PDA

View Full Version : Oh God, I'm doing a book launch and reading

Saskatoonistan
03-09-2010, 01:16 AM
And my protagonist is female but I am a guy. First line in book: "My boyfriend drives a dump truck."

So I guess I shouldn't read in falsetto...

Tepelus
03-09-2010, 01:20 AM
:D

Crinklish
03-09-2010, 01:36 AM
I think it would be charming if you opened your reading by talking about how this female character came to you, and then told the audience, "But I'll spare you an entire reading in falsetto." Calling attention to it would a) make you seem funny and b) eliminate the distraction of the gender role stuff.

Sevvy
03-09-2010, 02:23 AM
I doubt anyone is expecting you to read in falsetto. Plenty of men have written female characters for it not to be that surprising.

PoppysInARow
03-09-2010, 06:29 AM
I wouldn't read in a falsetto. I doubt that will sell many copies.

If this is a launch, yeah, go ahead and talk about your book to start, as well as your main character. Surprisigly, people like to hear authors talk, because to some of them he idea of being an author is so forein and strange-- to them it's like running away to join the circus. Or maybe that's just the people I talk to.

So talk first, and don't worry about gender or whatever. I'm sure they'll realize very fast you're not talking about yourself. :D

Congrats on the reading. I would love to do one. -sigh- Someday...

Chumplet
03-09-2010, 06:42 AM
I was gonna say, "Don't wear high heels," but you're a guy so no worries there...

Stlight
03-09-2010, 08:49 AM
I agree with Poppy - I wouldn't read in a falsetto. I doubt that will sell many copies.

But I suggest you don't because, as a female, I've always found it incredibly insulting when males use that voice to be/mimic female tones. Other women don't sound that way to me, so I sincerely doubt that I sound that way.

Tell people your MC is female before you start, some will assume she's male because you are and won't let go of the idea. They get confused. After warning them, just read.

Ms Hollands
03-09-2010, 01:08 PM
...as a female, I've always found it incredibly insulting when males use that voice to be/mimic female tones. Other women don't sound that way to me, so I sincerely doubt that I sound that way.

Whereas I pity the poor beings for trying their hardest and only managing that. Wolf whistles still anger me though.

Saskatoonistan, congratulations on having the opportunity to read your very own novel in front of an audience. As daunting as it sounds to me, it's something I hope I can one day achieve and I respect anyone who has already got there. Enjoy.

nitaworm
03-09-2010, 05:23 PM
You'll do just great. I would get a kick out of seeing you or even James Patterson read his female characters. Well, don't feel bad. I had my book event and reading. My mc is a 14yr old boy :-D

By the way, love your cover.

Saskatoonistan
03-09-2010, 08:09 PM
I think I will explain to everyone that my MC is a female and then do it as Barry White ;)

ishtar'sgate
03-10-2010, 01:28 AM
And my protagonist is female but I am a guy. First line in book: "My boyfriend drives a dump truck."

So I guess I shouldn't read in falsetto...
Probably not a good idea, no. Congrats on the launch. Just have fun. I remember my launch and reading for The First Vial. Thought I would faint before I was finally introduced. Seemed like hours but probably wasn't. After I started reading I settled down and had a great time. You will too.

shaldna
03-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Maybe get a girl to do the reading.