Getting a hold of hard-to-reach leads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caroline

Registered
Reaction score
At various networking events in my area, I've met a couple business people who I think would be great to pitch my copywriting services to. Problem is, I can't seem to reach them!

So, what do you do if you've met someone who seems like a great lead, but are unable to get them on the phone to follow up and give them your pitch (for example, they're always in meetings, and they haven't responded to e-mail)? How many voice mail messages can you leave before you've crossed the line from persistent into obnoxious? Is there a certain point where you should just give up? There are several people I've been trying unsuccessfully to contact for weeks, and I'm not quite sure how to proceed from here.

Thanks!

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
At this point I would say that they're ignoring you and hoping you'll go away. My general pattern is to email, call about a week later to confirm the email was received and to try to chat in person, call a couple of weeks later to try again, and send one last email letting them know how to get ahold of me (and hopefully why they would want to). Other than that, not much you can do that doesn't start to sound like stalking.

Whatever you do, please do NOT start pulling "tricks" to try to get them on the phone. Don't tell their secretary they're expecting your call, don't say "this is Steve" when they ask who you are as if you're important, and never, ever lie and say you are family or a close friend or something. As a former receptionist (and acting receptionist for myself) I can tell you that they won't believe you, and they probably won't even pass your messages on anymore.

Caroline

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, WildScribe! I feel better now that you've given me a general idea of what constitutes an effective, polite follow-up, since I really haven't been sure how long to try getting in touch with someone before letting it go. I think I'll do as you recommended, and send off one final e-mail next week, and then move on.

Whatever you do, please do NOT start pulling "tricks" to try to get them on the phone. Don't tell their secretary they're expecting your call, don't say "this is Steve" when they ask who you are as if you're important, and never, ever lie and say you are family or a close friend or something. As a former receptionist (and acting receptionist for myself) I can tell you that they won't believe you, and they probably won't even pass your messages on anymore.

Yikes! People are really that sneaky? I wouldn't want to pass on their messages, either!

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
At various networking events in my area, I've met a couple business people who I think would be great to pitch my copywriting services to.

Did they indicate any interest at that event? Express a need for a copywriter?

So, what do you do if you've met someone who seems like a great lead, but are unable to get them on the phone to follow up and give them your pitch (for example, they're always in meetings, and they haven't responded to e-mail)?

Send mail - old-fashioned paper-based communication - with a brochure or portfolio samples, a CV, and a cover letter. Tell them you met at ___ and they had expressed an interest in copywriting services, so here's some stuff to read at their convenience.

Caroline

Registered
Reaction score
No, they didn't express a specific need for a copywriter, but I from looking at their Web sites and other materials, I thought I'd be a good fit for what they do.

What sort of follow-up do you do after sending out the mailer?

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
You have already called several times, left voice mails, e-mailed a few times, and are getting stonewalled or ignored. That's a clue that they don't want to discuss your copywriting services, or that you are not contacting the right person. At this point, you may have tried too hard and permanently damaged your name with those companies.

If someone I meet at a business event does not express a need for a technical writer I'm not shy about handing over my card and saying "If you ever need a writer, call me. If I'm not available, I can find out who is". But I leave the ball in their court, which probably gets me a few jobs and loses me a few jobs.

Caroline

Registered
Reaction score
Tsu, thanks for your input. You've just confirmed what I suspected already--that in my eagerness to help these people improve their written materials, I got a little overzealous and probably closed off any potential for ever working with them. Fortunately I've only done this to 2-3 people so far, so it's not the end of the world.

I'm in the habit of handing my card to as many people as I can at business events. Even if they haven't expressed a need for a writer, I like to know whether I can be of help to them by giving them referrals for their business. Doing this, without trying to sell them my services, has led to some very nice relationships where the person has eventually given me referrals later on down the road.

Leaving the ball in their court is good, to a certain extent. You don't want to be overly zealous (which has been my mistake), but on the other hand, I try not to just sit back and wait for people to express a need. I always make a point of following up with EVERY person I meet at business events to thank them for talking with me. On several occasions, someone has responded to my follow-up e-mail or call by saying "Oh yeah, I remember you. In fact, I think I could use a writer."

Status
Not open for further replies.