Dedication Pages and Illustrations

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
Question about Dedication Pages, Acknowelgements, and Author's Notes, and Illustrations. If an Agent asks for the entire book should you include these? Or just the writing? Do they ask for these pages at a certain time? What do they do about illustrations? My book I'd like to publish is filled with illustrations -- fully filled. A picture almost every chapter. When are these put in the book? Right away or later?

Hedgetrimmer

What happened, just there?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure about illustrations, but dedication and acknowledgment? Definite NO. Those are submitted to an editor after all edits have been done and you actually have a book to dedicate to someone. And people you wish to acknowledge will change between your writing the manuscript and the book going to print.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
You need none of these until after the book sells. Honestly, you may never need the illustrations. It takes a lot more money to publish a book with illustrations, why is why so few illustrated novels are out there.

Danthia

Ditto. And illustrations will be the design team's decision, not the author's. (With input from the sales/marketing team and the editorial team of course). Just submit the story, and all that comes after it sells.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto. And illustrations will be the design team's decision, not the author's. (With input from the sales/marketing team and the editorial team of course). Just submit the story, and all that comes after it sells.

This is great advice.

In general decisions about illustrations are not made by the author, however, if this comes up and you have illustrations that the publisher thinks are suitable then you might be able to come to a deal about them.

I would mention it, but not include them in the sub package.

As for the dedication page etc, I would leave that until after it's been accepted.