Status
Not open for further replies.

whitehound

Resident rodent-freak
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.whitehound.co.uk
I am having a discussion with somebody about fine details of style. I won't tell you why, with whom, or which bit is whose, because I don't want to bias the vote. Just tell me, if you would, which of these slightly different version of the same scene you prefer.

For an instant she felt that he was freakish and dangerous. She decided in another instant that she was the one who got off on singing about blood and death and was therefore in no position to talk, and she grinned back in a sort of cosy, mutual malice. "Destruction to our enemies, then, Professor. Destruction to our enemies."

For an instant she felt that he was freakish and dangerous: decided in another instant that she was the one who got off on singing about blood and death and was therefore in no position to talk, and grinned back in a sort of cosy, mutual malice. "Destruction to our enemies, then, Prof. Destruction to our enemies."

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
I like the second one better, even though I don't like the use of the colon.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
whitehound said:
I am having a discussion with somebody about fine details of style. I won't tell you why, with whom, or which bit is whose, because I don't want to bias the vote. Just tell me, if you would, which of these slightly different version of the same scene you prefer.

For an instant she felt that he was freakish and dangerous. She decided in another instant that she was the one who got off on singing about blood and death and was therefore in no position to talk, and she grinned back in a sort of cosy, mutual malice. "Destruction to our enemies, then, Professor. Destruction to our enemies."

For an instant she felt that he was freakish and dangerous: decided in another instant that she was the one who got off on singing about blood and death and was therefore in no position to talk, and grinned back in a sort of cosy, mutual malice. "Destruction to our enemies, then, Prof. Destruction to our enemies."

Both seem wordy, and I hate the colon in the second one. I'd prefer it as:

He was freakish and dangerous, but then, he wasn’t the one who got off on blood and death. So she grinned back in a sort of cozy, mutual malice, saying, "Destruction to our enemies, Professor. Destruction to our enemies."

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
I prefer the first selection--it seems to flow a little better. I like the writing style.

Deleted member 42

azbikergirl said:
I prefer the first one. The colon leaps out at me in the second, and the phrase starting with 'decided' seems too long the way it's constructed.

The colon shouldn't be a colon, though semi-colon would be OK. I prefer the first.

loquax

I verb nouns adverbly
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Julie's post, if only for the inclusion of a "but". It separates the two contrasting statements much more effectively than any punctuation could.

Sharon Mock

Wing nut
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kirizal.livejournal.com
whitehound said:

1. Either one works, depending on the style of the surrounding writing.

2. Of the two, I prefer the sentence break to the colon, but otherwise prefer the second version.

3. Neither is the way I would write it personally, which might go something like:

She'd never noticed he was freakish and dangerous. On the other hand, she was the one who got off on singing about blood and death.

She grinned back with a sort of cosy, mutual malice. "Destruction to our enemies, then, Professor. Destruction to our enemies."

4. I wouldn't use "Prof" for Professor unless it's a nickname that's already well-established. Possibly not even then.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First for me.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Neither

whitehound said:

Either will do, neither is great, and both need to have a "THAT" removed.

zornhau

Swordsman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Both versions are flawed because you're telling rather than showing: stepping outside her head to tell us about the passage of time. Also, we need to see her reactions. For example, something a little like this:

He grinned wolfishly.

She shuffled back a pace. What a dangerous wierdo. But the way her blood-soaked soles stuck to the marmoleum reminded her that she was little better. With a smile, she cocked her Uzi. "Yeah, Prof. Kill them all and let God sort 'em out."
Not perfect, of course. However, the idea is to give her an reaction that takes "an instant", then have her mentally dismiss it. YMMV
Z

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
zornhau said:
Both versions are flawed because you're telling rather than showing:
It depends. If the versions are lifted from a WIP, maybe, maybe not--we'd need to know the surrounding text to say. If the versions were concocted so that they differ in one or two stylistic elements for the purpose of this informal poll, rewrites are useless, and weren't requested anyway.

zornhau

Swordsman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Though, actually, I stand by my original comments.

The colon was being used to separate two instants in time, so it was part of a construction which told rather than showed the POV character's changing perceptions over time.

It was a bit like asking: What shall I take into the gunfight? A fish or a surrealist manifesto?

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure the colon is the key stylistic element--only whitehound knows. Just pointing out that a specific question was asked, and the two examples might have been constructed just for that purpose.

As far as telling vs. showing goes, again, hard to say without knowing the context.

(it's difficult to do a good job of improving a sentence without knowing the voice of the rest of the work and the context of the sentence...)

zornhau

Swordsman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
brinkett said:
I'm not sure the colon is the key stylistic element--only whitehound knows. Just pointing out that a specific question was asked, and the two examples might have been constructed just for that purpose.

Problem was, I couldn't see anything redeeming in either of the two examples. How was I to answer? I could have said nothing, I suppose... I was only trying to help as I would in the workshop I attend. The OP can ignore my comments if they choose.

brinkett said:
As far as telling vs. showing goes, again, hard to say without knowing the context.

(it's difficult to do a good job of improving a sentence without knowing the voice of the rest of the work and the context of the sentence...)

Context: It was 3rd person past tense SF genre fiction rather than literary.

Voice: There's nothing magical about "voice". If the rest of the novel is in a similar "voice" then it's flawed and requires an edit.

Had it been in a 1st person conversational style, that might have been a different matter.

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
zornhau said:
Problem was, I couldn't see anything redeeming in either of the two examples. How was I to answer?
I don't like either style.

I could have said nothing, I suppose... I was only trying to help as I would in the workshop I attend. The OP can ignore my comments if they choose.
True.

Context: It was 3rd person past tense SF genre fiction rather than literary.
That's not what I meant by context. I meant the surrounding text, if there is any.

Voice: There's nothing magical about "voice". If the rest of the novel is in a similar "voice" then it's flawed and requires an edit.
You can't make that assessment based on one sentence lifted from the work (if there's a work).

Anyway, all I was trying to point out was that a specific question was asked, and critiquing/rewriting doesn't answer the question. I didn't mean to single you out specifically, and should have made that clear in my original response.

zornhau

Swordsman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Agreed. No flame intended or taken. We're just clarifying here!

I disagree with you, in that I think that in some cases you can take a chunk of text out of its page and tell that it's broken or probably broken. However, that's OT for this thread. 'nuff said.

Z

Status
Not open for further replies.