Gifts for teachers

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. Working on a pitch for an article about ways to thank a teacher at the end of the school year. I have a few ideas, but wanted some more. Take note that I'd like to use some of your ideas as quotes in the pitch. If you just want to offer ideas, please add them here. If you'd like to be quoted, please pm me. Thanks everyone. You'll be helping me along with my goal to be published in a regional parenting magazine this year. :)

~*Kate*~

brings the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katehart.net
Candy, baked goods, candles and bath goodies were the most common gifts I received as a teacher. All were appreciated, but my favorites were: Gift cards, Christmas ornaments, something handmade by the student, pictures from the year, books or music for the classroom, or something personalized-- one mom made us all aprons w/ our names on them, another made us personalized blankets, and one mom gave me a gift card to REI b/c she knew I was outdoorsy.

Hope that helps!

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Gift cards to places like Starbucks or Amazon are very very good. As a preschool teacher the potted plants and cards and candies were all sweet, but I lived in an apartment with nowhere to keep a plant and no good windows, so the plants all died, and I don't really eat candy. :)

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning on making some things for my sons' teachers and paras and speech therapist. (I've got a ton of work to do, and I've barely started!) Since I knit, what I'm doing is making various things. A small shawl, a market bag, some scarves, a set of felted coasters or coffee mug cozies, a hat -- stuff like that.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Nice, Cranky! I knit and crochet, but I hadn't really thought of giving teachers gifts like that. Of course, I've got a few years yet before I have a kid in school.

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
For a particularly good teacher my kids both had my wife picked up a blank hardcover book (I don't know the name of the company that produced them) from Barnes & Noble, I think, and had the kids write and illustrate stories for her about their time in her class. This was 3rd-4th grade.

I thought that was pretty kewl. :)

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
i am a teacher--high school spanish and english. my best gifts are pens, pencils, paper, erasers, markers, notebooks, notecards--the cool stuff in the wild colors. always some kid without a pen or paper, so i keep extra supplies in my desk for them and this helps me out.

mexican recipes on handwritten cards was another great gift. coasters and simple games we can play in class. popcorn. my senior boys once burned a cd of all my favorite music. i loved it. i asked them how they knew my music. they said they just went to classic rock and downloaded anything that sounded like me.

my husband was an elementary teacher. don't buy aftershave for male teachers. thanks for caring--s6

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
When I taught, my favorite presents were handmade by my students or gift certificates. The best was a gift certificate for a spa treatment.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
A loooong time ago I invited my whole class home for tea. Each pupil gave me a one pound (weight, not money) box of chocolates. There were 25 girls in the class. One Christmas the same class gave me a gold chain. When they left school they gave me a clock and matching candlesticks. Sounds nice - but, well, they were pretty hideous!

Worst ever was a 'glass' rose that changes colour when turned on - from a disgusting pink to a bilious blue. Trust me - you really do not want to know about the other colours!

The sweetest and cutest was a teddy bear when a class found I collected them. He is small and very cute and seems to have escaped from the study where he lived. The bear was my favourite. The chain second.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love hearing what my teacher friends get from their students... some of the items are a real riot. But she would agree with shadysix, I believe.

charlotte49ers

let it snow
Registered
Reaction score
I got two baskets at the end of the year that I LOVED! One was a spa basket with lotions and bath salts, stuff for pedicures, etc. It was great.

I also got a movie basket with $25 gift cards to our local theater, popcorn, candy, and cokes in it. Loved it!

I got a razor and deodorant for Valentine's Day this year (among other miscellaneous toiletries). That was...interesting. I guess he was trying to tell me something? :D

Truthfully, though, I love anything my students get me, especially when they bring it to me with that goofy, glowy grin they tend to wear. I scream and ooh and ahh over whatever it is. :)

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
I found that the following gift works well for anyone who is either leaving (a teacher retiring or changing school) or being left (the kids are moving on or graduating;

i give a award plaque or trophy, personalized. Not one of those $5 world's best teacher things, but personalized with a name and something from the heart. I suggested this to our theatre group for our theater director and also for a boss who was being kicked upstairs. They both later told me that it was one of the best things they ever got because it was genuine.

