Harper Teen Pays 7 Figures for Debut YA Trilogy

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
From Publishers Weekly -> http://www.publishersweekly.com/art..._Pays_Seven_Figures_for_Debut_YA_Trilogy.php?

Rachel Deahl -- Publishers Weekly, 3/5/2010 9:44:42 AM

In a major pre-Bologna acquisition, Laura Arnold at Harper Teen pre-empted North American rights to a debut YA trilogy by Josephine Angelini. Mollie Glick at Foundry sold the series--the first book is called Starcrossed--and said she pitched it as "a Percy Jackson for teenage girls." Foundry's Stephanie Abou and Hannah Brown Gordon will be handling foreign rights at the Bologna Book Fair, and film rights are being handled by Angelini's manager, Rachel Miller at Tom Sawyer Entertainment.

In Starcrossed, which brings Greek tragedy to high school, a shy Nantucket teenager named Helen Hamilton attempts to kill the most attractive boy on the island, Lucas Delos, in front of her entire class. The incident proves more than a bit inconvenient for Helen, who's already concerned that she's going insane--whenever she's sees Lucas (or any of his family members) the image of three crying women appear to her.

The murder attempt does have an upside though, as it ultimately leads to Helen's revelation that she and the local heartthrob are, in fact, playing out some version of a weighty ancient love affair. (Said female apparitions are, in fact, the Three Fates.) So Helen, like her namesake, Helen of Troy isn't going crazy, she's destined to start a Trojan War-like battle by being with Lucas. This then begs the unfortunate question: should she be with the boy she loves even if it means endangering the rest of the world?

The second book in the trilogy, Persephone's Garden, follows Helen's journey to the Underworld, and the third book, Ilium, chronicles the final battle between mortals and the gods. Harper Teen is planning to publish Starcrossed in summer 2011.
Interesting, interesting indeed...I didn't even know publishing houses still did that sort of thing. On one hand, they wouldn't do it if they weren't 100% confident that they'll get paid back their advance and turn a huge profit - people are already saying Move Over Stephenie Meyer. On the other hand, it'd be like...a disaster if it didn't.

Still, it probably will. It sounds like an interesting premise. But maybe it's because this is similar to the story I'm trying to shop around to agents (and getting rejected consistently) that the news, while great for the author, kind of makes me feel a little sad. Petty, I know, but it's like...ugh I want this so bad. It's like a kick to the stomach seeing someone else live your dream by writing something sorta like you're writing...but obviously better. Still, like I said back on my jealousy thread in Rejection and Dejection it's just one of those things where you need to let yourself feel whatever you want to feel and then move on with whatever you're doing. maybe I'm not good enough to get an awesome deal from a major publishing house, but I sure as hell shouldn't stop trying.

Ah well, that's enough of my existential crisis. But from looking at the preview, it does really seem cool. What do you guys think about it? And what about the premise do you think hooked Harper in to that extent?

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... sounds like a cool book to me too. Wild plot! I'm sure there have been many other novels with similiar ones, though. But maybe this particular twist with the high school and all is what hooked Harper, along with good writing and co. of course. Neat reading about.

charlotte49ers

let it snow
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking the success of Percy Jackson has probably played a part in this, but I don't know for sure, of course.

Must be nice!

Glenakin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
glenakinsays.blogspot.com
People always say that. Like how they said "move over JK Rowling, Stephenie Meyer is here." And years later Twilight hasn't even dented Harry Potter in terms of sale or popularity. It's all hype at the end of the day.

Plus, I think it has to do with the Percy Jackson movie coming out. It's got people interested in the series again and publishers see it as an opporunity to cash in on the current craze.

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
The book sounds awesome, though :D

Melissa_Marr

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-marr.com
If I were to guess, I'd say that the Percy books are a factor as much as the YA paranormal trend and the writing in the book are.

The Percy angle: Riordan's books are MG, but the movie aged them up. PLUS, those MG readers will be YA readers in the near future.

The YA angle: paranormal keeps growing & flexing in new areas.

Both reasons are logical to acquire the text, esp if it has the writing to support the concepts . . . or even not. (Some books sell well even if the writing isn't stellar.) Maybe it's well written; maybe it's a killer story; maybe it's both.

As the YA market grows, those few debut deals that were topping out at 500k a handful of years ago are going to be replaced by a few 7fig debut deals. The YA market has grown at remarkable rate in the last decade, and right now, it's thriving. A decade ago, it was an afterthought w little shelving space. A few yrs ago it needed a wall. Last year, Borders restructured their interior store layout to focus on YA. That growth of shelf space is reflected in sales numbers.

