PDA

View Full Version : For the first time in months, I can see my kid!!

jennontheisland
03-09-2010, 06:42 AM
There was a message from my ex-MIL waiting when I got home from school today. She had The Boy and did I want him?

Hell yeah!

We're home, we made cheesey fries with bacon for dinner, and he's playing with my toy viking sword.

And I'm totally panicking. I've got two term tests later this week, and two next week. And it's not spring break here so there are no day programs at all. And: two of my tests are in the evening so day programs wouldn't help anyway.

I'm a little worried about one of my tests: when I told the prof her scheduled test time overlapped with a lab in another class her response was pretty much "too bad, you don't show, you don't write." WTF?? Holy uncooperative bitch. It's not my fault you scheduled your test when I have a lab. I'm pretty sure I can get at least two of my other tests deferred (already managed one), but this one... No study time, an overlapping schedule, and no one to watch The Boy during it. I may end up having to withdraw from the class if I can't get something sorted out.

But.

I have The Boy!!

(oh, and I have to buy a return plane ticket for him and his grandmother so they can get back to the island in 2 weeks. ouch)

Medievalist
03-09-2010, 06:54 AM
<i>I'm a little worried about one of my tests: when I told the prof her scheduled test time overlapped with a lab in another class her response was pretty much "too bad, you don't show, you don't write." </i>

I suspect that she's out of line; check the regs for your school on exam-taking, and consider approaching the professor for the class with the lab and asking for assistance.

Gretad08
03-09-2010, 06:55 AM
That's awesome even despite the school problems...you'll figure it out and forget about the PITA your prof. was. It's so great that you get to hang out with him. BTW, what did you end up sending him?

NeuroFizz
03-09-2010, 06:56 AM
The department chair is the next person to contact if you can't get a resolution from the instructor.

Good luck and enjoy your time with your boy.

jennontheisland
03-09-2010, 07:59 AM
Yeah, Medi, I agree that she's out of line. The lab technically ends right when the test starts but it's a senior soils lab, always runs over time and the one coming up, they said it's going to be a long one... I did refer her to that prof, and warned him about the contact.

Hers is a first year math, and she berated us for not being motivated enough after the average for the first term test was an F (43%). I think she's used to dealing with 18 year old kids who spend their weekends drinking beer and playing ultimate frisbee (or whatever it is 18 year olds do). I dont' think she realizes my age or situation.

I've got an appointment with her tomorrow (to which I have no choice but to bring The Boy).

I've also already deferred one exam. But I had that prof last semester while shit was still fanward, so he was immediately understanding and accommodating. But if the algebra prof isn't, I'll definitely be going up a rung.

He's trying to fall asleep in my bed... but I live in a one room apartment, and I need the lights on for homework. If I ever manage to focus on it. Holy stress.

poetinahat
03-09-2010, 08:03 AM

YAY!

the average for the first term test was an F (43%)

"It can't be me, so it must be all of you!" I bet she'd go well in SYW. :D

YAY!

jennontheisland
03-09-2010, 08:52 AM
"It can't be me, so it must be all of you!" I bet she'd go well in SYW. :D

LOL. Part of the reason I don't want to drop the class is because then I won't be able to fill out the course and instructor evaluation.

FTR, I was above average on that one. 50%. Lowest mark I've ever gotten. Even lower than calculus. Ouch.

writerterri
03-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Nothing beats a smooch from your kid.