What would American Christians do with Jesus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
As the practicing agnostic I'am, my sister (a practicing Christian, with a very open mind) and I frequently debate some different aspects of religion and over the weekend she posed an excellent question for debate.

Would American Christians follow the words of Jesus if he were alive to preach today?

I deleted my observations, felt they were to slanted, i'm more interested in others opinions.

Last edited:

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
I think that question might require some more definitions and qualifications, Don. Presumably you mean the character in the Bible, and not a possible historical prophet on whom the Biblical character may have been based. If it's the former, then you're adding miracles and charisma and fairly unambiguous recognition by most devout Christians. That is likely to change behaviour. You're also asking punters to guess personality and motive from scripture, which may be asking for a bun-fight and hurt feelings.

If it's the latter -- a prophet about whom Mithraic myths were told -- then we might get some very different answers. We know how the US treats a spectacle. :tongue

Last edited:

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Christians today don't follow what was written in the new testament over a thousand years ago (i'd argue that any historical person resembling jesus actually existed) so why would they follow any modern prophet?
Even self proclaimed "literalists" of all religions pick and choose which parts they take literally and follow, which parts they treat as metaphorical and which part they pretend don't exist. Ever seen someone on a corner with a "God hates mixed fiber clohtes" sign? If it was Sasha Baron Cohen it doesn't count.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
Christians today don't follow what was written in the new testament over a thousand years ago [...] so why would they follow any modern prophet?
I think that's a big call, Lhun.

Even self proclaimed "literalists" of all religions pick and choose which parts they take literally and follow, which parts they treat as metaphorical and which part they pretend don't exist.
That's even bigger. Some religions don't actually ask much of anyone except they try. Some ask more, but accept that more can't or won't always be given.

It's hard to imagine that the major prophet of any religion returning would have no impact at all. Setting aside what 'returning' actually means and how one would confirm that, even a widespread belief that Jesus, Mohammad or Gautama Buddha say, were present in person would surely cause a lot of excitement. Even I as an atheist and a skeptic about all things magical would be keenly interested, if only for the social impacts.

Bear in mind the number of people who attend the Pope's addresses, or undertake Haj each year... the attendance alone would be of interest. Regardless of what we think of practicing faithful today, one can only imagine that if they take their prophets seriously, their devotion would increase.

One can also only imagine that with the number of inter-faith rivalries and antipathies, any major prophet appearing would cause big concerns with other faiths.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
It's hard to imagine that the major prophet of any religion returning would have no impact at all. Setting aside what 'returning' actually means and how one would confirm that, even a widespread belief that Jesus, Mohammad or Gautama Buddha say, were present in person would surely cause a lot of excitement.
I think belief would be the difficult bit. Imagine some guy turns up in New York city and says he is Jesus Christ returned to Earth. He's going to need some serious messiah powers to back up that claim, or he's going straight to the nut-house.
And even if he started multiplying fishes, there's going to be us heathens turning to Derren Brown to figure out how he did it.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
I think belief would be the difficult bit. Imagine some guy turns up in New York city and says he is Jesus Christ returned to Earth. He's going to need some serious messiah powers to back up that claim, or he's going straight to the nut-house.
It depends on how you managed it. Bear in mind that the US is already full of Christian faith-healers and Old Time preachers. I see them on early morning TV even here in Australia.

Charismatic Christianity is one of the few kinds of Christianity on the rise. One doesn't really need to make personal claims when one has a throng to do it for one. As I recall, in the New Testament the character of Jesus didn't just show up and say 'I'm heeeeere!' the first time either. In fact he had quite a decent marketing machine going before he announced that he was anyone special.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
When he starts healing sick people for free, that's when they'll declare him crazy and lock him up.

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When he starts healing sick people for free, that's when they'll declare him crazy and lock him up.
no no no, that's when they start charging admission and getting people to sponsor his dedicated spot on the Today show.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Same things folks allegedly did the last time: kill him.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
It depends on how you managed it. Bear in mind that the US is already full of Christian faith-healers and Old Time preachers. I see them on early morning TV even here in Australia.

Charismatic Christianity is one of the few kinds of Christianity on the rise. One doesn't really need to make personal claims when one has a throng to do it for one. As I recall, in the New Testament the character of Jesus didn't just show up and say 'I'm heeeeere!' the first time either. In fact he had quite a decent marketing machine going before he announced that he was anyone special.
Hmm....I wonder if someone could successfully pass themselves off as the second coming and get a significant following.