How many adult fic authors now write YA? Serious influx there . . . partly bc the market is so strong. (Although I'm sure some were interested in writing YA for reasons that are less economics-based.)

Adult readers crossover in large numbers which increases the sales overall. HP started it; Twilight continued it; and now more & more YA is read by adults. As the readership increases, the next batch of sales projections--and the resulting P&L sheets that determine advances offered--will reflect that. Eventually, the market will level out, but until then, I think we're still in a growth period.

. . . at least that's my market economics read on it. YMMV, of course :)

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I think I want to kill myself.

My current series in progess is very much along these lines. It's a modern retelling of Helen of Troy.

Ugawa

It's a catastrophic success!
Registered
Reaction score
I wondered when someone was going to post this.

Sounds interesting. Not my cup of tea, but I'm sure others will enjoy it.

bertrigby

Dysfunctional dystopian
Registered
Reaction score
shaldna, my recent MS (which admittedly will never see the light of day, in all likelihood) is about an adventure in the Underworld. So I know how you feel!

Don't get too downhearted, though. The story of Helen is exactly original, is it? It will always have resonance and there's room for more than one interpretation.

I dislike the fact that the third book is called 'Ilium'. There's already an amazing sci-fi with that name by Dan Simmons.

Glenakin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
What you guys need to know is, while this is such a big deal, the author is actually under a lot of pressure as it is. If the series doesnt deliver and give the publishers their seven figure sum back, then that wont be good for her

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
What you guys need to know is, while this is such a big deal, the author is actually under a lot of pressure as it is. If the series doesnt deliver and give the publishers their seven figure sum back, then that wont be good for her

Which is why I wonder why publishers go all out and hand out huge advances like that anyway. To me a pre-empt says they WANT this to be the next Twilight and they're willing to put in the cash to make sure it becomes the Next Big Thing, but from my experience and what I've seen, the Next Big Thing doesn't happen because people are paying for it to - it just does. How did Harry Potter get big? Because big corporations were backing it? No. Because of word of mouth. Children telling other children on the playgrounds. Period. Only after it became huge did companies start trying to cash in.

It's just so dangerous paying out a huge advance when for all you know by the time the book comes out people might already be tired of the whole Twilight-esque genre (with various spins - werewolves, angels and now I guess greek myth) and it may not do as well as they'd hoped. Then again maybe it'd be totally awesome and it WILL become the next big thing, but from what has already happened the NBT will just happen one day - pop out of nowhere when no one's looking, which will then create the huge mad rush to emulate its formula to generate more success.

I would feel sorry for the author for the pressure, but even if the book were to fail, she still has her million. She probably doesn't need to write another book for the rest of her life (and if she does she could always use a pseudonym). Still, this seems like the type of thing that will be popular, even if it's not 7-figures popular.

Still on a personal note I sure do hope this book doesn't do to Greek Myth what Twilight did to vampires or I'll be pissed. I'm a huge fan of Homer, huge, so I wouldn't appreciate it if publishers tried to Hot Topic it up and shove it down my throat because, as a woman, I'm genetically supposed to love melodramatic romances, right? RIGHT?

I'm also quite incensed at the idea that "Percy Jackson for Teenage Girls" apparently means "Percy Jackson starring a teenage girl whose main conflict is her angsty love for Hot Boy" (with all that other supernatural stuff happening in the background). Surely Harry Potter has proven that teenage girls can get behind books that focus more on the plot, magic, mystery even if the romance is minimal at best? Sure it's proven that teenage girls/young women aren't simply interested in Love Triangles when it comes to literature? Do Publishers realize that?

Sorry just had to get that out of my system. Despite all this, I am holding out hope that the book is really good and worth the hype and not of the Twilight persuasion.

*hugs shaldna* I'd write it anyway because you never know - your story could be quite different.

Last edited:

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Roly:
Which is why I wonder why publishers go all out and hand out huge advances like that anyway. To me a pre-empt says they WANT this to be the next Twilight and they're willing to put in the cash to make sure it becomes the Next Big Thing, but from my experience and what I've seen, the Next Big Thing doesn't happen because people are paying for it to - it just does. How did Harry Potter get big? Because big corporations were backing it? No. Because of word of mouth. Children telling other children on the playgrounds. Period. Only after it became huge did companies start trying to cash in.

