Waiting on a Full

LordDelusions

folly is such fun
Registered
Reaction score
If an agent asks for the complete manuscript, how long should you wait until you follow up with the agent and ask for her status update?
An agent has my friend's manuscript for about a month now, and we're wondering if it would rude to send a status update email...

your thoughts?

Brukaviador

Registered
Reaction score
If she didn't give you a time frame within which she would try to get back to you, I'd wait another month. If she did give a time frame, I'd wait a month longer than what she specified. That's just me though, I'm a patient guy and would rather err on the side of caution than make an annoyance of myself.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If the agent didn't give you ( or your friend) any specific guidelines, check the agent out in Beware and Background checks or on Agent Query or Query Tracker to see what her stats are - ie, what are the statistics and other people saying is her response time, then add a month to that.

if you can't find anything, wait at least 3 months - many agents can take 6 months or more on a full, so I wouldn't nudge before 3 months, minimum, unless the writer has a reason to nudge - like an offer from another agent.

~suki

Danthia

If they don't have response times on their website, three - six months is average for a full. A nudge after a month is a little quick. Heck, my agent can take longer than a month to get back to me and I'm already her client! (grin)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
What they said.
Allow 3 months at least

CheyElizabeth

My horn can pierce the sky!
Registered
Reaction score
Wow.. six months on a full? That makes me feel better about the 4 months I've been waiting on a full.. I had already decided it was going to be a rejection.

Danthia

Wow.. six months on a full? That makes me feel better about the 4 months I've been waiting on a full.. I had already decided it was going to be a rejection.

It can take longer as well. Agents try to get them turned around fast, but if they get hit with manuscripts from four of their clients in the same week (which happens) they read those first.

Time spent waiting isn't indicative of whether or not they like the book. It's usually just indicative of how busy the agent is :)

MarloweCanning

Registered
Reaction score
I've been waiting two months now on a full and I know the temptation to send out a status query is at times almost overwhelming. I posted a similar thread a while back and the consensus is that you just have to grin and bear it. I hate the waiting game but it seems like it's all part and parcel of it.
Hope you get some good news back soon. :)