PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting me a GPS

sheadakota
03-06-2010, 07:19 AM
But I don't know much about them- my brother has a garmin and it looks pretty easy to use- any one have any suggestions?

Cella
03-06-2010, 07:26 AM
:nothing

I just wanted to say hi to Shea :hi:

aadams73
03-06-2010, 07:31 AM
I'd buy one but I'd get lost on the way to the store.

No, just kidding, my sense of direction is awesome. Except when it's not.

Fenika
03-06-2010, 07:36 AM
I both love my Garmin and hate it. The satellites aren't perfect at figuring out where you are, and sometimes thinks you are on an exit ramp when you aren't and vv, so always know a direction or two ahead (when there will be another exit near the first) so you don't do like me and cuss the damn thing to figure shit out NOW! Otoh, it sometimes is damn accurate. On my model you can check the accuracy in feet, but this changes as you drive (thus my issues with the exit lanes) (and occasionally it thinks I'm offroading when I'm not. Usually when I start out) (last complaint- heaven forbid you should fly with it or something and THEN turn it on. I swear it takes a half a damn hour to figure out why it's not where you left off, and sometimes it just assumes you are and you go searching for a location nearby and it claims it's 2k miles away. Sheesh.)

Also, mines defective and needs to go back. *grumble* (Garmin is great but has been having some issues)

But it plays MP3s and has saved my ass a few times, so I'll take it despite the issues. Just don't use it as a crutch or you'll be sorry. Occasionally the directions are quirky, same as you'd find on google maps, but unlike with google maps there's no easy way to change it.

*this all applies to my model ofc. Nuvi something or another. 755T? That # sounds too high... Is there a 355? lol

brainstorm77
03-06-2010, 03:03 PM
All I know is my dad got one two years ago and he enjoys it.

sheadakota
03-06-2010, 04:50 PM
HI CELLA!!:hi:

I almost feel embarrassed to admitt this, but since I've been married (almost 18 years) I don't drive much- just for groceries, kid stuff, vets and local stuff. My hubby is the long distance driver- the interstate makes me crazy and not in a good way.

When I was in college i used to drive to see my sister in Va (I'm in Pa) with just scribbled directions and no worries! I'd find it somehow.

Now I find myself with the daunting task of driving by myself too a writing conference - only an hour and a half away- but it still makes me nervous- I hat that but there you go!

My brother is going to let me borrow his garmin to see how i like it- but I am still going to have printed directions to go by as well- I know how to read a map and will have that as well-

why is this so scary? It really shouldn't be!

Thanks for the advice all!

Devil Ledbetter
03-06-2010, 04:51 PM
The Garmin Nuvi saved my marriage. My husband has never met a wrong turn he wouldn't take (what's that say about me?) and I get motion sickness reading maps while he's driving. His wrong-turning almost made us late for a My Morning Jacket concert in 2008 and that was the last straw.

I bought him the one that gives the street names. We've used it driving in Canada, all over Michigan, Ohio, Tennessee, Kentucky and Illinois and it hasn't gotten us lost yet. It has taken all of the stress out of travel. I can't even count the number of times he was surprised at the direction the Nuvi told him to turn. "Huh? Really? I would have gone the opposite way." Yeah, baby I know.

Our model is the Garmin Nuvi 255W (http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-4-3-Inch-Widescreen-Portable-Navigator/dp/B0015EWMX8). The price has come way down.

sheadakota
03-06-2010, 04:57 PM
LOL- I can so relate to that! But I have to admitt my husband has a great sense of direction- I on the other hand get lost in the mall-seriously, i leave a store and can't figure out what direction i was going when I walked in- *sigh*
Yeah I so need one of these-

heyjude
03-07-2010, 04:29 AM
LOL- I can so relate to that! But I have to admitt my husband has a great sense of direction- I on the other hand get lost in the mall-seriously, i leave a store and can't figure out what direction i was going when I walked in- *sigh*
Yeah I so need one of these-

You sound JUST like me! I have a Magellan, and she (we call her "Map Lady") has only *once* gotten me where I was going. Usually she has me driving hither and yon until I call my husband in a panic. He doesn't even answer my calls half the time any more.

Then I bought him a Tom Tom (he drives a lot of different places for work) and his works perfectly. Which just blows. I'm going to sneak and switch them.

sheadakota
03-07-2010, 04:33 AM
I would so totally switch them-lol!

rhymegirl
03-07-2010, 04:44 AM
We bought our daughter a very nice GPS for Christmas.