Like William Goldman said, "Nobody knows anything". Sometimes a book with a big enough marketing spend behind it will make a tonne of money.

What surprises me is that for that outlay, HarperTeen only got US rights. I'd have thought they'd want to pre-empt on world rights because at least that way they stand a better chance of getting the cash back and passing on the risk.

Personally, I wouldn't want the pressure that a 7 figure deal puts on a debut novel but that doesn't mean I'd reject the cash out of hand if someone out there wants to offer :D

It is an interesting indication of the faith that publishers have in the YA market right now and I'll be interested in seeing what happens when the book comes out. I know of one chick-lit writer who got a high 6 figure deal on her debut novel (in what was a 2 book deal). The debut tanked, despite a massive publicity campaign, the publisher turned down the second book and her agent couldn't get her a deal for it. A year later the agent dumped her and she was back to the day job (albeit with a nicer house).

MM

bertrigby

Dysfunctional dystopian
Registered
Reaction score
I sure do hope this book doesn't do to Greek Myth what Twilight did to vampires
Feeling your pain Roly, Helen is probably my favourite character in the Iliad after Hector.

I guess one of the advantages of making such a huge payout is that it gets the press ball rolling in advance. I mean, we've all heard of it now...I also agree with Momento Mori that it's a good sign of how healthy YA is at the moment.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Healthy yes, but for what kind of writers? Are publishers more willing to take risks on YA books or just certain kinds of YA books that have certain kinds of themes, subject matter, characters etc. I mean if you're not of the mind to write something Twilight-ish or romance/angst-centric it might not bode well for you, since right now the money currently isn't in what you write.

But who knows, in the end if a book is good and well-written an agent might pick it up even if it doesn't follow a guaranteed money maker formula. And if a book is good, people will like it and read it :) . After the money it is, after all, about enjoying a good book, right?

Glenakin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Still on a personal note I sure do hope this book doesn't do to Greek Myth what Twilight did to vampires or I'll be pissed.
Looking at the trend of YA bestsellers that have been embraced lately - Hush hush, Fallen, et la, the book will probably do that.

I'm also quite incensed at the idea that "Percy Jackson for Teenage Girls" apparently means "Percy Jackson starring a teenage girl whose main conflict is her angsty love for Hot Boy" (with all that other supernatural stuff happening in the background). Surely Harry Potter has proven that teenage girls can get behind books that focus more on the plot, magic, mystery even if the romance is minimal at best?
Don't you just miss the good old days when plots took central role and love triangles were the stuff of background drama? Unfortunately, such is YA these days. Most successful YA books must focus on one chick and two super hot supernatural guys vying for her affection.

Sure it's proven that teenage girls/young women aren't simply interested in Love Triangles when it comes to literature? Do Publishers realize that?
You know, on this note, I'm going to point at majority of female YA authors as the culprits. I don't want to start anything, however it has to be said.

YA right now is commandeered by female writers. They make, break, and spin YA whichever way they please. And rightfully so, because they can write. There are more talented female YA writers out there today than their male counterparts. Let's give credit where credit is due.

But it seems most female YA writers today are interested in weird love triangles between a hot, dangerous boy (who is a vampire/fallen angel/human/something I don't know), a hot, safe boy (who is a human/werewolf/soemthing I don't know), and an ordinary girl (who has the power to capture the heart of the dangerous boy, the good boy, and every other boy, even though she's nowhere as hot as least hottest cheerleader in her school). Plot takes a backseat.

Please note, I'm not being sexist. I recognise that there is a market for these types of books and that market consists of young girls and old women (and probably 0.89% men and 0.08% boys), but it's got so bad. Young adult males aren't even getting enough love - so few books are out there for them; so I'm not angry when they turn to Xbox360 and PS3. Even if there are a lot more books for them, they don't get enough publicity.

I'm the only guy in my group of male friends who still reads YA. When I say YA they assume it's a love triangle story - it's sad. It's even got me scared, cos I keep thinking agents and publishers will reject my work cos I focus more on plot than emo love hexagons

I know of one chick-lit writer who got a high 6 figure deal on her debut novel (in what was a 2 book deal). The debut tanked, despite a massive publicity campaign, the publisher turned down the second book and her agent couldn't get her a deal for it. A year later the agent dumped her and she was back to the day job (albeit with a nicer house).

MM
Yeah, that pretty much sums it lol :D

I guess one of the advantages of making such a huge payout is that it gets the press ball rolling in advance. I mean, we've all heard of it now...I also agree with Momento Mori that it's a good sign of how healthy YA is at the moment.

