Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
*sigh*

well, the novel I had under consideration by a small press finally was rejected a few minutes ago...

after EIGHT months of having it sit there exclusively - I asked three times for updates and they said it was still under review.

*sighs again*

at this point I'm almost ready to go have the darned thing done by Lulu.com just to get it out of my mind. It's becoming more obvious to me that it's more luck than skill that gets you published, and that's a scary notion to one who believes in the idea that talent will eventually win out.

can't get an agent to nibble and I had targeted this publisher specifically because of their good rep...

bah. humbug.

where's my chocolate?

:(

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Hey,Sheryl, how about just-off-the-griddle chocolate chip pancakes??! With lots of maple syrup. The real stuff.
2.gif

Post that rejection (hardcopy it if it's email) and throw stuff at it. But not the pancakes.

That really stinks--an exclusive for eight months and then they reject it?? AAGGGH! I feel for you. Here's a hug.

:Hug2:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Skill

Sheryl Nantus said:
*sigh*

well, the novel I had under consideration by a small press finally was rejected a few minutes ago...

after EIGHT months of having it sit there exclusively - I asked three times for updates and they said it was still under review.

*sighs again*

at this point I'm almost ready to go have the darned thing done by Lulu.com just to get it out of my mind. It's becoming more obvious to me that it's more luck than skill that gets you published, and that's a scary notion to one who believes in the idea that talent will eventually win out.

can't get an agent to nibble and I had targeted this publisher specifically because of their good rep...

bah. humbug.

where's my chocolate?

Therte's no luck in getting published. Ahents and editors do not close tehir eyes and pick manuscritps at random. Luck in publishing comes after you sell a book, not before.

Books are bought because they're good. Most books are not good, and are not bought. When agents don't nibble, and publishers don't buy, it isn't because of luck, it's because somewhere from the query to the actual writing, the writer is doing something wrong. Books do not get any better because you go with Lulu. Finding out what you're doing wrong and fixing it is what makes books better.

Luck isn't not what stops agent and editors from buying what you're trying to sell. Not writing what they want as well as others are doing it is the problem.

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
Sheryl Nantus said:
*sigh*

*sighs again*

bah. humbug.

where's my chocolate?

Sheryl,

Perhaps it is all just a lesson learned. Which is OK, because life is full of those. (Never an 8 month exclusive again!) Did they give you specifics on why the rejection? And you know what, just take that rejection and get something good from it, like there's another publisher out there waiting for you to submit. Don't give up, and keep submitting, ESPECIALLY if you feel you've given this manuscript the best possible attention with detail.

And for the chocolate, close your eyes and think about a 2 scoop double chocolate ice cream sundae with chocolate cookie dough chunks and chocolate covered pecans layered throughout, drizzled with warm chocolate syrup and chocolate whipped cream and a chocolate covered cherry......or better yet, find your nearest Ice Cream parlar and demand they make you one.
wink.gif

Here's a hug too...
EmoteHug2.gif

Don't let it get you down. Rejections are a part of the process. you know that. Now go have a wonderful day.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
Therte's no luck in getting published.

Books are bought because they're good.

When agents don't nibble, and publishers don't buy, it isn't because of luck, it's because somewhere from the query to the actual writing, the writer is doing something wrong.

Luck isn't not what stops agent and editors from buying what you're trying to sell. Not writing what they want as well as others are doing it is the problem.

All of which explains, of course, why Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance collected over 100 rejections before getting published to bestsellerdom (and any number of other similar stories).

bird

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
diaryofaliteraryfictioneditor.blogspot.com
Sheryl Nantus to one who believes in the idea that talent will eventually win out. [/QUOTE said:
Sheryl Nantus where's my chocolate? [/QUOTE said:
Awe Sheryl, I'm sorry you had to go through that, I had the same thing happen to me regarding a nonfiction book--it stinks, I know :Hug2:

Now here's a little gift for you from someone else who believes in the idea that talent will eventually win out.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Chocolate pudding

That really rots -- left hanging for eight months -- no, make that, left hanging EXCLUSIVELY for eight months!

I just made some chocolate pudding -- using full-cream milk, cooked on the stove top. You want some?