People don't get recognized very often and this lets them know that they were important to yo and the class.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
the worst was a cookie jar in the shape of a hideous grinning squirrel. i keep it because i really liked the kid but sometimes i catch a glimpse of it at the back of a closet and i shudder all over again--s6

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm. Perhaps I should rethink my plans. *takes notes*

PGK

They put those words in my head!
Registered
Reaction score
My personal favorites were the cultural gifts by my Chinese students. I got a box of 30 chopsticks from one, and three sets of high quality chopsticks (the kind reserved for your special guests) from others. I've also been given a set of Olympic gold coins from when they hosted them last (set in a beautiful suede box they make great decoration for my office). My wife enjoyed the silk scarf, my daughter is still enjoying the mini-purse (with intricate Chinese designs) and I used to enjoy the various other ornaments until I had more than I could fit in either work office or home office.

Oh and the little Jade Buddha was a very nice gift too.

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Wow!!!! These are amazing ideas everyone. Thanks so much. Would any of you care to be quoted? If not I'll keep it to an informal poll. Thanks again. lol You guys rock!

LynneKBM

Registered
Reaction score
Hands down, my favorite gift is a parent email thanking me for what I've done throughout the school year for his/her child. These are especially nice if they mention specifics regarding what I've done to make this a good year for the child...and also if they are CC'd to my principal.

Worst gift? Chocolates. Not because I don't love them. (I do!) But because I don't need them.

My second favorite gift is a book store gift card. But the email is actually much more appreciated.

Last edited:

Summonere

Registered
Reaction score
When I was college professoring, the gifts arrived at mid-term, which is usually when students discovered great personal interest in their grades, so I'm not sure if the things received were gifts or bribes...

In any event, aside from numerous pen and pencil sets, a few cards, a few gift cards (Barnes & Noble, Barnes & Noble, always Barnes & Noble), plus books and notes and invitations to this's-and-thats's' and assorted edibles, the one that stands out the most was a gift of fresh, homemade egg rolls provided by a Vietnamese student. Man, those things were good. See, I normally dislike egg rolls, or at least the ones commonly served in the Chinese restaurants around here, which seem to be mostly cabbage and a fried, doughy shell. But what made the homemade ones stand out was a distinct lack of fried greasiness, bright crunchy orange carrot bits inside, tasty meat and spice and who-know-what-else-was-in-there that made them yummy. Oh, and they were hand-delivered, as the student said, fresh from her mother's kitchen (still steaming, they were).

One other gift that stood out was a working marker for the dry-erase boards we used at the college, and for which there perpetually proved a discouraging disparity between working markers (few, and rarely in any of the rooms in which I taught), and non-working ones (which seemed to proliferate like rabbits).

PGK

They put those words in my head!
Registered
Reaction score
Ah yes, the overused dry/erase markers. I've yet to visit a campus with those readily available in the classroom. Same goes for the overused eraser which only paints the board with a heavy hue of the color you finally managed to find a working marker in.

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all so much! You guys rock. :)

Summonere

Registered
Reaction score
Ah yes, the overused dry/erase markers. I've yet to visit a campus with those readily available in the classroom. Same goes for the overused eraser which only paints the board with a heavy hue of the color you finally managed to find a working marker in.

I eventually learned that if I wanted a dry-erase marker that worked, I had to hunt one down in another classroom. (Kind of like the Audio/Visual equipment that the AV guys always, ALWAYS (!), assured me would work when delivered to the classroom, yet never, NEVER (!) did.)

ajkjd01

I just have to be faster.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.addiejking.wordpress.com
My mother's been a public school teacher for 30 years and my former roommate is an inner city public school teacher...

Having helped them move the boxes and boxes of cute gifts that their students have given them that they cannot bear to give away but really have no use for, (and I'm really not trying to be snarky here. They just do get a lot of stuff like that.), I've determined that any teachers my future kids get will get gift certificates to Office Depot, Staples, the Dollar Store, WalMart, KMart, and/or Meijers. They spend soooo much money out of their own pockets for their classrooms especially now with school budgets being slashed to the bone, that a little help for that would be really thoughtful.

*I once gave my former roomie (the teacher) twenty boxes of cheap pencils and a few packets of cheap notebooks for her birthday for use in her classroom. She has many students who can't afford basic school supplies, and always keeps a supply around. She was thrilled.