Yeah, but it also puts the book under scrutiny. For example, imagine Harry Potter when it first came out and Harry Potter now. Back then, most people looked at it and said, "What a nice book." Now, people look at it and say, "It doesn't even deserve all the attention." I'm not saying the latter are correct - cos I think Harry Potter is amazing - but I'm trying to point out that when you put this kind of attention on a book, people will go into the book thinking, "Yeah, let's see what's so 7 figure about this book," instead of "Oh, wow, what a cool book. I should give it a try."

The publicity works both ways :)

neener

Cleaning is overrated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janinesclayson.blogspot.com
I've always loved a good love triangle. Isn't this the 2nd big deal for a debut author recently? Let's all take this as a good sign.

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think we can understand why they spent that kind of money on that trilogy of all unpublished MS's in the same genre without reading the books. And even then it might make no sense.

I think that having the pressure of a million-dollar advance is a problem any of us would love to bear. . .

shaldna

Registered
Reaction score
Feeling your pain Roly, Helen is probably my favourite character in the Iliad after Hector.

really?

see, i think Helen is a bitch. She was a traitor, and a coward and she manipulated the men in her life into getting what she wants.

She's sure as hell interesting, which is why I chose to write about her, but I definately don't think she's a nice character.

shaldna

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think we can understand why they spent that kind of money on that trilogy of all unpublished MS's in the same genre without reading the books. And even then it might make no sense.

true. the more i hear of these stories the more i think everyone who works in publishing is mental.

I think that having the pressure of a million-dollar advance is a problem any of us would love to bear. . .

not me.

Let me have my 20k and after that we'll see.

My problem is that I have absolutely no impulse control, and if I had a million bucks then I would spend a million bucks.

I would also have a complete nervous breakdown at the first sign of writers block.

Plus, I would have to move out of my house because of the publicity etc. My neighbours don't know what I do for a living and I would like to keep it that way.

bertrigby

Dysfunctional dystopian
Registered
Reaction score
shaldna, I don't think she's 'nice' either! But I love the scene where she watches from the walls and thinks about Castor and Pollux and interacts with Priam and then Aphrodite comes and orders her to go to bed with Paris. She's a complex character which is why I like her.

Helen in the Odyssey is a different question. Now there's an out and out manipulative bitch.

Glenakin, I get what you're saying about scrutiny and I agree it's a caveat to the positive publicity. I've started seeing a lot of negative comments about the books online already.

shaldna

Registered
Reaction score
shaldna, I don't think she's 'nice' either! But I love the scene where she watches from the walls and thinks about Castor and Pollux and interacts with Priam and then Aphrodite comes and orders her to go to bed with Paris. She's a complex character which is why I like her.

Helen in the Odyssey is a different question. Now there's an out and out manipulative bitch.

She's definately complex.

Glenakin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
really?

see, i think Helen is a bitch. She was a traitor, and a coward and she manipulated the men in her life into getting what she wants.
Lol man, you are awesome. You just keep moving up the awesome scale everyday!

You and who? Not me, mate. I won't take it. I'll probably take half or three-quarter and ask the publishers to use the rest to promote the book. That's the thing I don't get about these 1 million dollar plus advances. They pay the author that much money and the biggest promotion they give the book is word of mouth.

Really?

Why not just use most of the money to promote the book if you think the book is that awesome?

Common sense.

I love writing. It's my passion. I will not ruin my career for a million dollars. If they offered me that kind of money and my book didn't make back a million dollars then my career as a writer is over. Every writer who has taken that kind of advance and hasn't been able to pull back profit have fallen into similar problems. Most of them have to come up with pen names just to write again.

Glenakin, I get what you're saying about scrutiny and I agree it's a caveat to the positive publicity. I've started seeing a lot of negative comments about the books online already.
Yeah, that's what happens. People want to know why the author got that much money. They dont even care about the book anymore. It's a shame.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Roly:
Are publishers more willing to take risks on YA books or just certain kinds of YA books that have certain kinds of themes, subject matter, characters etc. I mean if you're not of the mind to write something Twilight-ish or romance/angst-centric it might not bode well for you, since right now the money currently isn't in what you write.

Like Glenakin said, it's not a coincidence that the majority of YA books coming out now that are getting a lot of promotion (by which I mean the ones on the 3 for 2 table and the flashy publisher-produced book trailers) strongly feature romance elements (Hush Hush, Fallen, Shiver) and that is undoubtedly down to the Twilight effect.

