PDA

View Full Version : Arkham Asylum...Did I just screw myself over?

kaitie
03-10-2010, 04:23 AM
Alrighty, so I've been playing off and on for a couple of weeks now, and I really wanted to get all the Riddler's puzzles figured out/trophies found. Mostly because I want to see what he does when you do (don't tell me please). I figure he won't take well to it, and I love his little taunting comments throughout the game lol.

Well, I'd been doing pretty well about this, but there were a couple of buildings that I hadn't found all of them yet because I didn't have the right tools available to do it. I've since gotten a couple of tools, but thought I'd probably have to go back through the same areas later, and there were still some I can't get to so I thought I'd wait until I had the other tools needed (I'm guessing I need anyway) and get them all at once before the game ended.

Well, then Poison Ivy showed up and did her whole plantifying the whole place, and now I'm wondering if I'm still going to be able to get anything I might have missed, or if I'm just screwed now. Because of how the game auto-saves, the pre-Ivy game got saved over so I can't just go back to the point before that like I normally would and check this to make sure, so I'm pretty sure if I messed up I'm going to have to play everything through again up to this point. I'd probably be faster at it this time, but I'm also a little worried I'd miss things I found the first time around. I was aiming to do this whole thing without a walk-through.

Any advice? Do you think I'm going to have to start over from the beginning? I have no way of knowing how close I was to having everything up to that point at all. I usually search through everything I can, and for at least most of the places I've got maps for I tried to make sure I got all the ones I had the opportunity for, but I'm certain I've missed some of the trophies, and I know there were a few riddles I hadn't sorted out yet as well.

Zoombie
03-10-2010, 04:43 AM
The plants go away after you defeat Ivy. After defeating Ivy, fireworks will start going off over a building you could never visit before. Don't go in there, or else you'll end the game.

kaitie
03-10-2010, 05:25 AM
Yaaay! This makes me happy. Note to self: Don't go into fireworky building! Watch me do that on accident lol. ;) When I've got like just a couple more things left to do haha. Anyway, I'll try to take note of it and not do anything stupid. I'm glad they go away again, though. I know a lot of games change the setting halfway through and it becomes irreversible, so if you didn't accomplish something before you're just out of luck. I'm glad this one isn't like that. :)

Zoombie
03-10-2010, 05:46 AM
It'll be really really obvious, don't worry.

whistlelock
03-10-2010, 05:59 AM
Don't forget you can only see some of the riddler stuff with the detective vision.

The ones in the sewers are the worst.

efkelley
03-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Yeah, make heavy use of the Riddler maps. I managed to find all the riddles without needing the internet, but a couple of them cost me ten frustrating minutes each that I'll never get back. :D Still, very much worth doing the whole thing.

kaitie
03-10-2010, 02:39 PM
For the most part they've been pretty easy so far, but there have been a couple I haven't gotten, especially in the area I just went through (aviary?). The big sewer room where I can't use the grappling hook is the most worrisome for me because I'm just sure there's going to be some path to take that I won't get to in there, but I'll worry about it later. For now if I can't figure it out relatively quickly I just move on, but I've got all but maybe three or four I think.

I play almost exclusively in detective mode, so that's not a problem. I only switch out when I'm fighting someone. The only things I haven't figured out yet in general are the partial solution ones. You know, the parts where you'll have the top half of a question mark without the dot? I'm sure I'll work that out before too long, though.

Thanks for the advice, guys. :)

kaitie
03-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Nevermind on that last one. I just figured it out. ;) Helps to be standing in the right place haha.

DeleyanLee
03-10-2010, 05:34 PM
It's always helpful to be standing in the right place. ;)

kaitie
03-13-2010, 05:51 PM
And no, it's not talk like a pirate day. I've defeated Ivy and am now working on retrieving all of the Riddler clues/puzzles. I went back into the gardens, and there are something like six clues in the Abandoned Chamber. I've found two, pulled down a wall (pretty sure there's a chronicle up there), can SEE another trophy, and I've discovered a partial solution to the riddle for the room. Goodness knows where the other riddle is (though I suspect I know). But anyway...I can't figure out how to get to any of them and it's driving me crazy!

I can't grapple up. I have one section that I can jump across on some ledges, crawl across a section of wall, and then up to where some water is pouring through. As far as I can tell, though, that only gets me access to this one other ledge opposite me, and that doesn't do a darn thing. This is going to drive me nuts and I'm bound and determined to figure this out.

I really don't want to look up specifics on this, but does anyone have any helpful hints that might at least point me in the right direction? I know there's got to be a place I can climb, I just can't for the life of me find it.

MWAHAHAHA!!!! Took a freaking hour or something of running around this darn place but I finally got it. I was missing the cutable rope. Anyway uh...nevermind. :D

Updated to say: I've figured out a rope to cut and can now cross a set of grates to get to two more platforms. Still stumped ridiculously beyond that.

efkelley
03-14-2010, 02:18 AM
There are a few places where you can shimmy along a ledge. The ledges are just barely big enough for a handhold. I can think of two locations off the top of my head that will lead you to one or more riddles.

If all else fails, you can always goggle 'batman arkham riddles guide' and take your pick. However, once you've found the maps, you're 90% there, and the Riddler kind of leaves them just lying around (for a reason!)

The hardest part for me, believe it or not, was finding all the teeth. Especially in the mansion. Ugh.

kaitie
03-14-2010, 10:30 AM
The one that was getting me was the rope I had to cut to lower another section. I just wasn't seeing it. I actually think I figured that out by using the zip line from JUST the right position, then crawling up the little path the backwards way, and then when I was right there up close I could see the rope and it was like "oooh....duh." ;) I had found the shimmy ledge so I knew that had to go somewhere important!

I've done pretty well about finding everything so far. I'm now going back and clearing out the building's one by one. I really don't want to go look up the answers though if I don't have to. :) I like seeing if I can do it on my own. Oddly I think the most frustrating one so far was the Alice tea set one. No idea why, but I must have just walked past that about fifty times searching for it haha.

I have the sound turned up enough that I can listen for the teeth and don't have to watch for them. I'm actually back in the mansion now, so we'll see if I get them all. :)

You know what's funny? I just discovered the zoom function. 73% through the game, and I just realized I could zoom my camera in on things. Do you know how many of those riddles I spent ten or fifteen minutes working to get the camera angle just right so it would accept the solution lol? Definitely feeling kinda dumb now. ;)

Ruv Draba
03-14-2010, 01:36 PM
Sounds like you're enjoying yourself, Kaitie. I liked the game too.

kaitie
03-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Haha, a bit. Now that I'm trying to figure out the parts that I didn't figure out the first time it's a bit more frustrating. Most of them were easy and just things I couldn't get to, but some just totally stump me. Trying to find a trophy in an elevator shaft at the moment. :tongue

It's a great game, though! I've been really amazed. It reminds me a lot of Soul Reaver. I think the most awesome thing to me is (aside from the voices) the fact that they manage to mix up the game play so well. You get the strategy worked out for one fight, then the next time they throw something else into the mix that you have to get around. I love not being able to use the same thing twice. Really incredibly well-designed game. :)

Opty
03-19-2010, 08:22 AM
You can continue playing after you defeat the game and go back and get the Riddler puzzles you didn't get during the actual gameplay.

Dommo
03-19-2010, 09:27 AM
I enjoyed arkham asylum a lot. The only thing I kinda thought was lacking a bit was actually the combat in the game. I thought the atmosphere and the exploratory nature of the game was what actually made it more interesting.