who is a personal friend, from a former big-time agent, from a best selling author who is a friend---none of them say the same thing. One said to call, one said to wait two more weeks, one said the nudge probably caused the agent to pull it out of the pile and start reading. Everyone thinks the fact I haven't been rejected is a good thing---but maybe not. Anyway, I'm going to "live into" whatever I do. Thanks for your thoughts. :)

BTW, if you read the Lori Perkins thread, there the writer was told by the agent that it would be a lot less than the 7 months he waited and she did not respond to him after several nudges. He took matters in his own hands and went to her boss, and that resulted in Lori blogging about it and the writer pulling his MS. Worth reading. I know I don't want to tick anyone off---I'm sure of that.

Last edited:

agentpaper

One of many
Registered
Reaction score
Lee lee and Debeucci:You should definitely nudge--by email. What Libby said sounds perfect. If an agent is going to get mad about nudging(especially after you granted an exclusive) they're probably not the agent for you. I did read the L. Perkins thread, and the blog post. IMHO, that wasn't the most professional way to handle that situation. I'm not sure if I would have pulled my MS, but I would have seriously considered it. Then again, I wouldn't have contacted the boss either. I would have considered the MS a reject and moved on. I wish the both of you luck on your agent hunt.