Al Ross

Registered
Reaction score
in my house. Well it's rented so not really mine.
Website
www.alexrosaria.com
What would happen to Jesus if he appeared here? He would be ridiculed, ignored and finally put in an asylum. Hey, maybe he already in one of the many asylums out there in the wild called society.

The clerics, priest, holy man preachers etc etc are not ready nor want any Jesus on earth. They want him far away so they can have their little power. Their congregation who follows their wortd, using his name for their own glory on earth.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
Hmm....I wonder if someone could successfully pass themselves off as the second coming and get a significant following.
I'm not sure what 'significant' means, but we know that it's not hard to build large, charismatic religious sects in some place outside the USA.

Scoody

Banned
Reaction score

Last time that happened was a couple of years ago and the guy was elected President. I guess someone can still pull it off.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what 'significant' means, but we know that it's not hard to build large, charismatic religious sects in some place outside the USA.

Agreed. Happens all the time. Even in the States, perhaps less significantly.

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
The reason I edited my op, was because I started thinking about this from the political standpoint, and came to the same conclusions as many of you. It's an amazing question because it infers that Christians, (assuming for a moment anyone would believe him) would welcome Christ with open arms, but I started thinking, wait a second. Politically it would be safe to assume that Jesus was far left which would fly in the face of the Christian right. Healthcare, the second amendment, welfare, would all be issues of contention. Abortion would not, as I would suspect Jesus would find a lot of common ground on that issue. But, it really does beg the question as to what philosophy Christians would follow if he returned.

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
Why American Christians? Do you think we'd treat him differently than other countries might?

Funny you asked that, I did, and yes I came to the conclusion when thinking about the question that others may be more forgiving, less judgmental, and more willing to follow his word as opposed to their interpretation of his teachings. Of Course I could be totally ass backwards, but from my experience with some European friends who I would say are quite the religious sort, seem to separate their beliefs from their politics much better than we do.
Which is really odd when you consider the constitution and the expressly written notion that we are suppose to separate church and state by law.

Scoody

Banned
Reaction score
Don't forget wars waged by so called Christians. I do not thing Jesus would like that.

Of the 23 armed engagements going on in the world today, 22 of them involve Muslims fighting someone else.

Name the last war that Christians went to war in the name of Jesus. I'll ignore the crickets chirping.

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
Of the 23 armed engagements going on in the world today, 22 of them involve Muslims fighting someone else.

Name the last war that Christians went to war in the name of Jesus. I'll ignore the crickets chirping.

I may be wrong, but I think he may have been referring to the "turn the other cheek" adage.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I saw the title of the thread and immediately thought: "Expect him to cut his hair, trim his beard, put on a suit and get a real job."

As to the meat of the OP, I honestly don't know. If he descends from Heaven as an adult, then I'd think what his thoughts on Christianity in America today would determine how he approached announcing himself to all and sundry.

I mean, if he's all up in arms about how things are corrupted from his original teachings and destroying things like he did the moneychangers in the temple, that's not going to go over too well. America just doesn't take well to such things. If he agrees with the way things have turned out, it'll be a different reception.

Also depends on who he approaches also, I guess. I mean, if he connects with any one church over the others, I don't think that'll sit well either.

As far as politics go--that's the kind of stuff I have nightmares over, honestly.

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
I saw the title of the thread and immediately thought: "Expect him to cut his hair, trim his beard, put on a suit and get a real job."

As to the meat of the OP, I honestly don't know. If he descends from Heaven as an adult, then I'd think what his thoughts on Christianity in America today would determine how he approached announcing himself to all and sundry.

I mean, if he's all up in arms about how things are corrupted from his original teachings and destroying things like he did the moneychangers in the temple, that's not going to go over too well. America just doesn't take well to such things. If he agrees with the way things have turned out, it'll be a different reception.

Also depends on who he approaches also, I guess. I mean, if he connects with any one church over the others, I don't think that'll sit well either.

As far as politics go--that's the kind of stuff I have nightmares over, honestly.

Now you see, even with a bit of tongue and cheek, you make an excellent observation. He would have to be smart enough to blend and not be that nut at the football games with the John sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.