I've been laid off - sort of - need advice, please

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know whether to take the 15 hours I'm being offered or go on unemployment.

I honestly don't know what to do. My boss has asked me to cut my hours to 15 a week (two days). With our financial situation I can't afford right now to not work full time, even though she's going to leave the health benefits in tact (for now - who knows how long that would last?) The thing is, the company picks up 100 percent of my health coverage - I only pay for my husband.

I mean, yes, if you stretch it out over a long term it might be more beneficial to keep the 15 hours with the health benefits in tact but on a paycheck to paycheck basis, I can't afford to drop down to $300 a week - it would be disaster for us.

And with the freelance situation as it is out there, I couldn't even hope to make up the full time money I'd lose.

My gut tells me I'm better off taking unemployment as an option and looking for another full time job - actually I found two yesterday on the Internet. It would be risky in this economic climate but I wouldn't be closing the door all the way on this job and eventually, if business picks up, they might bring my position back up to full time in six months or so.

I think I'd make more on unemployment than $300 a week and that has to be priority right now.

My husband thinks I should opt for unemployment - he thinks I have a chance of getting a better job that way. I have nearly 30 years invested in my industry.

I don't know what to do - any advice would be helpful.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You have another option. Get another part-time job. Your current job would provide part of your income, plus insurance.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My gut tells me I'm better off taking unemployment as an option and looking for another full time job - actually I found two yesterday on the Internet.
From the standpoint of a hiring employer, you're a better prospect if you already have a job, even a part time job. If I were in your shoes I'd hang onto the 15 hours a week, use the remaining 25 to seek full time employment until I was hired elsewhere, then quit the 15-hour gig.

JMO. Good luck in your job search.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yes, the second part time job - I'd thought about that too. That's another option

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What Alleycat said. The health benefits are a huge consideration. You will have to pay for your own health benefits if you go on unemployment insurance. And I know too many people who have lost their jobs and been out of work for months without being able to find employment. Unemployment benefits will run out over time, as well. You are much better off staying with what you have and finding additional part time work, from what I have seen of the current job situation. You can still put out resumes and if someone offers you a job then put in your two weeks notice.

This is my best advice in today's unstable climate.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Or keep this job while you look for another. IMHO, it's always better to job search while you're employed. Having gaps in your employment or filing for unemployment often carries a negative stigma with certain employers (and I'm not saying that's right).

Or as alleycat suggested, try finding another part-time job to make up the hours.

I wouldn't apply for unemployment unless you absolutely have to---after you've exhausted all other options. You might find something really soon! :)

Best of luck!

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
Well actually I wouldn't be losing health benefits entirely - I'd be placed on my husband's plan at his job.
What I'd be losing is 100 percent coverage, as I have now.
What you guys say makes sense. Part of me has wanted out of this job for a long time - it's a very solitary position and not very satisfying for me anymore.
I've already applied online this morning for some copy editor's jobs - I couldn't work in retail because I can't stand for long periods of time. I'd have to get an office job.
I'd also thought about starting up my own business but would be the same as getting started as a full time freelancer.
My head is still in a fog from all of this - I'm sure I'm not thinking clearly.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
It has already been said - keep the 15 hours and look for another part time or full time job. Getting a job when unemployed is always harder.
Are there agencies for the type of work you do? Could you register with them?

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
You've gotten some good advice, one other thing I would consider is the message your sending your current boss. You mentioned that your hours might be reinstated after about 6 months, if things pick up. Obviously, your boss/company are having their share of issues in the current economy. They presented you with an option to try and keep you and the company going. By staying and working out some other sources of income, it would demonstrate that you are someone that can be worked with and that you understand that it's a necessity on their part. When things do pick up, you are going to look like a loyal employee who can ride it out through thick and thin.

That doesn't mean you aren't looking for greener pastures. The bad thing about greener pastures is that sometimes they turn out to be a mirage.

I would be leery about looking at jobs posted on the internet. They just had an article about that on our news and you really need to verify if they are genuine and what exactly they offer.

Registering through a temp agency gives you opportunities that you can have some control over and some flexibility. Also, craft sales, child care, cleaning for real estate businesses, and many other small type jobs offer income and flexibility. With your work experience, you might look at the job market and find new ways to use your skills. Often times our hobbies or personal interests offer income opportunities. Give yourself a little time before making any rash decisions.

I hope it all works out well for you and yours.

Cheers!

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Best of luck, Mela. Like Rowan said, definitely keep your job while looking for another part-time one. You can go on your lunch hour or after work. I used to do that...

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
The extent to which I'm not thinking clearly: I just tried to apply for a job in our area looking for a freelance photographer to shoot real estate - insides of houses, that kind of thing. I was halfway through the application and saw they wanted to know what kind of camera I have ...
which
I
do
not.
They would ask that question. Well, of course, I'd have gotten a camera. I just don't have one now.
Oy.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
Damn. And that would have been a fun part time job.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
You've gotten some good advice, one other thing I would consider is the message your sending your current boss. You mentioned that your hours might be reinstated after about 6 months, if things pick up. Obviously, your boss/company are having their share of issues in the current economy. They presented you with an option to try and keep you and the company going. By staying and working out some other sources of income, it would demonstrate that you are someone that can be worked with and that you understand that it's a necessity on their part. When things do pick up, you are going to look like a loyal employee who can ride it out through thick and thin.

What you say makes sense. Except: I've already been there, done that with this company. I have stuck it out through 13 years of thick and thin and been a loyal employee on many occasions.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
The extent to which I'm not thinking clearly: I just tried to apply for a job in our area looking for a freelance photographer to shoot real estate - insides of houses, that kind of thing. I was halfway through the application and saw they wanted to know what kind of camera I have ...
which
I
do
not.
They would ask that question. Well, of course, I'd have gotten a camera. I just don't have one now.
Oy.

Damn. And that would have been a fun part time job.

Your path here is clear. Go window shopping. Decide what kind of camera you'll buy if you get the job. Then apply for the job post haste...

:)

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
Ah. yes, Yeshanu. Good advice