And somebody stole it out of her car.

Snowstorm
03-07-2010, 04:49 AM
I don't know much about them except to be wary of them. They might be great in towns/cities, but even then they're fallible. In my neck of the woods (and in several places in Wyoming), they're just flat wrong and/or present bad information. MANY people have run out of gas or ended up on two-track roads out in the wilderness because they're too stupid to read the map or look out the damn windshield reliant on the GPS.

sheadakota
03-07-2010, 12:29 PM
I don't know much about them except to be wary of them. They might be great in towns/cities, but even then they're fallible. In my neck of the woods (and in several places in Wyoming), they're just flat wrong and/or present bad information. MANY people have run out of gas or ended up on two-track roads out in the wilderness because they're too stupid to read the map or look out the damn windshield reliant on the GPS.
I agree -I remember hearing about the couple who got stranded on a road with no winter maintenance by following the GPS- In fact I tried to give a delevery guy directions to my house once and he assured me he was fine- he had a GPS- I told him uhh- no let me give you directions just in case- he wouldn't listen and ended up calling me about 2 hours later totally lost by following the GPS (I live out in the boonies) So yeah- I will use it with caution-

Devil Ledbetter
03-07-2010, 05:51 PM
I agree -I remember hearing about the couple who got stranded on a road with no winter maintenance by following the GPS- In fact I tried to give a delevery guy directions to my house once and he assured me he was fine- he had a GPS- I told him uhh- no let me give you directions just in case- he wouldn't listen and ended up calling me about 2 hours later totally lost by following the GPS (I live out in the boonies) So yeah- I will use it with caution-Yes, you will still need to use your common sense.

They are a real magnet for thieves. Last fall while traveling in Seattle my boss, who brilliantly went against my "overcautious" advice to bring it in instead of hiding it under the seat, lost his Garmin to a smash-n-grab. It was really fun driving around in a rental van full of broken glass while my co-worker tried to navigate in strange city.

Be sure to rub the suction cup mark off of your windshield before you leave the car, too.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb277/devilledbetter/7735_1160224418047_1600915547_30391.jpg

semilargeintestine
03-07-2010, 09:13 PM
I have a Garmin or Garvin or whatever it is. I love it, but I hardly use it. I don't drive to many places I don't know, so I don't get to use it that often. The few times I've used it though, it worked great. But, just like Google Maps or Mapquest, you have to be careful about getting inaccurate or outdated information. Just use common sense. It's usually not that difficult to realise the machine or map is taking you the wrong way.

Fran
03-07-2010, 09:52 PM
You still have to look where you're going.

If you end up in a lake you'll be on national news and everyone will point and laugh at you.

Other than that, go for it. :D

cscarlet
03-07-2010, 10:33 PM
I have used Garmin, Magellan, and Tom-Toms (I travel a lot). My favorite is the Garmin. Right now I have a nice lightweight Nuvi and I'm pretty happy with it.

pdknz
03-08-2010, 01:19 AM
Mine is a Garmin Etre Vista C. It's one of a large series of pocket size units by Garmin--they started out kinda simple and have developed through the action of Moore's law into incredibly complex and knowledgeable little tools. Mine was uploaded this summer (thanks to a GIS geek) with the local topo maps for Alaska, but it doesn't do the roads direction thing of "turn left" or whatever, because it doesn't talk, and because the nearest road is about 300 miles away.

It has a cute little habit though, because it always tells me "There's no road to your destination" when I'm boating on the Yukon River. I punch in the "no shit" response, and then it's happy. It is comforting sometimes, but then again, sometimes it's just another one of those little gadgets to play with while you freeze to death in the north woods.

sheadakota
03-08-2010, 02:51 AM
LOL- i will sincerly try not to drive into any lakes or freeze to death in the woods- but no promises-
Thanks for all the help!

sheadakota
03-08-2010, 04:54 PM
okay- what is the difference between a Garmin and a garmin nuvi?

pdknz
03-10-2010, 01:57 AM
okay- what is the difference between a Garmin and a garmin nuvi?

Features. Garmin is the brand name, and they have many models. Some are intended for hands-off operation, like in a car. Some are pocket models. Some talk, some don't, and so on. Personally, I don't like talking gadgets, and the pocket model works best for me. If you mainly drive a car, the choice would be much different, and I don't have any familiarity with car models.