Name Advice

Stunted

Ich heiße Superphantastisch!
Registered
Reaction score
In terms of cold aesthetics--so, assuming it fits the character and the world or whatnot--how do people feel about the name "Isidora"? Is it too long? Ugly? Thoughts? Thank you.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would probably change it to the more typical spelling of Isadora, but other than that it's fine. It's certainly not too long, nor does it sound "ugly".

PGK

They put those words in my head!
Registered
Reaction score
That's the female variant of Isidoros (which in Greece would earn you plenty of humiliation if it were your name). As the female variant, however, I find it very appealing.
(not saying that Isidoros would be bad in a historical context where it originates from)
And I also like both Isidora and Isadora (though looking at them side by side I'm leaning towards your original spelling).

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Makes me think of Isadora Duncan: glamorous, bad at choosing husbands, worse at picking scarves to wear in open-topped cars.

Stunted

Ich heiße Superphantastisch!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I've actually never heard "Isadora" before. My story has Greek influences, so I think I'm going to keep it "Isi". I'm glad people like it. Thanks for the advice, guys!

stitchingirl

Registered
Reaction score
I think, too, that sometimes it's the when the story is set that has a bearing on how names are spelled.

My daughter's name is Mariyah, but that name has always been spelled Mariah. I just like unusual spelling sometimes.

If Isidora was spelled like that at the time of the character's birth, then that's how the parents would've spelled it.

Nowadays, Michelle can be spelled Michelle or Michele. My parents were going to spell it Michele, but my grandmother said, "That's not how you spell it. It's Michelle." So...my name then became Michelle.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
In Ireland Isadora is a surprisingly common name. We generally pronouce it either Izz a dora or Eye sa dora.