I don't personally know how this is translating in terms of sales. Certainly in the UK, the Sunday Times top 10 for children's/YA remains dominated by the 4 Stephenie Meyer books and I haven't seen anything else break in for months.

Note though that the UK is not as sophisticated a YA market as in the US.

Roly:
But who knows, in the end if a book is good and well-written an agent might pick it up even if it doesn't follow a guaranteed money maker formula.

I know that my agent suggesting bumping up a potential love triangle in my novel, which I have done but not necessarily in a romantic way ...

:shifty eyes:

I kind of see my book as being the anti-Twilight or twisted-Twilight because it has the elements for a big romance but it goes all slanty half-way through. That's because I'm a bitter, twisted woman.

Glenakin:
But it seems most female YA writers today are interested in weird love triangles between a hot, dangerous boy (who is a vampire/fallen angel/human/something I don't know), a hot, safe boy (who is a human/werewolf/soemthing I don't know), and an ordinary girl (who has the power to capture the heart of the dangerous boy, the good boy, and every other boy, even though she's nowhere as hot as least hottest cheerleader in her school). Plot takes a backseat.

Not in my book, love. :) I go for action all the way and my manipulative, attractive MC discovers the penalties for his actions.

RainbowDragon:

Well I think the mistake is in assuming that the author in question is getting the money upfront. They won't. That 7 figure sum will be split into at least 6 and most likely 9 payments and I will put my own cold hard cash down on the fact that there is no obligation on the publisher to accept or pay for books 2 and 3 if book 1 drops like a stone.

shaldna:
true. the more i hear of these stories the more i think everyone who works in publishing is mental.

In fairness, from a publisher's point of view it's not that mental a decision.

I went to a lecture where a bunch of uber-agents and uber-publishers ran through what happens in an auction. If the acquiring editor likes the book then they'll discuss it with the marketing and accounting bods who will probably take a look at it if the editor is seriously bigging it up.

The marketing guys will go to their bookbuyer contacts and sound out what their likely interest is going to be and the bookbuyers will hear Percy Jackson (kerching) and Twilight (kerching kerching) and say that they'll get behind it, most likely with supermarket/major store purchase and support.

Meanwhile the accounting bods will be taking a look at sales figures for the paranormal romance market and anything to do with Greek mythology to work out what the sales figures are likely to be. They'll factor in the marketing costs, printing costs etc and tell the acquiring editor what budget they'll give them to put forward to the agent.

I will bet that each of the publishers in that auction did the math, worked their contacts and worked out that if they got the right strategy and the right bookstore support, they'd make that money back easy.

shaldna:
Let me have my 20k and after that we'll see.

Good luck getting that much. I've been told not to get my hopes up above 10k absolute tops. And that's for 2 books.

Glenakin:
You and who? Not me, mate. I won't take it. I'll probably take half or three-quarter and ask the publishers to use the rest to promote the book. That's the thing I don't get about these 1 million dollar plus advances. They pay the author that much money and the biggest promotion they give the book is word of mouth.

Really?

Why not just use most of the money to promote the book if you think the book is that awesome?

Common sense.

I love writing. It's my passion. I will not ruin my career for a million dollars. If they offered me that kind of money and my book didn't make back a million dollars then my career as a writer is over. Every writer who has taken that kind of advance and hasn't been able to pull back profit have fallen into similar problems. Most of them have to come up with pen names just to write again.

Honestly, while I'd like to think that I'd turn down a million, I don't know if I'd have the strength to - particularly if they're giving a v. nice up front payment - and from what I've heard from the agent/publisher side, there really aren't that many writers who do turn down the cash. In fact, I've heard some publishers complain that they've gone into an auction being told by the author that all they want is marketing committment and to be nurtured as a writer and then gone for the largest sum of money on the table.

It's for that reason that so many publishers won't commit a marketing spend in the auction (doing so effectively ties up that sum from their budget until the auction is over) and will instead emphasise the strategy that they'd adopt.

I'll just take solace in the fact that my chances of getting a publishing deal are 50-50 and the most I'll likely get is 10k.

MM

shaldna

Registered
Reaction score
Note though that the UK is not as sophisticated a YA market as in the US.

Says who?

Honestly, while I'd like to think that I'd turn down a million, I don't know if I'd have the strength to - particularly if they're giving a v. nice up front payment - and from what I've heard from the agent/publisher side, there really aren't that many writers who do turn down the cash.

Didn't that guy who wrote gargoyle turn down a million advance?