Oscar Watching...Your picks.

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
I love Neil Patrick Harris. And Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin. This is already going very well!

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
George Clooney looked pretty pissed off. In fact, everyone that Martin and Baldwin picked on seemed pissed off.

Hooray for Up winning best animated feature, even though it was a shoe-in. I'm also glad that Star Trek got SOME recognition...it really should have been nominated instead of the Blind Slide for best picture. But whatever.

I liked the actor/writer banter between Tina Fey and Robert Downey, Jr.

The horror montage was pretty fun, too. Minus the Twilight scene (wtf, not a horror film, folks).

On we go...awards have been pretty predictable so far. C'mon, let's have a surprise, folks! Or a spontaneous musical number, please!

I'm enjoying the hosts, though.

ETA: Oh, and the John Hughes tribute brought me great joy (and sadness). It was great to see the brat pack.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Not many surprises. Mark Boal winning for The Hurt Locker, The White Ribbon losing out to The Secrets in their Eyes, I think that's about it.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
The Hurt Locker--YES.

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, that's six awards for the Hurt Locker, which I believe is more than Avatar won. In yo face, Jim.

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
The only movie I feel that got stiffed a bit, was District 9. Otherwise, I agreed with most of the picks.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
They're supposed to react, i.e. look pissed off, etc. It's part of the gig. Reactions to the hosts are almost always staged.

I'm happy with the acting picks.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
The only movie I feel that got stiffed a bit, was District 9. Otherwise, I agreed with most of the picks.

This.

District 9 was much better than Avatar IMO.

Not even close.

Mel...

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Funny, both films have stolen stories.
I wouldn't say stolen. They're commonplace stories told in a unique style. That's screenwriting, baby.
Congratulations to Mark Foal and Kathryn Bigelow, and the makers of "Hurt Locker"!

Art_Sempai

Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
art-sempai.deviantart.com
No one saying much about Avatar and Call Me Joe.
Hurt Locker has a lawsuit from the real soldier going.

...But all that would fill another thread lol.

Yep, bad luck for District 9.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
George Clooney was playing off Baldwin and Martin... he's the master jokester.

Biggest losers: Up in the Air and District 9. Zip.
Best speech: Sandra Bullock
Best moments: Kathryn Bigelow being first woman to win best director in 82 years; tribute to John Hughes; Hurt Locker winning best picture; Tina Fey and Robert Downey Jr.

Smileycat

The Punk Cat
Registered
Reaction score
I hafta say I love Jeff Bridges, but think he should have won for past performances, not Crazy Heart. This part is too close to how he really is. (Think Starman, for which he was also nominated (and rightfully so), and Jagged Edge, to name two.)

Who should have won? The first timer, Jeremy Renner, of course! For best film The Hurt Locker (and I agree), which might not have won, if not for his terrific performance.

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
I was so so glad that Michael Giacchino won for best original score. He's such a versatile composer. He definitely deserves the award.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Well, at least people know Jeremy Renner's name now! He's been under the radar a long time, frequently playing military, a cop, or something like that, and he's really good at it. I've been a fan since '99 or 2000 when he guested in an episode of "Angel" season 1. Opportunities should be pouring in after this.

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
I'm wondering of James Cameron's wife is ill - did anyone but me notice her? She was beyond thin, really, really skinny to the point her bones stuck out. She didn't look like she had any makeup on and was very, very pale. I guess, to me, she really stood out among all those gorgeous women.

Carlene

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got all the actors and actresses right in our Oscar voting. But I picked Avatar for Best Picture and James Cameron for Best Director. My husband has been gloating since he picked Hurt Locker and Kathryn Bigelow to win.

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
The awards have never been so predictable. Everybody who was predicted to win, did. The only exception was the foreign-language movie, an Argentinian pic I never heard of.

As to personal taste, I'm glad The Hurt Locker - which I will see this weekend - outdid Avatar.

The new Jeff Bridges pic is not here yet, but he was great in The Big Lebowski, Tucker, Arlington Road, Fisher King, The Muse, The Fabulous Baker Boys ... or in pretty much everything he ever did.

Last edited:

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Avatar is/was way too overhyped, compared to the other films in its category, no way it should have won best picture (thankfully it didn't)

Personally, I thought UP should have won best picture.

When I saw Up in the theater, it had the entire theater laughing and crying and cheering. Seriously, when a movie can do that, it is truly special.

Mel...

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Avatar is/was way too overhyped, compared to the other films in its category, no way it should have won best picture (thankfully it didn't)

Personally, I thought UP should have won best picture.

When I saw Up in the theater, it had the entire theater laughing and crying and cheering. Seriously, when a movie can do that, it is truly special.

Mel...

Well, I do agree that Up was a very special movie. I think it was very sweet. But I think Oscar voters seem to vote for more dramatic movies for Best Picture--war movies, message movies, etc.

I only thought Avatar would win because it won the Golden Globe.