:kiss: I just licked out the saucepan, so here's a chocolate-pudding kiss to go along with my offer.

Hang in there!

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Luck be a Lady

Jamesaritchie said:
Therte's no luck in getting published.

I disagree with this statement, too, but not quite as vehemently as Vomaxx ...

There are many things one can do to increase the chances that one's manuscript will be selected for publication -- not the least is writing a darn good manuscript, of course. Then there's researching appropriate agents, writing a killer query letter, following agents' submission guidelines, etc.

But, come on -- good luck and/or bad luck -- the Tao of the Universe -- karma -- call it what you will -- can play a part, too. You can't control all variables.

The key word, for me, is "can" -- a possibility -- not necessarily a probability.

Luck can play a role -- but not as large a role, or as frequent a role, as doing what I've written above (writing, researching, etc).

OK, now that I've said my piece ... I'm gonna back out real nice and quiet like ... nobody move ... no one needs to get hurt ... okay?:gone:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
My suspicion is that those who downplay the role of the "L" word tend to be those who've experienced some benefit from it, and those who disagree are those who haven't.

Me, I attribute my absence of success mainly to writing incompetence.

bird

Vomaxx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andiriel.blogspot.com
I think all would agree that luck plays a role in human affairs. Right?

Well, since getting a book published is a human activity, then luck must play a role. QED, I think.

We can argue about the extent to which luck is important, of course--not that I intend to do that.

Certainly getting an agent seems to be partly influenced by happening to get your query or proposal to the "right" person at the "right" time.

I don't suggest that fine writing, good plotting, professional behavior, and, above all, persistence, aren't more important than luck. But luck is in there too.

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Vomaxx said:
I think all would agree that luck plays a role in human affairs. Right?

Well, since getting a book published is a human activity, then luck must play a role. QED, I think.

We can argue about the extent to which luck is important, of course--not that I intend to do that.

Certainly getting an agent seems to be partly influenced by happening to get your query or proposal to the "right" person at the "right" time.

I don't suggest that fine writing, good plotting, professional behavior, and, above all, persistence, aren't more important than luck. But luck is in there too.

Well said and I hope that I'm firing on all cylinders - luck and diligence to the process, 'cause I just sent out a requested ms today.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
stormie said:
Hey, this is the rejection and dejection board. Anyone else going to give Sheryl her much-needed chocolate??!!

:Cake: Chocolate cake with chocolate mousse filling and dark chocolate icing. (Don't mind me--I'm a chocoholic.)

It needs to be baker's chocolate -- dark and hard and bitter.

bird

Jenny

Who should be writing ...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Sheryl

I'm sorry to hear about the novel bouncing back after eight months. It hurts, particularly when you could all but see, taste, smell that book in print by a small press you love - and you a published author.

Lots of chocolate and good luck and persistence in researching a publisher who is dying for your novel.

Jenny

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
blacbird said:
My suspicion is that those who downplay the role of the "L" word tend to be those who've experienced some benefit from it, and those who disagree are those who haven't.
bird

Well put.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Sheryl Nantus said:
I'm dying here.

the small press in question just contacted me again.

they WANT my book.

the contract is, as they say, in the mail.

I'm dying.

just... dying.

Wow. Your hair is going to go gray from all the stress. Congrats!! Hopefully they don't pull anymore switcheroos on you!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
There's no luck in getting published.

Luck isn't what stops agent and editors from buying what you're trying to sell. Not writing what they want as well as others are doing it is the problem.

If you want a perspective on the issue of "luck" from published writers, google, say, "fiction writing publication luck" or some similar combination. You'll get some illuminating responses, almost none of which agree with what's said above.

bird

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Another Round!

Sheryl Nantus said:
I'm dying here.

the small press in question just contacted me again.

they WANT my book.

the contract is, as they say, in the mail.

I'm dying.

just... dying.

Wow! Great news! I say this calls for another round of chocolate for everyone!
(but no dark & bitter chocolate this time)

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
Sheryl,

That's wonderful news. Wishing you well with the publisher. I'm very happy for you. And I agree...lots and lots of chocolate for everyone.

emoticonbanana.gif
emoticonbanana.gif
emoticonbanana.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.